Michigan State police have rights to whelen/unity LED Beacon?

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
This dealer states MSP owns exclusive rights to their new LED beacon and have required all dealers obtain authorization prior to sale. Arrowhead911.com under lightbars and beacons, sorry unable to paste site for some reason. Does anybody now if this is true? Also checked on Unitys web and they don't sell the beacons anymore just parts. Not sure why on that either, any input would be interesting. Thanks.

Main reason I see is its state agency and don't want any impersonaters out there. But still just curious, no other state agency don't say they cannot use their bars or lights. Just saying. :)

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
The MSP LED beacons are assembled by C.S. Trojan and Associates in Brighton, MI. To my knowledge, you CAN get one... Patrick over at Priority 1 in Canton has one of the LED Beacons, and when I jokingly asked him if I could buy one, he said he could get me one (to the tune of around $1100!!!)

bamh5

Aug 3, 2013
Michigan
i have numerous emails from different dealers, yes msp has rights, and whelen require an official letter head from a police agency to buy one. i do not believe they are for sale for civilians.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
bamh5 said:
i have numerous emails from different dealers, yes msp has rights, and whelen require an official letter head from a police agency to buy one. i do not believe they are for sale for civilians.

So, at the risk of splitting hairs, Trojan wouldn't be able to sell the MSP beacon to a fire or EMS agency?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I want to see the new whelen simulated rotator used in these.

bamh5

Aug 3, 2013
Michigan
Doug said:
So, at the risk of splitting hairs, Trojan wouldn't be able to sell the MSP beacon to a fire or EMS agency?
no, i have been told in emails law enforcement only. And they are to be used for department use. I could actually get one right now with my supervisors approval, but 1k is too much to spend.

bamh5

Aug 3, 2013
Michigan
here is one email i received from a dealer

Sorry, but WHELEN requires a letter on Governmental letterhead and signed by your Chief or Purchasing Agent that authorizes the purchase of the kits.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Thanks for all the responses. Any word out there about Unity not producing the beacons anymore? Check the website looks like you could make one out of parts yet but that's it.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
jatchinson said:
Something like this?

No, that's the stacked linear lights. John is referring to the new whelen rotabeam LED light.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
JohnMarcson said:
I want to see the new whelen simulated rotator used in these.

I would love to see them do an actual LED rotator. Maybe something like a giant version of the ECCO rotating LED beacon or the FedSig SLR module. Something big enough to occupy most of the space inside those RV26 bodies. THAT would be cool.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
LRGJr72 said:
I would love to see them do an actual LED rotator. Maybe something like a giant version of the ECCO rotating LED beacon or the FedSig SLR module. Something big enough to occupy most of the space inside those RV26 bodies. THAT would be cool.

Especially with a spitfire dome and clear LEDs at the right points to replicate the spitfire effect.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I want to see an up-scaled version of the rotabeam simulated rotator with a row of white spitfire LEDs. I can dream.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
JohnMarcson said:
I want to see an up-scaled version of the rotabeam simulated rotator with a row of white spitfire LEDs. I can dream.

On that note, and I'm s sure it's been discussed here before, but have they made an led roto-ray?

Search function is not always your friend on tapatalk.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
SeattleSAR said:
On that note, and I'm s sure it's been discussed here before, but have they made an led roto-ray?
Pretty common on fire apparatus in northern Virginia. It's so bright and so fast that it's basically a glowing red ring with a flicker of white. Slow it down to about 100 RPM and it'd be a lot better IMO.

Reactions: Phillyrube

RES347CUE

Nov 7, 2010
NASSAU COUNTY N.Y.
Interesting

I am fully aware of the single red light tradition but I think it looks plain silly on the newer style cars or anything after the 78-83 Chevy Malibu's

Just my opinion

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Time to drag up an old thread...

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on an install manual and/or feature sheet for this beacon?

Cause... uhm. . I promise to provide photos when I'm done.

:)

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
I have installed this beacon with my own LEDs, real simple install to do. Remove dome, mark 3 holes, drill then mount using included hardware and then reattach the dome. Wiring on mine was a simple power wire cause a set my flash pattern before I mounted it and beacon grounds thru the base to the roof. On Whelen's version I'm sure they would have a pattern wire to hook up and play with. FYI my beacon came with a single one sided install page and toggle switch. Good luck and post pics!

Reactions: unlisted

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Some agency’s in GA have a blue unity shell with LEDs. I have seen them for sale on GovSurplus. They are neat but not that much light on the side of a highway. The Mars 888 lights with LEDs do not pop like the old halogen or incadesant bulbs IMO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.