Michigan Fire Trucks: Red/Blue Lights

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Many municipalities in Michigan have "public safety agencies." Especially in several of Detroit's more affluent northern suburbs (Huntington Woods, Oak Park, Berkley, Farmington, Bloomfield Hills, Canton Township, Fraser, Grosse Pointe city, Grosse Pointe Woods). This means their police and fire operations are a singular team. Public safety officers are cross-trained in law enforcement, firefighting and rescue. They have higher salaries. But these agencies are afforded with far greater staff flexibility and responsiveness. While under the public safety agency arrangement there are obviously still two separate vehicle fleets for different functions (patrol cars versus firefighting/rescue vehicles). But both fleets are technically police and fire vehicles. Hence the presence of red/blue flashers on Berkley's fire trucks. No idea if there are any other fire vehicle lights like this in Michigan.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution - "Law enforcement vehicles shall only have blue lights, fire/rescue vehicles shall only have red lights.....because everything else is stupid"

;)

The first fire department I worked for had split red/blue on some of their fire apparatus, no one could explain why it had been changed other than someone in FMO liked the red/blue. After that one series of vehicle purchases, everything went back to all red.

Here in NM its become a free for all with city/state owned utility & maintenance vehicles having more red/blue lights and often better lighting than many emergency vehicles. It's pretty absurd actually.

Reactions: MtnMan

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution - "Law enforcement vehicles shall only have blue lights, fire/rescue vehicles shall only have red lights.....because everything else is stupid"

;)

The first fire department I worked for had split red/blue on some of their fire apparatus, no one could explain why it had been changed other than someone in FMO liked the red/blue. After that one series of vehicle purchases, everything went back to all red.

Here in NM its become a free for all with city/state owned utility & maintenance vehicles having more red/blue lights and often better lighting than many emergency vehicles. It's pretty absurd actually.
Yea. And cops aren't allowed to run Q2s or Rotorays.....

badbrad

Jan 29, 2011
canada, saskatchewan
In canada police have red- blue, snow plows blue - yellow, tow trucks blue - yellow - 4way flashers in Lightbar red, ambulances red - white,
Funeral hurse purple, everyone is confused no one pulls over or slows down. Slow Down - Move over laws in place, makes no difference.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've noticed the red/blue trend starting here as well. Our vollie depts have always been r, r/w, r/b, mostly because that's what came on the used trucks they bought. Now the big paid dept has r/w bars up front, red beacons out back (no more amber) and the body lights are a mix of r/b. They even retro fitted the older rigs' body lights. I thought maybe nfpa changed something but I can't find anything on it. And they are just fd. Our airport is dual fd/ps and runs all red on fire, r/b on pd, I think that's FAA rules though.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Supposedly they have to have red and blue if they bought the truck with a federal grant, at least that's what I've been hearing down here in s fla cause the trucks are showing up with that combination

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA

It really is crazy. You never know if it is an emergency vehicle, or just someone shoveling up a dead critter from the side of the road. At least it seems there is red to the front only on real emergency vehicles.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Supposedly they have to have red and blue if they bought the truck with a federal grant, at least that's what I've been hearing down here in s fla cause the trucks are showing up with that combination

Where in Florida? I know that Broward County Fire Rescue has some blue lights getting mixed in with red. But they are administered by the Broward Sheriff.

RCMoeur

Apr 26, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Another sign of the Apocalypse? :)

I've live in Arizona all my life, but started regularly driving across the US about 20+ years ago. In AZ, emergency services run red/blue all directions + white & amber. But it was initially surprising to see all-blue in some areas, as it didn't match my preconceptions.

Reactions: LRGJr72

MRFD715

Apr 23, 2013
Iowa
It's really interesting as to how vastly different every state is for emergency vehicle lighting. I will admit that I'm not very old but I can only ever remember red and blue on fire apparatus here in Iowa. In the past couple of years my FD has updated a couple trucks and the replacemets came from states that only use red and white for FD so now we're the odd ones out around here with no blue on a couple pieces. Heck it wasn't that many years ago that they changed the law so that Law Enforcement could run blue, they used to be red only.

Dec 17, 2018
TX, USA
I haven't seen any fire or emt vehicles around here running with blues. I've seen them on tv, youtube, etc., and they always look funny to me. Even police at any level only running one color (or just red/white, blue/white) seem odd to me. Maybe it's a Southern California thing.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I wonder if it's a "big city" thing? STLFD runs r/b on their rigs. Saw E31 and STLFD ambulance 33 running a call today and were r/b all over.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.