Looking for a low amperage grille LED

unioner101

Jun 1, 2011
Old Bridge, NJ
I am looking for a grille LED (TIR3 or similar) that has a very low amperage draw (trying to be under 200 mA).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I am looking for a grille LED (TIR3 or similar) that has a very low amperage draw (trying to be under 200 mA).

In that power range, you’re limited to a single LED (e.g., Sound Off Fusion), which won’t have enough output for effective warning. Why the low power restriction?

unioner101

Jun 1, 2011
Old Bridge, NJ
Its for use of an alerting system. The system uses Cat5 but 23 AWG wire which is only rated for roughly 750 mA. I am trying to get each system to support four alerting devices.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so this isnt for a vehicle?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Use that amperage from the alerting system to trigger relays to run whatever you want. It’ll work much better in the long run.
Seth

Reactions: Jarred J.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I agree with Seth. I would use something like a Feniex cannon, though, to give you a wide dispersion of illumination, instead of a lighthead that just directs warning in one direction.
However, if you’re set on the ultra low mA, consider the Whelen OS marker lights or their SOS fusion counterparts (since they’re LED marker lights, they draw a lot less than a traditional grill)

unioner101

Jun 1, 2011
Old Bridge, NJ
I found the LED Outfitters SEM3 has a listed amperage of 150 mA. Has anyone used these before and have any feedback?

Amperage is my main concern. 23AWG Cat 5 is rated for something like 730 mA, I am using a 750 mA power supply. My #1 concern is keeping the amperage low and running the output devices (a light, a fire alarm bell, and a radio speaker) with Cat 5 wire, because Cat 5 is exempt from electrical permitting and when installing in a public building that is a significant concern.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
LED outfitters has a terrible reputation here for quality/reliability and customer service.
If you’re strapped for $ and want a private brand item, look at Strobes N More’s E series lights or Advanced Warning Lights. A lot of the standard small grill lights draw an avg of 0.5 amps

Otherwise, check out my suggestions above like a Feniex Cannon (ideally) or a Whelen/SOS marker light (if you’re set on the amperage)

Reactions: Tony P and C17LVFD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.