Metropolitan Police, Washington, DC

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
Here are a collection of MPDC vehicles covering several generations of vehicles that are currently in use (and soon to be released).

2003(ish)-2006 Ford Crown Victoria's used FedSig Vista lightbars with strobe upper level. 2003s (and earlier Vistas) had halogen flashers, halogen takedowns, dual strobes in the lower center module and halogen flashers to the rear. Later Vistas generally used Gen 1 LEDs with halogen takedowns and intersection strobes. 2004s had a single flash pattern for the forward-facing LEDs. 2005-2006 had a multi-flash pattern for the forward-facing LEDs.

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_100_1350.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_100_1352.jpg

This is a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. It has a FedSig Vista with second generation strobes (rounded modules) and lower level Gen 1 led flashers. The outer most led flashers on the front and rear are "cruise" or "Position One" lights that officers are supposed to have on at all times while on patrol.

Position One lights then Position Two/Three lights

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_th_MPDCGen1LEDVista.jpg

Some 2003-2004s (this one included) have Gen 1 LED CHMSL flashers from FedSig. Others have individual FedSig Cuda modules on the rear deck. Most have strobe HAWs in the front corners and rear reverse housings. 2005-early 2007s have dual Gen 3 LED FedSig ILS CHMSL lights in a Red-Blue-Brake Light-Red-Blue configuration.

In 2007, MPD switched from the Vista to the Legend lightbar. It is an unusual configuration with two blue modules on the left (red) side. The blue module are used in a lower power, steady burn mode in place of the flashing white Position One lights of the Vista generations.

MPD Legend Configuration:

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_ScreenShot2012_06_08at20908AM.png

Only certain specialized units have Legends with LED alleys/takedowns.

MPD Crown Victoria with Position One lights activated:

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_100_1362.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_100_1365.jpg

2008 Crown Victorias and Impalas have a full deck (10-head) FedSig Solaris ILS rear deck bar in B-R-B-W-B-B-W-B-R-B configuration.

Video of a 2008 Crown Victoria. Shows Position One (cruise lights), Position Two (slower flash pattern), and Position Three (faster flash pattern). These are the standard configurations for MPD Legend flash patterns.

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_th_MPDCLegend.jpg

In 2009, they decided to cut back to just a four head ILS rear deck in a R-W-W-B configuration. MPD stopped buying Ford Crown Victorias in the 2009 model year. In 2010, Impalas were outfitted with the Legend lightbar and a full (10-head) second generation ILS rear bar in the B-R-B-W-B-B-W-B-R-B configuration. The newer model is about half the height as and noticeably brighter than the older bar with more flash patterns.

In 2011, MPD retired the Legend and switched to the Valor lightbar.

This is the configuration for all MPD Valors:

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_ScreenShot2012_06_08at14054AM.png

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_IMAG0393.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_IMAG0391.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_IMAG0392.jpg

Position One lights on the Valors are the two directly forward facing modules and the outermost rear modules in a steady blue. In the videos with Position One lights on, the lights appear to flicker. They do not look this way in person and are a steady burning light.

Position One:

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_P4080009.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_P3200004.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_P3200001.jpg

Here's a video of a 2011 Impala showing the standard configuration for flash patterns. Position Three utilizes the "white flash" capability.

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_th_MPDCValor.jpg

Here's a 2011 Impala with non-standard flash patterns:

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_th_MPDCValor_PatternChange.jpg

Finally, here are a few shots of the 2013 Fords that MPD will be transitioning to. They will still be utilizing the Valor in the above configuration. They will have dual LED spotlights. The vehicles are still being outfitted by the shop and their final lighting configuration isn't finalized.

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_imagejpeg_2_17.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_imagejpeg_2_20.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_561219_3556754028738217804c051515a8946874081eb.jpg

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_385738_3556706c3a6bc737c1ee73a6b48784b5aff9e82.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I lived in DC from 2007 to early 2012, great run down on the vehicles. I especially appreciate the rear deck ILC set up as that flash pattern is so busy I could never figure out what their set up was. Love the new valor's, will be interested to see how the new explorers do. Thanks for the photos and the run down.

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
They're finally about to roll out the new Interceptor Utilities. Latest rumor is that they're all non-transports.

ai1157.photobucket.com_albums_p597_DaCityPolice_th_MPDCPoliceInterceptorUtility.jpg

Valor on the roof and dual LED unity spots.

Factory flashers to the front.

Seems like they cheaped out with the rear flashers. They're using old Vista Gen 1 LED flashers for the reverse light LED flashers. The brake light flashers are also flashing the CHMSL. I pointed it out to the installer who shrugged and said "yeah, it isn't supposed to do that but whatever." Oh, and no sync.

Also, it doesn't matter if the rear hatch is open or closed, all the rear lights flash all the time. The blue license plate lights flash pointed at the sky and the interior rear hatch light flashes when closed.

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
DaCityPolice said:
Also, it doesn't matter if the rear hatch is open or closed, all the rear lights flash all the time. The blue license plate lights flash pointed at the sky and the interior rear hatch light flashes when closed.
Do you think if you were a police officer assigned to drive that vehicle for your shift that it would really matter? Most large metropolitan PDs don't have assigned permanent cars for their personnel. Depending on the assignment and shift, an officer may use a different vehicle each day of his work week.

All I care about is that they light up when I hit the switch "on" and turn off when I hit the "off" switch. As long as traffic sees the lights (regardless of their flashing pattern) and gets out of my way so I can get to my calls safely, that's all I really care about.

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
pc0k894 said:
Do you think if you were a police officer assigned to drive that vehicle for your shift that it would really matter? Most large metropolitan PDs don't have assigned permanent cars for their personnel. Depending on the assignment and shift, an officer may use a different vehicle each day of his work week.

All I care about is that they light up when I hit the switch "on" and turn off when I hit the "off" switch. As long as traffic sees the lights (regardless of their flashing pattern) and gets out of my way so I can get to my calls safely, that's all I really care about.

Of course not. Most officers couldn't care less. I thought many people on this forum might at least be interested in it. And your second part is absolutely right. Makes for an annoying day when the car you get doesn't have functioning emergency equipment. Honking your horn, flashing your highbeams and wildly swerving through traffic to get to a priority assignment always feels ridiculous.

r1ms12

May 21, 2010
NCR
Do you know where these new vehicles will be assigned? Are all going to patrol, or are any of them going to specialized units. Are they non-transports? Check your PMs.

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
r1ms12 said:
Do you know where these new vehicles will be assigned? Are all going to patrol, or are any of them going to specialized units. Are they non-transports? Check your PMs.

Yes, they're all non-transports except one "test vehicle". The shop didn't like the space the cages left for officers so they decided not to make them transports. They just didn't want to take the cage out of the test vehicle and decided to just send that one out anyway. They're planning on pulling non-transport Crown Vics from anyone who still has one and putting old cages in them.

fireman616wfd said:
noone throwing a fit about white to the rear?? come on guys dont let me down! :razz:

I kinda figured someone would say something about it. MPD's been doing it for years. I'm also surprised no one has anything to say about the CHMSL flashing. And no sync...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.