Michiana ELS - 2011 GMC Yukon Denali's

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
2011 GMC Yukon Denali's - two of which are "XL" editions. The trucks belong to a local SAR group that has full police commissions in nine separate Indiana counties - they also work in conjunction with the American Red Cross (responded to Hurricane Katrina, etc.). All three trucks have the same exact set up. Lighting selection was per customer specifications. The front strobes were not activated in one of the videos.

Siren:

Tomar 940L Siren Amp + PA + Digital Control Panel

Tomar SPK100 100w Speaker

Interior Lightbar:

Feniex Pegasus = red & blue with takedowns

Front:

(2) Tomar Undercover NEOBE HAW Strobes = white

(2) Tomar PAR-36 LED's = red & blue

(2) Tomar Rect-14LS on "L" Brackets = red/blue split

Sides:

(2) Tomar Rect-14LS on Low Profile "L" Brackets = red/blue split

Rear:

(2) Tomar Rect-14LS on "L" Brackets = red/blue split

(2) Tomar Undercover NEOBE HAW Strobes = white

(1) Tomar Rect-13 L-Stick Warning/Directional bar = amber

Interior Set Up:

[Broken External Image]:http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/FreshDave04/176d1cab.jpg

770dabc1.jpg

62b300e7.jpg

915d8b53.jpg

5c16b063.jpg

3823d798.jpg

c43f12cd.jpg

d8d7d1cd.jpg

7e323496.jpg

e0d2aa4f.jpg

25f90b3d.jpg

Video:

6c27d326.mp4 video by FreshDave04 - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
look great! minus the split patterns...

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
sbparkcop said:
I'm in agreement... but, what the customer wants, the customer gets.

Understandably so....I just wish some people would listen to our "professional" opinions on some things lol

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
I know the "better" option is for LED hideaways...but there is something about strobes that I really like. That's a great minimal warning package and another excellent install sir.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Flashguy said:
I know the "better" option is for LED hideaways...but there is something about strobes that I really like. That's a great minimal warning package and another excellent install sir.

LAW's just aren't as effective as HAW strobes, yet... They just aren't. I have yet to see any LAW product that would dispute that.

I appreciate your kind words!

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Rusted413 said:
Love to see those Tomar products in there, especially the NEOBE strobes. Nice start, looking forward to seeing the finished product

We're awaiting the front interior bars, but now the customer has also ordered a 6 head R-13 L-Stick (in amber) for the rear of all the trucks. They will be center mounted, in the top rear glass, between the two R/B R-14's. Again, stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I recall seeing some pre-production info sheets of the new tomar interior bar, any chance they will be going with a full tomar package? Would be cool to see the new bar, although I can't seem to understand why they would use the TIR heads instead of their linear products. Either way looking forward to the final product.

Bikinjohn

Jul 22, 2010
USA Nevada
You know even though it's split pattern, I like that it's synced so only 1 color is flashing at a time. I also like the slower pattern, I think it's more effective than the hyper falsh stuff.

Now answer this, why does a SAR group need a Denali? I picture them doing more offroading than pimping? I would think a Tahoe Z71 would make more sense than a Denali? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one! It just seems like a waste of many thousands of dollars. Are these people's POV's or are tehy gov't vehicles?

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Bikinjohn said:
You know even though it's split pattern, I like that it's synced so only 1 color is flashing at a time. I also like the slower pattern, I think it's more effective than the hyper falsh stuff.

Now answer this, why does a SAR group need a Denali? I picture them doing more offroading than pimping? I would think a Tahoe Z71 would make more sense than a Denali? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one! It just seems like a waste of many thousands of dollars. Are these people's POV's or are tehy gov't vehicles?

The customers requested the split heads, though I suggested solids. We compromised by syncing them with a slower, much more effective flash pattern. They absolutely love it.

These are POV's for a private SAR group. The individual's owning them are corporate folks who volunteer their time, and give back to the community, by providing this speciality service. Being a volunteer firefighter isn't really a viable option, considering their status in the community and time constraints. I will say, in dealing with them one on one for a while now, they are well grounded and humble people! I didn't go into this project without some questions - but they are legitimate. They have proper state and federal certifications, endorsements by local police/sheriff/fire departments including mutual agreements, etc.

The group also owns/operates a fleet of H1 and H2 Hummer's that they deploy to the field (like when they were asked by the American Red Cross to deploy to Hurricane Katina). I'll let the cat out of the bag and state that we'll be working on those in the VERY near future! :thumbsup:

I'll be updating the thread this evening with some photos and a quick video of the entire and completed build (with interior bar and TA stick). The video isn't the best, as I used my phone just before delivery.

Nine29

Oct 27, 2010
Motown
[lurk mode off/] Nice work. What did you do about the holes on top of the console where you had the controller originally mounted? I have a 2011 Denali and am interested in your set up...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Nine29 said:
[lurk mode off/] Nice work. What did you do about the holes on top of the console where you had the controller originally mounted? I have a 2011 Denali and am interested in your set up...

They were separate vehicles... 2 of them had it mounted on the top and the other one had it mounted on the side...

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
NotNormalEnterprisesLLC said:
Looks Good!! :thumbsup:

Thank you, sir!

Nine29 said:

The pictures shown show 2 different types of installations. There are a total of three trucks; 2 had the DCP's installed on a bracket on the center console, 1 had the DCP installed on the side of the console. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

TritonBoulder47 said:
They were separate vehicles... 2 of them had it mounted on the top and the other one had it mounted on the side...

Thank you for the assist, good sir!

Nine29

Oct 27, 2010
Motown
sbparkcop said:
The pictures shown show 2 different types of installations. There are a total of three trucks; 2 had the DCP's installed on a bracket on the center console, 1 had the DCP installed on the side of the console. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Missed that fact! Nice job on all the installs.

Thanks for the offer...

Bikinjohn

Jul 22, 2010
USA Nevada
sbparkcop said:
The customers requested the split heads, though I suggested solids. We compromised by syncing them with a slower, much more effective flash pattern. They absolutely love it.

These are POV's for a private SAR group. The individual's owning them are corporate folks who volunteer their time, and give back to the community, by providing this speciality service. Being a volunteer firefighter isn't really a viable option, considering their status in the community and time constraints. I will say, in dealing with them one on one for a while now, they are well grounded and humble people! I didn't go into this project without some questions - but they are legitimate. They have proper state and federal certifications, endorsements by local police/sheriff/fire departments including mutual agreements, etc.

The group also owns/operates a fleet of H1 and H2 Hummer's that they deploy to the field (like when they were asked by the American Red Cross to deploy to Hurricane Katina). I'll let the cat out of the bag and state that we'll be working on those in the VERY near future! :thumbsup:

I'll be updating the thread this evening with some photos and a quick video of the entire and completed build (with interior bar and TA stick). The video isn't the best, as I used my phone just before delivery.

Oh to be wealthy like that. I'd live in a town with a WELL equipped VFD, PD and drive a Denali as my SAR/VFF/Reserve PO POV too!

As far as the iPhone holder there, for the money they spent why not splurge on a Panavise bracket with a Smoothtalker cradle (charges, audio output and passive external antenna connection)?

[Broken External Image]:https://www.smoothtalker.com/resources/images/products/BTHAL4IA.jpg

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Bikinjohn said:
Oh to be wealthy like that. I'd live in a town with a WELL equipped VFD, PD and drive a Denali as my SAR/VFF/Reserve PO POV too!

As far as the iPhone holder there, for the money they spent why not splurge on a Panavise bracket with a Smoothtalker cradle (charges, audio output and passive external antenna connection)?

[Broken External Image]:https://www.smoothtalker.com/resources/images/products/BTHAL4IA.jpg

They're very public safety oriented. The town in which they have their headquarters, they just donated to the PD the funds to purchase a brand new K-9 (including a fund for the dog's veterinary care, food, kennel construction at the handler's home, etc). I can't explain how cool these folks are... and they don't do it as a "pay for play" type thing - they honestly care about their local first responders. They find a new FD and PD project every year to fund.

As for the iPhone mount, that was customer installed. Can't really explain that one, lol.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Added new installation photos and a new video after the completion of the third and final 2011 GMC Yukon Denali (XL). This particular truck is going to be quipped with a Tomar 200S-6 warning & directional lightstick. The stick is on order, so that's why it's not shown in the video... because of it, the two Rect-14's in the rear hatch area have been spread wider apart than in the previous trucks and are slightly angled, due to the curvature of the rear of the truck. I'll update once the stick is installed. :thumbsup:Enjoy!

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Thread updated and more photos added of installation placements, as well as video (PhotoBucket link) of rear lighting, per a couple of ELB member's request.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
i like the install good work the only thing i would do is the rear strobe tubes eaither get them with the black housing or spray them black to blend a little more when there off.

also a question how come many people dont like the split colors for the grill lights. i kinda like them . just curious what the diff would be if it was solid color. if its split doesnt that mean always one side has a light on so its more visible

but anyway nice clean install

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
carguy411 said:
i like the install good work the only thing i would do is the rear strobe tubes eaither get them with the black housing or spray them black to blend a little more when there off.
also a question how come many people dont like the split colors for the grill lights. i kinda like them . just curious what the diff would be if it was solid color. if its split doesnt that mean always one side has a light on so its more visible

but anyway nice clean install

Thanks!

The rear strobe housings have since been painted black. They blend very well with the rest of the taillight. As for the split heads... it's a pretty big no-no around these parts. First, if you have them at a faster flash pattern, the colors appear to blend (red/blue for example will create a "purple" effect). Also, you're only flashing 2 LEDs instead of 4 LEDs, in this instance. The more you can flash at once, the larger footprint you can make. 4 > 2, thus, making yourself more visible and identifiable. If it's side lighting, I don't mind it that much, since your vehicle is being seen at different times as it progresses (like through an intersection). But, with front and rear applications, it's best to not split a light head. Just my .02 cents!

Thanks again for the kind words!

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
MichianaELS said:
Thanks!

The rear strobe housings have since been painted black. They blend very well with the rest of the taillight. As for the split heads... it's a pretty big no-no around these parts. First, if you have them at a faster flash pattern, the colors appear to blend (red/blue for example will create a "purple" effect). Also, you're only flashing 2 LEDs instead of 4 LEDs, in this instance. The more you can flash at once, the larger footprint you can make. 4 > 2, thus, making yourself more visible and identifiable. If it's side lighting, I don't mind it that much, since your vehicle is being seen at different times as it progresses (like through an intersection). But, with front and rear applications, it's best to not split a light head. Just my .02 cents!

Thanks again for the kind words!

ahh amkes sense i guess. lol thanks for the explination

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
carguy411 said:
ahh amkes sense i guess. lol thanks for the explination

Not a problem!

tom said:
I like the placement of the controller on the side of the middle console. I may have to do something like this since room is so limited in my vehicle. Was it tough to secure in this position/placement?

Wasn't difficult at all. Two simple screws with a bracket did the trick!

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
MichianaELS said:
LAW's just aren't as effective as HAW strobes, yet... They just aren't. I have yet to see any LAW product that would dispute that.

Yup. And I looooooooove LEDs.

Nice install. Very clean and well laid out it looks like. I'm not sure why they'd want the grille LEDs behind the grille instead of in front of it (where you can see them), but, okay? :weird:

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
factorone33 said:
Yup. And I looooooooove LEDs.

Nice install. Very clean and well laid out it looks like. I'm not sure why they'd want the grille LEDs behind the grille instead of in front of it (where you can see them), but, okay? :weird:

Thanks for the kind words!

They wanted the grille lights behind the grille because they wanted as stealth of an install/look as possible. Nothing is overly visible unless you're actually looking for something out of place. As stated previously, the strobe housings in the rear have since been painted black, so they blend in incredibly well with the rest of the taillight assembly. The tint is so dark, you can't see the rear or side lighting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.