Look what I found, what is it worth?

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows what the value of a Heathkit GD-18 would be. I had one a few years back and they are very nice sirens with a deep tone. I was fortunate to find one recently that appears to be a kit, all brand new. It has never been put together. I don't see many people selling any (built or kits)....are they becoming rare and valuable?

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2688.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2689.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2690.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2691.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2692.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2696.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2697.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2699.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2700.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2701.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2702.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c357_saleenxp8_Sirens_IMG_2706.jpg

Henry's GD-18

Reactions: FCV96
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
couldnt tell ya, but would be a fun thing to put together :)

I build alot of models, but gotta admit its the first time i have seen a siren that has to be put together. would be an interesting build

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I reently picked up a new in the box kit for the siren and the speaker, I gave $225 for both.

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
EHFD_Tower_751 said:
couldnt tell ya, but would be a fun thing to put together :)

If I had soldering skills, I wouldn't mind putting this one together. I might just sell this one unless I can find someone local who can build it for me.

FGS said:
Nice find! :thumbsup: Any chance of the wiring diagrams for this thing?

Unfortunately, that is the one thing it didn't come with. Hopefully I can find one online or maybe someone might have one.

Clarence H said:
The schematic is in the asembly book. It would be hard to find the book, for the model shown, that was one of the last versions, with the high lo tone.
Clarence

I didn't notice it had a high low tone until you mentioned that! Wow...I thought Heathkit made only one model with just Wail/Yelp tones. I'll check with Henry to see if he has any schematics on this siren. I think I remember him mentioning that he use to build Heathkit sirens.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
That is a GD-1810, as already stated that is a later model with the addition of the Hi-Lo tone. All I have is the earlier GD-18 manuals. The reprinted manuals are are available but expect to pay $20.00+ for one. Just Google search " Heathkit GD-1810 manual" As far as value, I have seen the assembled ones available for $40.00-70.00 on the net, unbuilt kits 3-4 times that amount. As long as you have a 25-40 watt soldering iron and a few basic hand tools, assembly should not be a problem. The step by step instructions in the manual were written for the novice.

Jack Downunder

Jun 30, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have a GD-1810 down here in Australia, so they did travel & go global!
Would love to get a copy of the assembly manual, just in case.
I acquired it secondhand for my collection works wonderful & great tones!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I love the low-pitched wail and yelp tones. Sounds like a 1960s era electronic siren.

The only thing I don't like about a lot of siren demos on YouTube is that the demonstrator always has to push the manual button when the wail and yelp tones are running. To me that sounds dumb.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Now that's a cool find. I would love to put something like that together. Great inside project for a hot Georgia summer.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I've always wondered why all electronic sirens nowadays have relatively high-pitched tones as compared to their older counterparts.
Smaller speakers had something to do with that. The more compact speakers that came into use during the early 1970s worked better with higher pitched sirens. Federal redesigned the PA15A and PA20A sirens to produce higher pitched tones around that time (the PA15A series 1E and PA20A series 2E).

Safetyman

Sep 18, 2017
Baldwinsville, NY
There was a WD-5130 from the Zenith/Heath kit era. The 5130 was a factory built unit. Equipped with wail and yelp. Identical looking to the GD18. Right down to the cracked plastic front panel.

Safetyman

Sep 18, 2017
Baldwinsville, NY
I have the 5130. Bought from a member of this forum. Usual faceplate crack, Original mic in goodshape. Had Kent Fitzgerald from Retro Tech tune it up. It works great. I bought the 5130 manual from Heath from their archives for $18.00.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.