Jun 18, 2013
PA
I wonder if the driver will get his deposit back... lol

• Haha
Reactions: thatoneiowan

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I hate the beacons personally. I don't feel they're very effective either. Sure, they're bright, you've got a 6" tall tower of LEDs, but it's all focused in one area, you get no idea of how the car is positioned.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
You've just been mister positive lately Luke...
@LineSpotter I too like them, but I like the hoodfins more! Love the nostalgia.
I'm all about tradition. Love me some maroon and gold. However, there comes a point where it's ridiculous and is placing tradition over officer safety.

Why not just carry a revolver and a billy club? The question seems stupid, but they are applying the same logic to the emergency lighting that gets their officers from point A to B safely.

Reactions: tsquale

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I'm all about tradition. Love me some maroon and gold. However, there comes a point where it's ridiculous and is placing tradition over officer safety.

Why not just carry a revolver and a billy club? The question seems stupid, but they are applying the same logic to the emergency lighting that gets their officers from point A to B safely.
They are plenty adequate especially with deck lights, license plate bracket lights, and head and tail light flashers.

emtpals

Apr 8, 2013
IL/WI
Don't forget that most of the units also have Push Bumper and Mirror lights as well. The MSP does a great job with their multilevel lighting and usually has everything synced together on a very distinctive flash pattern.

Working in several other states, and moving over to Michigan, I initially thought the same thing... just guys keeping with old outdated traditions.. As some time went by, and actually seeing the lights in person, parked next to other squads with full light bars it was amazing how far away you could see and distinguish the MSP trooper, before you even realized there was another squad with him. In essence, great lighting, effective from all angles, and it also works great in snowstorms!

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I am a big fan of these, simple and effective . I wish they could rotate tho.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
I hate the beacons personally. I don't feel they're very effective either. Sure, they're bright, you've got a 6" tall tower of LEDs, but it's all focused in one area, you get no idea of how the car is positioned.

Its hard enough to get the stupids just to SEE an emergency vehicle and yield...
Yet you expect them to actually notice its orientation??? o_O

They also cost the tax payers of MI $900 a pop for junk
How are they "junk"?
IME they are at least as effective... if not more effective than typical lightbars

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
They takedown override? Alley override? Steady red with brakes? Integrate traffic controllers? Cut out sides with doors open? Have multiple functions for including steady? Have the option to only use 1 or 2 modules?

They're extremely primitive for a $900 21t century light.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
They takedown override? Alley override? Steady red with brakes? Integrate traffic controllers? Cut out sides with doors open? Have multiple functions for including steady? Have the option to only use 1 or 2 modules?

They're extremely primitive for a $900 21t century light.
All stuff that is rarely used by the vast majority of EV operators (if even optioned by departments).
And what is the acquisition and instal price of a typical top shelf bar with all of those options?

See the MSP beacon side by side with a typical bar and the beacon stands out two-fold.
Especially when the bar is flashing away in one of those idiotic disco patterns.
;)

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Most of those things are done automatically, and my Officers do utilize the TA, TD, and alley lights regularly. In fact, the only option that I rarely ever see them use is the rear cut. Probably smart considering the liability in it if they use it then stop on the interstate. The only price difference is buying a dual color bar as opposed to a single. It still installs the same, and the programming would have to be done regardless. And my upfitter now has a base map, don't be programming takes all of 20 min. The bar itself costs more, sure, but I could easily get away with it being the only warning light on the car.

In fact, I nearly do. Most of my cars use interior bars which also get perimeter lights, but the overhead cars get a HLF, a small dual color light in the headlight housing for corners, and a small LED in the reverse lamp housing. When all is said and done, the two cars cost within $200 of each other. Most of my Officers choose the slicktops, but I have some that prefer the brighter and more traditional overhead.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Most of those things are done automatically, and my Officers do utilize the TA, TD, and alley lights regularly. In fact, the only option that I rarely ever see them use is the rear cut. Probably smart considering the liability in it if they use it then stop on the interstate. The only price difference is buying a dual color bar as opposed to a single. It still installs the same, and the programming would have to be done regardless. And my upfitter now has a base map, don't be programming takes all of 20 min. The bar itself costs more, sure, but I could easily get away with it being the only warning light on the car.

In fact, I nearly do. Most of my cars use interior bars which also get perimeter lights, but the overhead cars get a HLF, a small dual color light in the headlight housing for corners, and a small LED in the reverse lamp housing. When all is said and done, the two cars cost within $200 of each other. Most of my Officers choose the slicktops, but I have some that prefer the brighter and more traditional overhead.

All that typing yet you failed to answer my simple question... Oops :p

As for users, your tiny fraction of a percent is just that.
In my own experience over the decades has shown my statement to be true.
Across many municipality, state, agency, etc
Heck many of the locals where I live now don't even option such things

But as dmathieu post shows, those functions are available if desired :)

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Our bars run right at $2000 (SoundOff nForce), and I can't quote the bar install price since that is built into the upfit of the car. But the bar isn't much harder to install than a beacon, it could very well be easier in fact.

To supplement the beacon, they have to add 10 additional perimiter lights (Push bumper, mirrors, side windows, rear deck, rear plate). At $200 a piece, I'm $900 cheaper. I spend about $600 for the perimiter lights on my overhead cars (Front corners, reverse housings). So my car would be roughly $300 cheaper. And it's significantly more effective and has more options.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.