Mechanical Siren

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
What make and model of Siren would you recommend for mounting under the hood/engine compartment for my "1969" Plymouth Fury project? It will also have a electronic siren. Hoping to keep it somewhat period correct. Suggestions Please

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
plybeep68 said:
What make and model of Siren would you recommend for mounting under the hood/engine compartment for my "1969" Plymouth Fury project? It will also have a electronic siren. Hoping to keep it somewhat period correct. Suggestions Please

Federal Signal model 28 hands down.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If you're going to install a Federal electronic siren, avoid the PA15A series 1E and PA20A series 2E. Both of these models have high-pitched wail and yelp tones and were introduced in the 1970s. They would not be period correct for a 1969 vehicle restoration.

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Wailer said:
If you're going to install a Federal electronic siren, avoid the PA15A series 1E and PA20A series 2E. Both of these models have high-pitched wail and yelp tones and were introduced in the 1970s. They would not be period correct for a 1969 vehicle restoration.

Here is what i have

0105120810.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That Director will be just right for your project, Plybeep68. They have the deep, rich tones Wailer is so fond of :haha: :D :thumbsup:

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
CrownVic97 said:
That Director will be just right for your project, Plybeep68. They have the deep, rich tones Wailer is so fond of :haha: :D :thumbsup:

Great, That is what i was wanting, now all i need is a siren to go along with this peanut whistle!! lol

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
plybeep68 said:
Here is what i have

It's a PA15A series 1D. Series 1D was introduced in 1969, so you're bang on in terms of period correctness.

If you want to get a Federal mechanical siren, look for a standard pitch version with eight ports in the rotor/stator assembly. Avoid the high-pitched versions with sixteen ports - they sound like a dentist's drill.

A model 28 would be okay for mounting under the hood and a model 66G would be good for mounting on the roof. The Federal C series mechanical sirens are even better yet - if you can find one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.