Microphone Clip

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
I am having a HUGE brain-fart right now. Google isn't helping at all (maybe I'm not helping Google).

Does anyone know of the microphone clips that have the wiring exiting from it (not for grounding). I've seen a few Chiefs vehicles with them and basically they are wired up so when the mobile radio mic is in the clip you can hear audio from a separate scanner in the truck. When the mic is lifted out of the clip, it cuts the audio from the scanner preventing feedback.

If anyone can give me a link, name, picture... or ANYTHING, you will be nominated for the "Carl Bourke Person of the Year Award"!!!

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
Respondcode3 said:
The old silver box with the green and black wire? Those are PL hangup boxes from the Micor/syntor era. I actuall have a few NOS ones here

That sounds right. Do you have any pictures?

bcbsmx1.JPG

bcbsmx2.JPG

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
They can actually be used to enable/disable audio from anything. We have them in our squads to turn of the AMFM.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That's the best idea I've seen in years. How did I not know that these existed? Does anybody have about 20 of these for sale?

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
If only they made one that would turn down the officer's portable radio to prevent that awful back feed into the dispatcher's earpiece!

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Pimp said:
If only they made one that would turn down the officer's portable radio to prevent that awful back feed into the dispatcher's earpiece!

Lol...i guess it happens more often than you like?

Can you wire/solder this on your own from a basic mic hang up clip? I have no need for it but it would be a cool project to try out.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Back in days before interoperability and scanning radios, we had a crystal scanner mounted in our medics. We used a mike clip like that to kill the scanner speaker when transmitting in case our own channel was left on on the scanner.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Pimp said:

+1

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Pimp said:
The only thing worse is the emergency banner going off in your earpiece. My FD has new people tour dispatch and part of that is having them put on a headset & hear a banner go off.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Pimp said:
How about when the officer knows the feedback is happening, and instead of stopping his transmission for a second or reaching down to turn off the portable, he simply yells in an attempt to outdo the feedback?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
PJD642 said:
How about when the officer knows the feedback is happening, and instead of stopping his transmission for a second or reaching down to turn off the portable, he simply yells in an attempt to outdo the feedback?

I love it when the same officer files a complaint against a dispatcher. First thing we always did was play the tape of the incident for the police supervisor who then promptly withdrew the complaint. Some officers can not remember that all channels and telephones are taped all the time. :roll:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
shues said:
What is a "banner"?

Emergency Alarm button on a radio. If you're on a Motorola Elite series console radio, The alarm switches your receiver to full volume with a very annoying alarm while showing the ID of the radio that was triggered. Worse that feed back in the headset IMHO..

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Those switch hangers were also used on 1960's vintage RCA radios, if I am not mistaken Super Carphones. The radio was completely transistorized except for the final amp that used "instant heat filaments" tubes. Guess it was a power saving feature.Took mic off holder and tubes would come alive.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.