Lumen info

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Is there any documents available listing the lumens of Whelen warning lights?

I only ever see it referenced on scene lights.

Thanks,

RK

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
There are vast differences in perceived brightness among class 1 rated lights, some are so poor that I'm mystified how they got a class 1 rating (the FedSig UltraStar LED beacon comes to mind, but there are others). Your question is a good one, it's kind of like vehicle headlights, they all meet the SAE spec but some are far better than others.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This article might be of interest:
This says so well what I always complain about. Good lights used badly become bad lights. Modern major manufacturers all make lights suitable for various applications. The failures are almost always the installation or usage. A pair of halogen flashers aimed properly and flashing at a steady rate beats a pair of the most modern LEDs on "goofy split multi-color blob mode". I would like to see not only lumens listed but also better information about how to utilize products to get get maximum effectiveness. I would like to see companies state that ratings and compliance are not maintained when utilized in certain ways. Chicago's ambulances are a great example of otherwise decent lights being worthless due to setup.

Compare

to

The second video likely has more total lumens, but I question the effectiveness.

Reactions: 167 and firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.