Mega Thin Buzzing

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I have 2 megathins mounted under my tailgate of an f150. The lights are controlled by a carbide and are dual color amber/white. When the lights are flashing amber you can hear a bit of an electronic buzzing with each flash. They are not too loud but noticeable. When the lights are steady burned in amber however you can hear this standing by the drivers door. I will note that in white steady these lights do not create noise at all.
I have another set of megathins in the fog light pocket that are programed for white steady and amber steady along with flashing and these lights do not create this buzzing noise. All 4 lights were NIB and never used before.
Are the under tailgate ones defective? Do they not like steady burn in other colors other then white?
Thank you for your help

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
It sounds like the LED drivers for the amber are very noisy check for any dead LEDs in the lights on the amber a dead led or two can cause an issue with the drivers causing them to make a buzzing or whining noise acting as though they are overloaded

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
It sounds like the LED drivers for the amber are very noisy check for any dead LEDs in the lights on the amber a dead led or two can cause an issue with the drivers causing them to make a buzzing or whining noise acting as though they are overloaded
Nothing is burnt out on them. And its happening on both. Woukd be bad luck to have two brand new ones come with burnt out diodes.
I'm going to try and get a vid of them doing the buzzing when I can next

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
With no dead leds it might be the led driver itself if the inductor in the amber driver is bad or poorly wound the transistor driving its PWM will definitely make the inductor whine or buzz in this case its just a noisy led driver it most likely won't die but its going to be noisy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.