Mobile Radio Antennas

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
Where do you folks get your Mobile Radio antennas?

I was going to order from the antenna farm but I have read some bad things online.

In case you were wondering, I need the following:

(1) VHF Glass Mount Antenna

(3) NMO Magnet Mounts w/ Coax (no connector needed)

(4) VHF NMO Quarter-wave Antennas

The total from antenna farm was $118.60 before shipping.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
cpdchief,

I like tessco, too.

We do some of our governmental purchases from Tessco with departmental accounts. Do they also allow private purchases? Or are you making private purchases but running them through a govt. or non-profit account.

I have also had good luck in getting some used components from our local Motorola and Kenwood radio shops, particularly on NMO mounts and trunk mounts. I might pay $12 for a Whip, but they would give me coax and the fittings. If they clean up nice, no biggy!

cpdchief

May 22, 2010
Madison County, AL
tnems7 said:
cpdchief,
I like tessco, too.

We do some of our governmental purchases from Tessco with departmental accounts. Do they also allow private purchases?

I have a personal account with them. Never had a problem. They do have a minimum order. I think it was like $50 or something like that. I'm always above that when I order.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
tnems7 said:
cpdchief,
I like tessco, too.

We do some of our governmental purchases from Tessco with departmental accounts. Do they also allow private purchases? Or are you making private purchases but running them through a govt. or non-profit account.

They have a category for 'self-serviced end-users' or something like that. :)

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
cpdchief and ryanm,

Thanks for the info about Tessco.

Since I only change radio installs on my personal car every four ot five years, it has been a long time since I needed anything. Our state agencies order from Tessco when the amount of purchase is less than $2,000 and the items are not on a State purchase contract.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Also just try your local radio shop and/or ham radio store.

I am sure you have heard before... don't bother with onglass antenna's, mag mounts are better, drilling NMO is the best.

I have had excellent results with antennas from Comtelco, PCTel and lowband Larsens.

You haven't specified your applications and bands for the antenna's.

Tessco carries most of the major makes and models.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.