Original poster
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Last edited by a moderator:

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
firemedic10584 said:
Go to the link I just posted. Video is called " Firefighters respond to blaze at hidden creek mobile home park" it wasn't on youtube

Hmmmmm, the link works but maybe it's not showing up because of my ipad

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Video title on vimeo is "Firefighters respond to blaze at Hidden Creek Mobile Home Park"... vimeo is YouTube's biggest competitor for whoever asked earlier...

this download link MAY work on an iPad: http://vimeo.com/6930420/download?t=1381089455&v=17491162& not sure...

I'm not a FF but someone needs to give that guy a refresher on breaching with the halligan... if he can't open a TRAILER door with it, how on earth would he open a solid core door?

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
minig0d said:
Video title on vimeo is "Firefighters respond to blaze at Hidden Creek Mobile Home Park"... vimeo is YouTube's biggest competitor for whoever asked earlier...

this download link MAY work on an iPad: http://vimeo.com/6930420/download?t=1381089455&v=17491162& not sure...

I'm not a FF but someone needs to give that guy a refresher on breaching with the halligan... if he can't open a TRAILER door with it, how on earth would he open a solid core door?

I believe he is the same one with helmet on backwards.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
minig0d said:

That's why they make the 'marriage set'. Haligan and axe are a mean pair. Definitely some more training all around needed there.

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
minig0d said:

Yes it worked on the ipad... That 1st guy shouldn't have been worried about damaging the door, he was trying to knock the lock off. Shoulda just slammed it in there and pushed. Like someone else said, the axe and haligan are awesome tools.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
strobecrazy said:
I believe he is the same one with helmet on backwards.

haha maybe he needs a "different" kind of helmet...

I obviously didn't have my hand on that particular door, but most trailer doors I've encountered are like single layer of corrugated sheet metal and you can most likely breach them just by tugging on them too hard... the halligan coulda been put straight through the door and yanked open rather than trying to pop the lock... and I'm obviously not a FF but I'd imagine that the heat from the fire would make the door even more flexible and easier to pop open *shrug* (I'm sure one of you FF guys can chime in on that... The video caption mentioned the town name FD not VFD, but I really hope it was a VFD with them that inexperienced...

What I don't get is why one of the geniuses behind him didn't grab it out of his hands and do it for him... "hey you've been prying this door for 45 seconds now, the whole trailer will be burned to the ground before you get it open... hand it over..." and why weren't they dumping water on the roof already? *shrug*

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
TX_Mark said:
Yes it worked on the ipad... That 1st guy shouldn't have been worried about damaging the door, he was trying to knock the lock off. Shoulda just slammed it in there and pushed. Like someone else said, the axe and haligan are awesome tools.

lol he's worried about a $100 dollar door while $100/second worth of damage is being caused by the flames...

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
minig0d said:
lol he's worried about a $100 dollar door while $100/second worth of damage is being caused by the flames...

Exactly, although I did see some OK things.. He had the PPV (fan) out, was semi-close to the structure.. But he didn't start it yet.. I was tought next to the door running, so it could be moved into position. And I did like that they weren't running, all it takes is one trip and now you have an EMS call and a structure fire.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Holy Wow Batman.... :duh:

To sum it up...."you're doing it wrong!"

firemedic10584

Original poster
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I really liked the random guy who came up half way thru and busted out the side window and once he introduced the oxygen into the room, well....you saw what happened :nono: this is why we don't freelance!

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
I seriously was waiting on the whole thing to flash when they popped the door? Then the window was popped and the PPV put in place. There is time and a place to ventilate and knowing what kind of ventilation you need and when is key. The house was a lose either way, being a 80's model double wide a small kitchen fire would have totaled it. That being said, they could have seriously injured someone with their stupidity. Risk a little save a little, Risk alot save alot.... "This boys and girls is why we have unified command.":hopeless: :hopeless: :hopeless: :eek:

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
mdlighting said:
The only good thing I saw in that video was the extensive use of Powerarc warning lights. Lol

And they had nice equipment. Other than that I won't armchair chief this cause I know I have had fires that went to shit and if they wound up on the internet they would be picked apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have not been a FF since 1997 and did that for 5 years up until that date. My department was a paid on call and part time staffed that trained all the time and we never had anything like that happen at a fire. On a side note I was a freelance videographer from 1990 to 1997 working for one of the local TV stations and saw allot of fires in the rural areas where it was all volunteers. I have never seen anything like this during that time and especially not a helmet on backwards. That is just sad to see an unorganized fire fight like that. Destroy the door opening it, use a target saw or something, but you do not spend minutes trying to carefully open it. It is like when I was a tow truck driver, if the front was smashed up I would sling or chain the car. It is already damaged and likely totaled.

I did notice the EMT was trying to make it better and even put the officers helmet on him. MY questions is where there two FF with their helmets on backwards? I swear I saw that same EMT flip someones around, but later I still saw one on backwards.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
firemedic10584 said:
I really liked the random guy who came up half way thru and busted out the side window and once he introduced the oxygen into the room, well....you saw what happened :nono: this is why we don't freelance!

I think that was the Chief. Or at least the guy the EMT put the white hat on, who was shooting water into the foundation for about 5 seconds.

FFParker said:
"This boys and girls is why we have unified command."

The unified command in this case should have been the EMT, and the deputy sheriff (who, by parking his vehicle out of the way, did more things right than that entire FD (minus the EMT) did

P1808

Jun 2, 2010
Florida
firemedic10584 said:

what is the formula for fire? Fuel Heat and oh yea oxygen lets bust out this window and really get things cooking.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
This incident does, indeed, look like something from the Keystone Kops. It happened in 2009 and resurfaced last October, including in a blog post on firehouse.com. In response, the Chief involved emailed with the other side of the story to explain his department's actions, admit their mistakes (including the backwards helmet), and state they've addressed the issues in training. He also says loss was confined pretty much to the room of origin.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nosajj