MARS SL60 Cleaned Up

This isn't really my sort of thing, but I grabbed this MARS siren light for a decent price with the thought that I'd have to sand it and paint it red or white. It ended up cleaning up ok actually and I'm glad I didn't have to paint it. It's 6vdc and has an internal can flasher. I need to get some more vintage style cloth jacket wire in and rewire it, but it runs and has the low tone I expected.

PXL_20240608_164252860.MP.jpg

PXL_20240608_164340091.MP.jpg

PXL_20240608_164258290.MP.jpg

PXL_20240608_164334581.MP.jpg

The glass isn't cracked (there is a surface scuff) which is what I was afraid of based on the picture with it covered up.
PXL_20240608_164411342.MP.jpgPXL_20240608_164242727.MP.jpg

If anyone would enjoy it more than me, let me know. I'd gladly trade for old Whelen items or sell it.

Well done, sir! It looks fantastic! Try some 0000 steel wool on the glass to get those scuffs reduced. Add a little tooth paste if necessary.

The only mechanical sirens I have in my display are a Q2B I got for $75, a beautifully restored B&M S8B (also $75—same source/time as the Q) and a 78B DualTone like the one one the first fire truck I volunteered on...beautifully restored by John “Sirenman” Dorgan, RIP.

Well done, sir! It looks fantastic! Try some 0000 steel wool on the glass to get those scuffs reduced. Add a little tooth paste if necessary.

The only mechanical sirens I have in my display are a Q2B I got for $75, a beautifully restored B&M S8B (also $75—same source/time as the Q) and a 78B DualTone like the one one the first fire truck I volunteered on...beautifully restored by John “Sirenman” Dorgan, RIP.
I haven't attacked the glass yet, but I will keep that in mind, thanks. I wish I had at least one "Dorgan" siren in my collection. I don't really collect mechanical sirens either, but one of his pieces would be worth it. I've also always wanted one of the free rolling or "Q similar" sirens, either a later MARS Commander, a Sterling "Free Rolling", or a Sireno 4000 series.

Of course dual tone sirens are cool too. Mechanical sirens are one of those things I like and have interest in, but I am not prepared to dedicate the room, time, or money.... like trap shooting or fishing.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng
We had a Sterling on the hood of our utility pickup…most anemic siren ever!
Some were really hard to hear, I just like the mechanism. They made a really "whiney sounding" that didn't ramp up well too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scannerdude