May Issue of Hemming's Classic Car Magazine Features Police Car Restorations

Featured in this month's Hemming's Classic Car magazine is this beauty!

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395358450.387521.jpg

The article also references our recently departed friend, John "Sirenman" Dorgan as the source for the pulsator. The great pics and close ups can be found here:

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2014/05/01/hmn_feature1.html

The mag also includes a story on the history of NYPD RMPs. Enjoy a trip back to 1971 (the start of my senior year in high school)!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
From the story: "Unfortunately, due to drag from the items mounted on the roof, these cars had a top speed of 14 1/2 MPH."

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JazzDad said:
From the story: "Unfortunately, due to drag from the items mounted on the roof, these cars had a top speed of 14 1/2 MPH."

The Plymouth shown above has one of the McDermott light bars behind the beacon. I've seen pix of some NYPD cars that had the McDermott bars elevated waaaay above the car. Now that would be some drag!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I like the Beacon Ray 175 with the tall base. Too bad NYPD didn't go with the hill light version.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I like the Beacon Ray 175 with the tall base. Too bad NYPD didn't go with the hill light version.

Actually, NYPD did use the 175 hill lights; and like the one in the picture, they also used the high skirt. That was to elevate the beacon above the P660 pulsator sirens they used.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The 175 is the "hill light" version of the Beacon Ray.

NYPD had them specially made by Federal with a slightly different tilt to the tilted beams than the standard 175.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
The 175 is the "hill light" version of the Beacon Ray.
NYPD had them specially made by Federal with a slightly different tilt to the tilted beams than the standard 175.

Thanks, Dan. That's something I've never heard about. But Federal did a lot of special builds here and there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.