Measuring amps/watts.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I have a multimeter.

What is the best way to determine the amp draw/wattage of a light bar such as a Federal Vista?

I'm guessing measuring the current as the light is on.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

Reactions: Eric2.0

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Your multimeter is probably only capable of a maximum of 10 amps DC, and is probably fused at 11 amps. You could measure the amp draw of each component individually, if you're careful, and add them up. If you want an exact number for the entire bar at once, look for a clamp style ammeter that's capable of 100 amps DC or better.

Reactions: jmamrak and Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Your multimeter is probably only capable of a maximum of 10 amps DC, and is probably fused at 11 amps. You could measure the amp draw of each component individually, if you're careful, and add them up. If you want an exact number for the entire bar at once, look for a clamp style ammeter that's capable of 100 amps DC or better.
Good information, thanks.

Reactions: Jarred J.
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Keep in mind the amp draw will be different between 12 and 14volts. If you are using a power supply, many are not designed to be run at peak amps for very long. IIRC in general 80% capacity is a good rule.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Keep in mind the amp draw will be different between 12 and 14volts. If you are using a power supply, many are not designed to be run at peak amps for very long. IIRC in general 80% capacity is a good rule.
No power supply. I guess I'm coming off the battery, to my control head and then to the light bar, using a breaker for the main leads. I think that is the way to do it. If there is a better way I'm all ears.
My setup will be a Federal JetStrobe or Vista with some grill flashers and rear tailight strobes in the reverse lights. I'm setting my truck up for pushing race cars at our race track this summer....if we ever get to race due to the pandemic situation

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I use an inductive DC amp clamp. Make sure if you use one that it’s DC compatible. Not all are. Mine is from amazon and converts amps to milivolts. @shues is correct. I use mine for many things including proper fusing, calling bad starters, and many more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.