For Sale MINT NYPD Aerodynic, Pasadena,CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I dunno.... it either looks too long, or it's just missing the outer flashers and had everything moved "one out" from center without "fixing" it..... but I am a little rusty on this..... or it was meant for a van or one of the ESU trucks.

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
it looks like the id tag shows it to be a model 24RVF, which would indicate that type of internal setup would be correct.

here's an earlier thread regarding a 24RVF:

also found a youtube video of a 24RVF-Z:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie
Jun 18, 2013
PA
/\ /\  What he said..

I have one of these but not setup in the NYPD color Schema..    They did use 4 Panel lights as well as 3.5

My bar in its past life was used on an ambulance.. in PA.

Rob

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I kind of figured as much, but I knew it was way too long to have been on any patrol car ... that's why I automatically thought ESU..... or some other larger vehicle within the PD.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I kind of figured as much, but I knew it was way too long to have been on any patrol car ... that's why I automatically thought ESU..... or some other larger vehicle within the PD.

Well the 4 panel aerodynics are 52" bars...   not too long for cars in that era.

the 3.5 panel aero's were 48" bars.

The NYPD DID use both lengths of bars...

not sure I agree with Eric about this being common either.     But this could still very well be an NYPD bar.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Well the 4 panel aerodynics are 52" bars...   not too long for cars in that era.

not sure I agree with Eric about this being common either.     But this could still very well be an NYPD bar.
Check out a 1989 color catalog and you will see the 24RMVF in Federal's standard offering. List price back them was $620.00 What did make a bar special was the -2Z stamping in the nameplate and the power cable on the opposite side as normal.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana

I never said the NYPD didn't use that particular bar.... I said it most likely wasn't on a patrol CAR. The cars in use when the Aeros were in service were the Caprices, Maybe some older Vic's, and lots of Furys. They may have had to slap some 52's on cars as a last resort, but those things were so bulky that even the 48's were pushing the outer limits on width.... Houston PD had theirs cut even further to 3 panel and 3.25 panel to fit on the late 80's Caprices.

And NYPD used so many different trucks, buses, and other vehicles for special assignments they could (and did) put any length of bar on them.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Galls sold these for a while after they were no longer used by the NYPD. It needs the -2Z designation and passenger side cable exit to be authentic NYPD. They used the 4 panel on earlier larger cars and then on vans and F series ESU trucks later on. The ESU and some of the later vans also shared the bars FDNY used on their battalion Suburbans and large Ford SUV's...

Reactions: AJ3814
Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
Galls sold these for a while after they were no longer used by the NYPD. It needs the -2Z designation and passenger side cable exit to be authentic NYPD. They used the 4 panel on earlier larger cars and then on vans and F series ESU trucks later on. The ESU and some of the later vans also shared the bars FDNY used on their battalion Suburbans and large Ford SUV's...
I remember they were $100 on the back page of the Gall's catalog. I finally got the money saved and they were sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.