Miami Grow House Shooting

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
I saw this the other day on liveleak, it was real scary.

What I don't get is how no one saw him run into the car, especially since this was a "raid". They should of had eyes on that house from all 4 angles. Well that and no one made sure the cars were clear prior to advancing to the next "zone". I am in no way condemning the officers, as I'm sure that was some scary crap they went through in the blink of an eye. Especially since this was a grow house and in my experience, pot growers don't tend to be too aggressive, unless their southern based. However, this just goes to show we need to not get complacent in anything we do and that goes the same with tunnel vision.

Always watch your 6 brothers!

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
This is the same department that did not tell Grapevine Police in Texas that they had a dangerous fugitive in their city needing to wait several hours before transport him by car instead of airplane. They had landed at DFW and decided not to continue on the connecting flight after him being trouble on the plane to Las Vegas. Instead of notifying Grapevine Police to hold the subject in their jail they decided it was safer to just keep him in a car at the local Walmart waiting for another detective to arrive at the airport. Well he managed to get out of his cuffs and stab the Miami-Dade detective and escape from custody. After a week long search they found him in a wooded area and he was shot an killed by local law enforcement. People were in fear of this guy, afraid to go out worried that he would hurt one. I know I was extra careful as I work in the area he was later found and killed.

This all could have been avoided if Miami-Dade police would have just simply put the guy in a local jail until they were ready to go on the road. Yeah maybe he would have still done the same in some other city, but he was only watched by one person at times and was in a rental car that has no secure cage. So I can see how they missed not seeing the guy get into the car or make sure it was clear before passing the car. You would think they would have see the guy getting into the car as they all drove and walked up just after he got in the car. Well guess not and another bad eye for that department.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Amazing video, thanks for posting that. That is a classic case of tunnel vision by the involved officers. Thank God for officer #3 reacting to the shooter getting out of the car, or else the shooter would have had the tactical advantage and probably killed the 3 officers. All things considered, it was a good day for the cops involved. Getting shot 3 times with a .45 must suck, but at least officer #1 is alive to talk about it. Officer #1 did a good job of immediately putting rounds at the shooter while officers 2 and 3 obtained cover. Officers 2 and 3 reacted well and immediately got behind cover. I couldn't see which of those officers eventually put rounds on target and took the shooter down, but great job by whomever it was. Officer #1 did a great job getting to cover after he had been shot. Those couple rounds fired into the ground are debatable from a tactical perspective. I would argue that the rounds were fired safely (into the ground) and appeared to do a good job of suppressing the shooter from returning fire, therefore they were great shots.

I am not criticizing the officers, but providing suggestions based upon this incident. I wasn't there and probably would have crapped my pants prior to getting killed if I was there. That being said;

Officer #1 is the "contact officer" and he did the right thing by approaching the first subject that came into his line of sight and attempting to control him.

Officer #2 is the "cover officer" and responsible for securing the scene and watching for additional threats.

Officer #3 is the "arrest officer" whose job it is to help take the first suspect into custody.

Officer 2 and 3 were interchangable in this situation. One of the two should have helped with the arrest while the other secured the scene. A breakdown occurred, but honestly things happened so fast their really wasn't much time to scan the entire area and deal with the shooter anyways.

Obviously none of the officers saw the guy in the car. I can tell you that with window tint, shade and sun reflections it can be hard to see inside vehicles. I would hope that some type of surveillance was being done on the house as they were preparing to hit it. I would like an officer to be down the street with a clear view of the target. This surveillance officer could have easily relayed information that a subject just entered the car. I would like to see more than 3 officers to hit a house with a search warrant. This incident went bad because of lack of preparation moreso than improper tactics once on scene.

Just to make things even more frightening, imagine if this was a "routine" police call and a single officer approached the house.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.