Maritime Rescue Hoax Calls linked in NJ and Texas

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
Additional info from Coast Guard releases new information in New Jersey probable hoax case

Some of the similarities of the two cases include:

1. Both calls seem to originate from land. With the Sandy Hook case, Coast Guard direction finding equipment points to an area from the north shore of Staten Island, over New Jersey to near the George Washington Bridge.

2. The caller specifically contacted a Coast Guard Vessel Traffic Service in both cases. Typically when a person is in distress they will ask for the Coast Guard in general or hail mayday on VHF channel 16, the known emergency frequency.

3. The same terminology was used in both the Houston and Sandy Hook case, and not all of it was standard nautical/non-military mariner terminology. The caller, for both cases specifically stated they were "taking on water," not sinking. He used "souls" to describe the people aboard and "beacon" to describe a supposed automatic signaling device on liferafts.

4. The caller in both cases gave very specific locations of distress and distances, while at the same time exhibiting throughout the calls unfamiliarity with the area and/or using references to location that a boat captain typically wouldn't use.

5. Voice and manner of speaking were similar for both calls.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
uniden278 said:

One of the network news stations previously played parts of the recording from the NJ call. From the parts that I heard, it sounded like the caller was amost monotone or reading from a script. My first reaction when I heard it was that there was no way it was a real call.

In a previous job, I fielded calls coming over HF and satellite connections from oil rigs and ships at sea with medical emergencies on board. This call did not have "the sound" to it that any call from a ship ever had. Hard to describe and it just came down to one of those "gut feelings," much like those who have fielded 911 calls will be familiar with, where you hang up the phone and know that the call is pure BS, but you have to dispatch it anyway.

Hopefully they will catch this clown before he's able to do this again.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
hopefully they get the guy, we had a LOT of recources tied up at this. put a lot of people at risk. We had over 200 responders there. (3 BLS Strike Teams, 1 ALS Strike Team, 2 MAB, 1 SOV, 1 MCRU, 1 SAMT, Command Staff, 6 Medevacs, 3 Rescues, 3-4 Ladders, 5 Engines, plus LE and Coast Guard Side)

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
So is this guy just a asshat prankster or could this be something more? Dry runs? Probing?

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
Very unfortunate the resources tied up in this hoax. Sure does make you wonder what they were up to. I dare a guess that they aren't just asshats, that they either were distracting everyone for a reason or wanted some intel on how the gears work in the machine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.