McDermott Fireball clone

Jun 18, 2013
PA
A few years back, I think I posted some information on this. Now I have gotten a few requests to do a video on it, apparently no longer available from McDermott so information about it is scarce.

Optimized-20210625_173753.jpgOptimized-20210625_173907.jpgOptimized-20210625_173845.jpgOptimized-20210625_173822.jpgOptimized-20210625_174818.jpg

Tried to make a quick video.. and that was a bust.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The McDermott teardrop beacon is interesting, think this is the first time I have seen one. A 795X halogen bulb in the McDermott would vastly improve its light output. I have an old, Dietz 7-07 teardrop as my roadside warning device. I put a 795 bulb in it and saw improved light output. Then I put in a 795X bulb and it is highly effective, far better than the old incandescent bulb.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
I have one in amber as a "break down" light. I picked it up used for $10. It does well for that in amber. I'm not sure of the plastic reflector would handle the additional heat of a halogen 795. It seems kinda thin, at least in mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_153208162_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210626_153208162_HDR.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210626_153240155.jpg
    IMG_20210626_153240155.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 12

JohnN_NYC

Mar 8, 2021
New York
I love the green lens, according to my father, when my grandmother was a Volunteer EMT in NYC, she had a light similar to this, most likely a different light, but still used green. Very nice light!

Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I love the green lens, according to my father, when my grandmother was a Volunteer EMT in NYC, she had a light similar to this, most likely a different light, but still used green. Very nice light!
Very possible, many companies copied the teardrop style light back in the late 70s and through the 80s. McDermott was still selling these as recently as 2015.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I always saw these clones in MARS, SVP and McDermott catalogs but I never saw a real example of the McDermott one. Very interesting.

cdnlight

Feb 16, 2013
Ontario
McDermott - years ago I was selling lighting. I stumbled upon the McDermott brand and contacted them. Being in Canada I tried hard to always sell products from Canada or United States. I recall taking to the owner or GM (memory escapes me) anyway the guy was absolutely wonderful to deal with. He really wanted to sell lights up here. So, he sent me an amber teardrop. It was a good little light. And, it was lighter to ship having minimal metallic parts. I gave the light to a client. Two or three weeks later he called me madder then a wet hen. The lightbulb had burned a hole thru the plastic parabolic reflector and my client was not amused. I tried to tell him (the client) that I was sure it was just a fluke. But no way, he was hell bent on his evaluation that the light was junk. I’d explained the problem to the fellow from McDermott who was very reluctant to accept that one of his lights caught fire. He was very proud of his line, clearly knew his products and hinted at the idea we (I) was simply trying to get free sample lights to sell. We never spoke after that. It was too bad because I really liked the guy. McDermott built some very interesting products - good quality. I came to learn some time later that the client involved had popped out the OEM bulb and stuck a 55w halogen in it. Of course, I was not provided that information until years later. I really loved those little companies like McDermott the pride in workmanship was usually obvious. Even in the packaging.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Yeah that rotator if I remember correctly is plastic, no way it would hold up to a halogen bulb. On the plus side if your customer melted a hole in the reflector, they got true 360 degree warning.. lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.