Mahwah, NJ Full Blue Lightbars on Fire Trucks

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I'm not a firefighter so I don't know the method to the madness....but shouldn't they be more worried about the structure fire than the van fire? I don't see them putting any water on the structure for the first three minutes of the video.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
unityrv26 said:
I'm not a firefighter so I don't know the method to the madness....but shouldn't they be more worried about the structure fire than the van fire? I don't see them putting any water on the structure for the first three minutes of the video.

You don't even see firefighters until 3 minutes in! :dielaugh:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Dual color LEDs would make it possible for them to "clear the right of way" in red/blue or all red, then "block the right of way" in blue and amber.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
If u look on fdnytrucks.com they have all the Mahwah apparatus. Some have all red others all blue and some mixed. I find it strange.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Interesting, Mahwah was like 10-15 minutes from me in NJ and I never saw their all blue trucks...

JohnMarcson said:
Dual color LEDs would make it possible for them to "clear the right of way" in red/blue or all red, then "block the right of way" in blue and amber.

Totally digging that idea.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
unityrv26 said:
Just a guess, but I'm thinking of two words: gas tank.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Only thing I'll say about the firefighting is I understand wanting to concentrate on the van because of the gas tank and it looks like a work van so who knows what's in it. But while they had one line on the van they should've also had a couple hand lines stretched for the house fire. Instead they were running around making spaghetti out of LDH supply hose. As far as the all blue light bars that makes no sense, NJ is a courtesy light state so I can't understand why they would want all blue bars. There are also a few light bars that need to have their patterns changed. Having different color light bars so the IC can tell companies apart makes no sense, the last thing the IC is going to look at are the colors of the lights on the trucks coming in.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Eric223 said:
Blue is not a courtesy light in NJ and hasn't been for several years now.
It's still a blue light and no siren on POVs state though right? I know that they allow some blue on fire vehicles, but I think their vollies still use it minus a siren on their POVs.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Eric223 said:

Based on location, are you the Eric I'm thinking of?

JohnMarcson said:
It's still a blue light and no siren on POVs state though right? I know that allow it on fire vehicles, but I think their vollies still use it minus a siren on their POVs.

Correct. The blue light does not grant any additional allowances to volunteers responding to a call for service. They still are not supposed to "break" an intersection, travel against traffic flow, or disregard other traffic laws. They also may not use any audible warning device. Any NJ Vollie who says otherwise is misinformed. The bill they will reference is what comes up on google when you search for use of an electric air horn. It was a proposed bill but was NOT passed.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
MtnMan said:
Just a guess, but I'm thinking of two words: gas tank.

Evidently your not a firefighter either........lol.

parr555

Jan 31, 2011
michigan
my fire dept bought a retired mahwah fire dept tower 2 and when we recieved it it had all blue to the front and blue to the back. tower 2.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
theroofable said:
Someone posted on here before that each company has different colored lights so that command can tell them apart.

IF that is truly the rationale (or a major contributing factor) that is one ridiculous idea. When running such a call, IC should always have a whiteboard out with a basic layout/aerial view of the structure and where units are operating (ie E3 attack on delta side, R1 crew alpha side on RIT, etc). Some battalion chiefs I know even park down the road and prefer to just operate by their whiteboards, PAR boards, and radio reports from crews operating inside the IDLH (I'm not a big fan of that approach, personally). While I like to be able to see what's going on, however, I'm not going to spec a rig with all X color emergency lighting for that one purpose, and IF I felt it was absolutely necessary to have some flashing indicator at night of which vehicle is which, A single strobe beacon (assuming its not green) would probably sufficient. I mean, u don't see all command vehicles responding code 3 with 100% green lightbars and perimeter lights merely for on scene identification purposes.

Being in a state that allows both red and blue pretty much anywhere on fire apparatus (as opposed to the states where I've worked fire rescue: NY=red on all sides with blue only to rear, FL=all red and no blue), it's disappointing to see that Mahwah is restricting themselves to single colors/ they aren't taking advantage of having a solid mix of both colors, b/c each color has its own benefit (ie red better at day vs blue better at night) and a proper combination of multiple colors can improve the safety/visibility/effectiveness of their rigs when responding and when parked on scene

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
The only reason I would think they put blue is so ppl will respect the POV's responding with blue lights. Just my 2 cents. I dont think command is a reason.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
VolEms said:
The only reason I would think they put blue is so ppl will respect the POV's responding with blue lights. Just my 2 cents. I dont think command is a reason.

I like that idea. I'll go with it. Also there was a picture on here a while ago of a NJ police car with a completely blue light bar. Dont remember where in NJ it was from.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
NJEMT said:
I like that idea. I'll go with it. Also there was a picture on here a while ago of a NJ police car with a completely blue light bar. Dont remember where in NJ it was from.

that was me. it was a Stafford NJ police car.

here it is. still have no explanation on it

as for the Mahwah truck, if i recall correctly, it was just to differentiate between the different companies within the town.

staffordnj15.jpg

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Eric223 said:

So a Vollie responding Blue with no siren in a POV ppl need to pull over and he can run traffic lights???

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
JohnMarcson said:
It's still a blue light and no siren on POVs state though right? I know that they allow some blue on fire vehicles, but I think their vollies still use it minus a siren on their POVs.
Yes. However the law says emergency vehicle can have red or blue. So you can go all blue and still be legal.

VolEms said:
I find it strange since in NJ Blue is a Courtesy light.
I find it strange you say that because last time I checked it was a mandatory yield state

efdny2003 said:
NJ is a courtesy light state so I can't understand why they would want all blue bars. There are also a few light bars that need to have their patterns changed. Having different color light bars so the IC can tell companies apart makes no sense, the last thing the IC is going to look at are the colors of the lights on the trucks coming in.
No, and apparently they do because they do have different colored lights. Yeah you might find it strange, but if it has been working for them for years, it is just fine to me. That might be the first thing the IC looks for. Remember, these trucks with different light schemes report to the same chief, since its one department.

pdk9 said:
IF that is truly the rationale (or a major contributing factor) that is one ridiculous idea. When running such a call, IC should always have a whiteboard out with a basic layout/aerial view of the structure and where units are operating (ie E3 attack on delta side, R1 crew alpha side on RIT, etc). Some battalion chiefs I know even park down the road and prefer to just operate by their whiteboards, PAR boards, and radio reports from crews operating inside the IDLH (I'm not a big fan of that approach, personally). While I like to be able to see what's going on, however, I'm not going to spec a rig with all X color emergency lighting for that one purpose, and IF I felt it was absolutely necessary to have some flashing indicator at night of which vehicle is which, A single strobe beacon (assuming its not green) would probably sufficient. I mean, u don't see all command vehicles responding code 3 with 100% green lightbars and perimeter lights merely for on scene identification purposes.

Being in a state that allows both red and blue pretty much anywhere on fire apparatus (as opposed to the states where I've worked fire rescue: NY=red on all sides with blue only to rear, FL=all red and no blue), it's disappointing to see that Mahwah is restricting themselves to single colors/ they aren't taking advantage of having a solid mix of both colors, b/c each color has its own benefit (ie red better at day vs blue better at night) and a proper combination of multiple colors can improve the safety/visibility/effectiveness of their rigs when responding and when parked on scene

1. If it works for them, why should they change it. Just because you think its silly, doesnt mean that it isnt effective.

2. Green is not an emergency vehicle warning color, blue is.

3. I agree that if it was my choice, I would choose different colors, but its up to them in the end. Obviously the science doesnt matter to them

4. Who says they dont use a white board just on the fact that their trucks use specific light colors. Now THAT is a ridiculous statement.

VolEms said:
So a Vollie responding Blue with no siren in a POV ppl need to pull over and he can run traffic lights???

People need to pull over. Nobody can run a traffic light. The law gets pretty gray with this. If everyone stops (as they are supposed to according to the law) there is no point in sitting there if it is safe to cross. I dont have to worry about this because there is only one on my way to the station, and I do wait for it (only a few seconds) when it is red.

zackvv

Oct 4, 2011
Bergen County NJ
foxtrot5 said:
Based on location, are you the Eric I'm thinking of?

Correct. The blue light does not grant any additional allowances to volunteers responding to a call for service. They still are not supposed to "break" an intersection, travel against traffic flow, or disregard other traffic laws. They also may not use any audible warning device. Any NJ Vollie who says otherwise is misinformed. The bill they will reference is what comes up on google when you search for use of an electric air horn. It was a proposed bill but was NOT passed.

Pretty sure in NJ you can run a 100W air horn only.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
zackvv said:

You can have a siren too, but if you want to keep it legal you cant use a noise making device while responding.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
It looks like red is still the only legit emergency color. The law states you can't go through a light with blue lights flashing.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
zackvv said:

Most PDs will "turn a blind eye" to an airhorn but under current NJ law (as far as I know) is it technically not allowed. Don't take my word on it, consult NJ DMV and/or ask your local PD to provide you with a copy of the current vehicle code and applicable laws.

Eric223

Sep 23, 2011
USA NY/NJ/VA
JohnMarcson said:

Yes. However, motorists MUST yield to a flashing blue light as per MV code, hence, not a courtesy.

blulytes

Jan 25, 2013
Chester County PA
unityrv26 said:

If you look at one of the first sections of the video at 0:58 you can see there is already a line in the door, so the guys working on the car is just a secondary crew.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Eric223 said:

Well, welcome to ELB! It's about time you got on here. Toss up some photos of that nice truck of yours!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
VolEms said:
It looks like red is still the only legit emergency color. The law states you can't go through a light with blue lights flashing.
Where does it state this? All drivers must yield to a flashing blue light in the same manner as emergency vehicles pursuant to RS 39:4-92 (which includes intersections)

foxtrot5 said:
Most PDs will "turn a blind eye" to an airhorn but under current NJ law (as far as I know) is it technically not allowed. Don't take my word on it, consult NJ DMV and/or ask your local PD to provide you with a copy of the current vehicle code and applicable laws.
Prohibited are sirens, whistles, or bells to non emergency vehicles. Not airhorns.

Last edited by a moderator:

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
theroofable said:
Someone posted on here before that each company has different colored lights so that command can tell them apart.

Weird - we tell ours apart by using different numbers on each. ;)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
theroofable said:
1. If it works for them, why should they change it. Just because you think its silly, doesnt mean that it isnt effective.

2. Green is not an emergency vehicle warning color, blue is.

3. I agree that if it was my choice, I would choose different colors, but its up to them in the end. Obviously the science doesnt matter to them

4. Who says they dont use a white board just on the fact that their trucks use specific light colors. Now THAT is a ridiculous statement.

A) I never said that they don't use a whiteboard "just on the fact that their trucks use specific colors." I was saying that ICs rely on tools that they have at their disposal for tracking where all units are, such as a whiteboard; thus, for example, the IC could rely on his whiteboard (or similar tracking tools), so that he/she doesn't have to look all over the fireground (trying to determine which truck is which, based on lights) or have a truck's lights spec-ed for an on-scene ID purpose, IF that was what really played a factor in the department's decision for all blue on that particular rig.

B) The comment on green was just a split second EXAMPLE I typed; I never said it was a warning color in NJ. I didn't think that I had to pre-analyze each opinion I was going to share on ELB, based on the assumption that some desktop jockey would starting probing it...if that were the case, FOR EXAMPLE, you could have some people from other places of the world arguing with you about what constitutes a warning color, because green is used on the vehicles of emergency responders in their area

C) Why don't you find something else to do besides being a desktop commando and trying to feel like hot $hit by twisting what others say when they share their thoughts, so that you can try and feel smart when responding to other comments; it's not like any of us who disagree with their color choice of all blue on this particular piece of apparatus are petitioning the commissioners and chief staff of that dept. to change anything.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
pdk9 said:
C) Why don't you find something else to do besides being a desktop commando and trying to feel like hot $hit by twisting what others say when they share their thoughts, so that you can try and feel smart when responding to other comments; it's not like any of us who disagree with their color choice of all blue on this particular piece of apparatus are petitioning the commissioners and chief staff of that dept. to change anything.

I never tried to be "desktop commando" as you say. I was just simply replying to what you had said. All that I am saying is that it works for them, and they obviously have a reason for doing so, and I was giving some reasons why they have this setup. Do I think it is the way to go? No, but they do. Why do you attack me because I had a valid argument? I'm not trying to attack you, feel smart, or act like hot shit (as you said), just saying what I think, just as you did. I did not twist your words either, I simply replied to exactly what you had previously written. Why are you getting so pissed off and calling me names? Is it because I had a different viewpoint as you did? In that case, I apologize.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
please tell me you people are not sitting stopped at traffic lights, with your blue lights flashing ? :weird: :hopeless: :duh:

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
Surprised no comments about the PASS alarm sounding constant for most of the video, RIT team just standing there. That posses me off, if one is sounding do a PAR figure out why it's sounding and from where.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Bonanno said:
Surprised no comments about the PASS alarm sounding constant for most of the video, RIT team just standing there. That posses me off, if one is sounding do a PAR figure out why it's sounding and from where.

It's Bergen County NJ... the pass alarm is because the rookie/probie/fng at the rehab area can't shake every jacket at the same time!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.