Mini XL's Have Arrived! Project Begins.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
s-l1600.jpg
I recently purchased these two Mini XL's online, and they're on their way to me. My first concern is getting them without having the domes cracked or damaged. That said, I was wondering if anybody out there had these with that Opticom device in them. Can I just rip that thing out? I'm not wild about it, and it really doesn't perform any function. I have some XL diamond mirrors, and ideally, I'd like to put them in the center. Does anybody know if the mini XL frame will allow me to shoehorn some diamond mirrors in there?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reactions: OliverD
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Diamond mirrors should not present a problem. I had diamond mirrors in one of mine and replaced it with a stinger.

Optimized-20160425_173816.jpg

Last edited:

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Well, I wasn't going to rip it out forcibly, I was just wondering if it was hard to remove.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
The XL's have arrived, and the cleaning has begun.

I haven't messed with the one with the Opticom emitter in it. I started with the one with the two rotators in it. I took the 1500/2500 sandpaper to the dome and I've taken the powerball to one side of it.

After work today, I'll open up the lightbar and start cleaning up the inside. It has a cylindrical filter around one of the rotators and nothing around the other one. I'm going to remove the cylindrical filter and replace it with one of the two NOS red filters I have. Thanks to one of the members on the page, I have a couple of NOS blue filters on the way. I have found some of my diamond mirrors among my spare part box and I'll install that as well.

The goal is to make this one red/blue and the other one amber/blue. Below are some before and after pictures on the first round of lens polishing.

Reactions: jph2 and H20

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
View attachment 208566
I recently purchased these two Mini XL's online, and they're on their way to me. My first concern is getting them without having the domes cracked or damaged. That said, I was wondering if anybody out there had these with that Opticom device in them. Can I just rip that thing out? I'm not wild about it, and it really doesn't perform any function. I have some XL diamond mirrors, and ideally, I'd like to put them in the center. Does anybody know if the mini XL frame will allow me to shoehorn some diamond mirrors in there?

Thanks for your help in advance.
What are you doing with the opticom strobe head?

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
No worries. I wasn't going to use it, and there's no point to put it in a box collecting dust. If someone wanted it, and I was in the position to give it to that someone, I have no problems with that at all.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas

So, here's one of the XLs cleaned up. Apparently, these are XLs on the outside and LP6000s on the inside, that's why the XL filters didn't fit. I have dug up some LP6000 filters and I have some more on the way, since I took these out of my full size LP. As I had said, this one is going to be red/blue, and the other one will be blue/amber.

I also added the V mirror to increase the flash output.

Reactions: OliverD and Tony P

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Yeah, Code 3 did that with the XL series for a while there. Don't know if it was a special order option or if they had run short in production of the full-size XL rotator assemblies and had to supplement the LP rotator assemblies so they could get XL bars out the door when they needed to. Who knows?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.