MDT Mounting Question - Help!

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Hi,

My office is looking to buy every deputy a toughbook for their patrol vehicles in the next two years. The Sheriff has asked me to trial the new mobile CAD software (similar to Spillman Mobile), but all we can scrape together right now is an Motorola MW-800 MDT.

I don't know if anybody has any experience with those, but they were/are pretty popular until the Toughbooks came down within reasonable price range for state/local agencies. It's a three piece CPU setup. Looks like this: [Broken External Image]:http://www.wirelesstx.com/images/products_large/mobilevideo_mw800.jpg

My only problem right now is that I drive a 2009 Chevy Impala. Currently, the console in this thing is... well - I don't know what the heck it is. It doesn't have any name/model on the inside or outside of it. Our "installer" shipped it to us with a ton of holes already drilled into it. The thing looks like swiss cheese. I suspect it is something he pulled out of an old patrol vehicle and put it into mine to save his cost and maximize his profits.

The MDT bottom-plate will not mount up to the top of my console, because as you can see in the attached pictures, the top is angular. The MDT is about 45 pounds, and I refuse to jerry-rig something into my vehicle for my own safety. If I wreck out and this thing gets to flying around in my car, chances are it will do major damage to me.

I've found a possible solution. Gamber-Johnson makes a pedestal mount kit, which you combine with a no-drill vehicle base (secures to passenger seat-bolts). The only downside is that the local EMS supplies shop quoted it out at $906.38 - way out of our budget line.

We're looking for a cheaper solution. Can anybody shed light on my predicament? Any responses, thoughts, or comments are appreciated. Thank you!

TD

IMG_0677.JPG[/attachment:3kgdpd6z]

IMG_0679.JPG[/attachment:3kgdpd6z]

IMG_0680.JPG[/attachment:3kgdpd6z]

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Motorcycle saying: Cheap. Lightweight. Reliable. Pick any two and live with it.

The Havis mounting systems for Toughbooks we installed are $1700 (but we drive offroad so they're very heavy-duty). This stuff is expensive if you want it (and you) to survive a crash and be reliable. But it is tough to swallow.

Can the screen and keyboard be adjusted for tilt? Can they compensate for the shape of the console?

Could you build a filler that flattens the top of the console?

What about removing the front of the console (cut it off) and bold the MW800 directly to the transmission hump?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Damn dude, and I thought my Impala looked bad, haha. Unfortunately, those cars can be hard to deal with due to the tighter spaces and passenger airbag deployment vs. Vic's, etc. Honestly, the only way I can see getting anything to work is to move your rifle lock and bolt a pole to the top of the front of the console and then to a swivel mount for the MDT. It honestly looks like the console is not only pre-used, but mounted further back than designed.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So... Couple things...

To clean things up... Mount the Weapon overhead or in the trunk... Less conspicuous. Just my 0.02...

Havis makes a mount for the MW800 MDT... It says 250 on the website you should be able to get it for less from a distributor here on the board... http://www.havis.com/products/DEVMT_MNT ... 47-61.html

Depending on your budget, might also look into a new console... such as this one... http://www.havis.com/products/CON_VS_10 ... 47-61.html

Again I'm sure you could get it for cheaper... Roughly for 1/2 of what the local EMS supplier was quoting you could have a fully functioning, reliable, safe workspace.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Your console is a Lund 9100 series console. That style hasnt been made for almost 10 yrs. The newer models have a flat base where yours has a 15 degee slope that was for the old Motorola 9100 MDT's(hense the name) The console you have is pretty well used as they dont come with any other than 4 holes in the flat plate from Lund.

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Respondcode3 - THANK YOU!!! For finally putting that mystery to rest. It does not surprise one bit that the installer put in a ten year old console in a brand new car. I guess that's what we get for throwing money at him and expecting him to deliver a quality product.

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Here's another thought. Now that I know my console is a Lund series, I took a closer look at the MDT and its current mounting setup. Currently it is mounted in a Lund MW-800MT system with a flat base (and the 4 holes that Respondcode3 was talking about).

Here it is:

IMG_0686.JPG[/attachment:1rmt7kas]

IMG_0687.JPG[/attachment:1rmt7kas]

Sorry about the sloppy photography - just snapped a couple pics on my way out the door to work.

Do you guys think it would be more cost effective to purchase a new Lund console and then mount the MDT to the new console flat-top? My only concern is space, as one of you so eloquently put it - the Impala is a real turd to try and weasel in all the fancy toys and gadgets we are so lucky to have :)

Thank you all for the help, really.

TD

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
This is the console you need. In place of the CF30 in the picture mount the MW800 in its place. The console would be a straight swap. I would just unscrew the radio and siren unbolt the floor brackets and lift the console up and replace it with the right one. all the top plates and brackets are the same. You may be able to get a single used or refurbed one for pretty reasonable. I have a contact there who may be able to help you out. PM me

[Broken External Image]:http://www.lund-industries.com/images/900CON_white.jpg

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
Do you have a model number and/or a pricetag? Thanks.

Respondcode3 said:
This is the console you need. In place of the CF30 in the picture mount the MW800 in its place. The console would be a straight swap. I would just unscrew the radio and siren unbolt the floor brackets and lift the console up and replace it with the right one. all the top plates and brackets are the same. You may be able to get a single used or refurbed one for pretty reasonable. I have a contact there who may be able to help you out. PM me

[Broken External Image]:http://www.lund-industries.com/images/900CON_white.jpg

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Just my $.02, but I'd prefer to go with a U1 Toughbook or even a CF-19 that you can use as a tablet and a separate keyboard if you haven't bought the MDTs yet. The separate power-supply, hdd, etc is a PITA and just adds more wires to run.

Panasonic U1

It's safer and easier to mount the computer on the dash and have a movable keyboard IMO. Havis makes dash mounts for these I believe.

I've got a CF-18 in tablet mode in a Havis mount on the dash of my explorer with an external keyboard that swivels. Makes it a lot easier to type on without contorting your body to reach the keyboard for doing reports in the field, etc. And if its an option, get touch screens. Soooo much easier just to hit the button on the screen rather than use the touchpad to move the cursor then hitting the mouse button.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
PJD642 said:
Just my $.02, but I'd prefer to go with a U1 Toughbook or even a CF-19 that you can use as a tablet and a separate keyboard if you haven't bought the MDTs yet. The separate power-supply, hdd, etc is a PITA and just adds more wires to run.
Panasonic U1

It's safer and easier to mount the computer on the dash and have a movable keyboard IMO. Havis makes dash mounts for these I believe.

I've got a CF-18 in tablet mode in a Havis mount on the dash of my explorer with an external keyboard that swivels. Makes it a lot easier to type on without contorting your body to reach the keyboard for doing reports in the field, etc. And if its an option, get touch screens. Soooo much easier just to hit the button on the screen rather than use the touchpad to move the cursor then hitting the mouse button.

Ummm, Power for the CPU, power for the monitor, monitor cable from the cpu to the monitor (the keyboard is a USB and plugs into the monitor, plus the antenna cable, GPS cable, Video in, and Wifi. So if you are using a base for the U1 or a CF, you still have the majority of those cables to the base if you are using all of those devices.

The keyboard can be mounted seperately from the monitor if you like (and have bought the mount).

The MW-800 and 810 are both touch screen.

So the

Jotto makes a monitor mount for the MW-800/810 that essentially mounts the monitor above the forward most item in the console (called a Rockover mount)

http://unityusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

Just my .02 worth of suggestions.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.