Looking for a new duty flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I've been carrying a Stinger DS LED since about 2005 when I worked midnights. I've replaced the battery a couple times, bought a couple new chargers, etc. Battery is dying again after about 2 years. Won't hold a charge through lite use over the work week. I think this flashlight has given me as much use as I can reasonably expect.

I'm looking for a new duty flashlight.
I want LED.
I want rechargeable with a plug, not having to worry about swapping out batteries as I'm driving down the road.
I want a light big enough that I can tuck it under my arm and write notes or perform SFST's etc.
I want at least 500 lumens for an extended period of time.
I want a tactical flashlight with a switch on the tailcap. I don't care about a billion features... I want to be able to easily turn it on and off.

Can I get some recommendations for y'all are using?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Streamlight has something that will for sure fit your criteria. I have 6 different models of their lights and multiples of each model, none have failed me yet. Mine are used for fire/EMS, working on vehicles, and around the house.

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
i carry the streamlight protac HL 3; 3 settings (high strobe and low power) . its unbeliebably bright on high, disarming on strobe, and perfect for standard night ops on low. it also features a clip on the handle which is allows for hands free use, which had come in handy (pun intended) countless times

Last edited:

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I still carry a Streamlight Stinger LED that I bought in Jan 2009. Absolutely love it. SL replaced the head and tail assembly after just the lens cracked in a foot chase back in 2010. SL replaced the battery for me a few months ago. So 1 battery in 10 years, and it's so beat up practically the entire light is silver from being scratched and banged so many times. I love it. It'd take a pretty serious light for me to change.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
thats why I like the Mag lite Tac Lite, tail cap switch, rechargeable, Crowned bezel for acupressure or pain to a fighting offender, or breaking glass, Lithium Ion Battery, 3 Modes, High, Low, Disorienting Strobe... can plug it in to the car by cigarette lighter setup or charge in house ive had this minimum of 6 years plus now just replaced the battery due to a charging issue it was having... i have 2 Magchargers and a bunch of regular maglites...

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
. i have 2 Magchargers and a bunch of regular maglites...

I also have an old battle axe magcharger and 3 mini mags (1 std., 1led convert, 1 led factory). Would still trust the Streamlight over mag for duty work.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
This light won't fit the bill 100% for your requirements, but I'm just throwing it out as an option. Fenix TK16, 800 lumens, runs off of dual CR123As or rechargeable 18650 batteries, both the mode switch and the on/off switch are on the tailcap. It will latch on or you can use it as a momentary. The reason I strongly recommend it is because when the light is off, the mode switch activates the full brightness strobe, which is a great feature on traffic stops. I run one on my duty belt, and one on my patrol carbine with the remote pressure switch, which also has both switches on it.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Stinger all the way. Batteries don't last forever. Replace them and keep on truckin.

I've also had the 1,000 lumen protac HLx. Another great streamlight.

Reactions: Dave F

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Stinger all the way. Batteries don't last forever. Replace them and keep on truckin.
I've been researching flashlights for a while now and this is what I ultimately decided to do. Just purchased a Li-ion stinger battery that should last longer and have a longer life. I've got my dept issued halogen Maglite as a backup.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I've looked at each light that was recommended, and for one reason or another they didn't fit my wants. I guess I like the ease of use with the DS Led, the brightness and battery life, the easy charging system, the size/heft/materials.

Phillyrube, I'm always on the lookout for a quality backup flashlight! I started my career on midnights, so I know the value of always having another light! Let me know when you are looking to sell, for the right price I might be interested in one more!!!

Thanks again all!!!

Reactions: Dave F

soutthpaw

May 2, 2018
Sparks, NV
I just got a Streamlight Protac HL 5X. best flashlight I have ever owned. sold my Protac HL due to not being able to use rechargeable batteries with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.