Making a light housing... Help Needed...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
As many of you know, I'm no newb when it comes to making custom lightbars, franken-bars, custom lighting...

- BUT -

I'm at a loss with a current little side project... I have the innards of a FedSig 4-Head CN stick, but thats all I have... I've been trying for months (actually, almost 2 years I think) to source a housing for it to no avail. (and no, I'm NOT buying one from FedSig because I don't have any spare gold bricks laying around) So my next step is to try and make something to put it in that is weather resistant. (Yes its going to be an exterior light because my department doesn't like interior blue lights... Lame, I know... LoL)

Just wondering is anyone has tried to do such a task before...? Looking for some pointers on how to go about it...

I've debated on cutting an LFL Frame to the length I need, trying to bend it into a "C" so it can use LFL lenses... But then the issue becomes how do I seal the ends...? I've never seen a "surface mount" version of the LFL platform. In theory, that would be perfect to use. I could try and source a 9M/9000 series one but then there would be a bunch of wasted space...

Again, this is a spit-balling session really, looking for ideas or tips... Thanks again y'all!!!

Reactions: Dave F
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
What about a flush mount advantEDGE frame??

or do you want it to be 360*

Ooooooorrrrrrrr an axixtech torrent frame, then you could use the frame, lenses and endcaps and go nuts with side warning

As stated in the OP, i've debated using a 9M/9000 chasis surface mount (4500 series I think), but finding one has proved tough... Not needing any off axis/side warning, this is basically gonna be a directional light. Hopefully used as a grill light for my blue set-up

Wood. You can make anything out of wood and plexiglass
I mean, that's an option... LoL

Some people in other groups have been havig success using 3D Printers...
Very true, and I have been thinking about getting a 3D printer just for shits & giggles... Making the enclosure would be simple enough (relatively simple anyway, after I learn how to use a 3D printer effectively) The problem with that comes with makes a lens for it... That would require a resin style printer... But then the issue of cost comes back into it with buying the printer and materials and then time spent making prototypes and possible failed prints, ect...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
As stated in the OP, i've debated using a 9M/9000 chasis surface mount (4500 series I think), but finding one has proved tough... Not needing any off axis/side warning, this is basically gonna be a directional light. Hopefully used as a grill light for my blue set-up

I mean, that's an option... LoL

Very true, and I have been thinking about getting a 3D printer just for shits & giggles... Making the enclosure would be simple enough (relatively simple anyway, after I learn how to use a 3D printer effectively) The problem with that comes with makes a lens for it... That would require a resin style printer... But then the issue of cost comes back into it with buying the printer and materials and then time spent making prototypes and possible failed prints, ect...
Couldn’t you just print something that uses an existing lens?

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.