Looking for Information on Dominion Siren (Pictures Added)

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Any information on Dominion Signal Company? I am picking up a 6v siren and can find no information on them.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
This is the siren. I was just intrigued by it and could not find another one like it. I negotiated a good deal on it. The unique design is really the siren ports. The sharp edging to the ports. The motor housing is similar to early Sterling. I am sure the grill is unique to the Dominion as is the tag. The tag says "Manufactured for" so someone else made it. It is about the size of a Federal 28 with a 5-1/2" fan.

Anyone have a clue to the actual manufacturer?

The only ones I know of are rebranded Federal sirens.
Not sure it's a federal.

Dom1.jpg Dom2.jpg Dom3.jpg

Dom4.jpg dom5.jpg

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
This seems to be another ”Dominion” than the Canadian company Dominion Auto of Toronto, Canada.
This company’s name is Dominion Signal Company of Richmond, Virginia, USA.

I can not say that I ever have seen this siren before in any brands name.

Nice find for your collection.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I see the following searching the company listings:
1904: Dominion Messenger and Signal Company, Toronto, Canada
1910: Dominion Signal Company in Quebec Canada
1960: Dominion Signal Company, Richmond, Virginia
1964: Dominion Signal Company bid for Putnam Co., NY
1969: Dominion Traffic Sign and Signal Company, Virginia USA
1973: Dominion Signal Company Inc., 1606-10 Magnolia St., P.O.Box 6087, Richmond , VA

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I do not know if this is the same company or if it is two different companies.

The oldest Dominion Auto catalogue I have is from 1966 and their name at that time was Dominion Auto Accessories Limited, Toronto, Canada.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I've seen old road signs marked Dominion Signal Co., Richmond, Va...the kind using glass "cat's eye" in the letters for light reflection. That would place them in the 30s or 40s at least.

Agree with those serrated edges. Found this picture of a DSC sign

.Dominion Signal Co 1.jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Solved ! Thanks to a member of a Facebook page. This down was made by Persons Magestic in the 1930s or early 1940s. Persons primarily made bicycle sirens and accessories but did make some vehicle and firetruck sirens during that time period. The grill is their trademark design.

Screenshot_20190512-084342_Chrome.jpg

This catalog is estimated to be 1920s.
s-l1600 (7).jpg

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
The siren arrived today. Looks great ! I am going to take it apart and make it like new again. I want to get this old silver paint off. I suspect the motor cover is aluminum, I hope the grill is brass but we will see. None of it is magnetic.

I did a video of the power test. It has a great sound. Very loud, kind of high pitch.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Reminds me of the Federal "O" and "V" series.

Interesting.. I did some comparison and the Model 0 has a 4-7/8" fan, this one has a 5" fan. So very close to size. I found a youtube video of an 0 and played it simultaneously with my video and they are almost identical in sound. Mind gets just a little higher than the 0 in the video.

Depguy

May 28, 2021
Montreal
Dominion Signal of Toronto changed their name in 1924 to Dominion Electric Protection Co. The siren was probably an oem product labeled Dominion Signal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.