Microtel Hotel Fire

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Shortly before 5pm on May 25, we got toned mutual aid to Jackson Township, for a hotel fire, for an engine and ladder. I made the ladder, and command ordered us to set up on the A/B corner of the building, and set up our ladder pipe.

Heres a video of us on scene, setting up. At this point, we had been on scene for 3-4 minutes. You can watch the fire break through the roof. Thats me on the turntable, getting a truck belt on to go up on the ladder. Sadly though, i didnt get to go up on the ladder for the ladder pipe ops. Our crew got re-assigned to go to side C, and knock down some fire with a 2.5.

Some pictures...

LOOK: Fire Rips Through Microtel Hotel on Sunset Strip - North Canton, OH Patch

They actually have a video of this fire starting. They saw a man drop a cigarette in the mulch bed, and the fire ran up the side of the building, and got into the roof.

We operated on scene for about 5 hours, before returning.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
NCFD43 said:
They actually have a video of this fire starting. They saw a man drop a cigarette in the mulch bed, and the fire ran up the side of the building, and got into the roof.

We operated on scene for about 5 hours, before returning.

I hope that man has been identified and will be charged. I see people drop or toss lit cigarettes all the time. It's probably the biggest reason we see brush fires in the median strips around here.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
OhioMicrotel.PNG

I'm not trying to criticize, but is that the closest that tower could get? Are there obstructions in the way, precluding it from getting closer? It looks like it's kinda far away, and that the stream is starting to break up before it hits the roof.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
NCFD43 said:
Shortly before 5pm on May 25, we got toned mutual aid to Jackson Township, for a hotel fire, for an engine and ladder. I made the ladder, and command ordered us to set up on the A/B corner of the building, and set up our ladder pipe.

Heres a video of us on scene, setting up. At this point, we had been on scene for 3-4 minutes. You can watch the fire break through the roof. Thats me on the turntable, getting a truck belt on to go up on the ladder. Sadly though, i didnt get to go up on the ladder for the ladder pipe ops. Our crew got re-assigned to go to side C, and knock down some fire with a 2.5.

Just a few questions: How many people were on your truck? Did the Ladder pipe still go inservice when you were re-directed? Is it pre-piped? I am no where close to where you live, I am just curious.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Doug said:
View attachment 32679

I'm not trying to criticize, but is that the closest that tower could get? Are there obstructions in the way, precluding it from getting closer? It looks like it's kinda far away, and that the stream is starting to break up before it hits the roof.

The tower was placed there to cut off any fire spread, had it gotten a better hold.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
ff168577 said:
Just a few questions: How many people were on your truck? Did the Ladder pipe still go inservice when you were re-directed? Is it pre-piped? I am no where close to where you live, I am just curious.

We had 4 guys on the ladder, and 3 on the engine. Our driver stayed with the truck manning the ladder pipe from the turntable. Our team of 3 went back to the c side. It is pre-piped.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
BackYardSales said:
drop a cigarette in the mulch bed, and the fire ran up the side of the building,

Vinyl siding?
It's obvious if you look where it ran up the side of the building it's melted or enlarge the picture and you can see it. :duh:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Wow!!

I stayed at that very Microtel back in September 2011 for my wife's friend's wedding.

Typical inconsiderate smoker! When will those morons STOP using mulch beds for ashtrays? A few years ago, a similar inconsiderate smoker put a cigarette in the mulch and burned down the Burger King. It was a total loss. Luckily, they rebuilt it. Meantime, it put those employees out of work for about a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
Wow!!

I stayed at that very Microtel back in September 2011 for my wife's friend's wedding.

Typical inconsiderate smoker! When will those morons STOP using mulch beds for ashtrays? A few years ago, a similar inconsiderate smoker put a cigarette in the mulch and burned down the Burger King. It was a total loss. Luckily, they rebuilt it. Meantime, it put those employees out of work for about a year.

We were talking after the fire, about how many mulch fires we go out on, and think nothing of them. Then you have that one time when the mulch gets into the building, and it puts into perspective just how much damage a small mulch fire can do if it gets going.

As a whole, sometimes I feel that firefighters kind of brush off small mulch fires, or food on the stove fires as commonplace, routine, or BS calls, but its these kind of events that can lead to a major fire.

I can only imagine what the passerby's on route 77 thought, when they saw fire running up the side of the building as they drove by. According to the dispatch center, they recieved 3 calls from 77 within several minutes of each other, reporting that the building was on fire. I flipped my radio over to this departments frequency as i was going to the station, and heard them get on scene with a working fire in a hotel. I kind of shuddered at the thought that there could me multiple rescues to be made, and possibly fatalities. Im just glad that this happened in the early afternoon rather than at 2 in the morning. These people were very lucky.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Smokers should be fined as littering, littering and...littering and....., but I digress, thats another thread... Yeah, smokers should be fined for littering. IN Ca we have a law about throwing a lit cigarette out of a window. We say all the time doing that in Ca is asking for trouble, with our wildfire history. In reality the conditions must be exactly perfect for a cigarette to start a wild land fire. But if we see someone throw one out of a moving vehicle, we get the license number and tell our Prevention Dept about it, and they usually get a citation in the mail.

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
That's all well and true, but there are other issues in play here also, like non-fire retardant siding on a multi-occupant building. Sure brick, block or metal would cost more initially, but this would likely not have happened with any of them.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
BackYardSales said:
That's all well and true, but there are other issues in play here also, like non-fire retardant siding on a multi-occupant building. Sure brick, block or metal would cost more initially, but this would likely not have happened with any of them.

Christ now you're an code inspecter. Is there nothing you haven't done?

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I like the Chiefs White Gear. I've never seen white pants,Jacket and helmet all together before.

The red hear on the FF are also really neat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoMoreGreen

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.