Mobile Scanner Antennas

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
I am looking for a quality low profile scanner antenna to replace my Auston Spectra. Its a great antenna and is the clearist antenna I've owned. The biggest problem I've had with it for the 6 months I've had it mounted on my truck is I don't care for the look of it.

What's recomended and what's out there that's better looking and smaller.I don't want something that screams look at me.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
What frequency ranges are you scanning(VHF low or high, uhf, 800, or a mix of all)? It will make a difference if your scanning low band stuff with a smaller antenna.

Chris

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Lt.214 said:
What frequency ranges are you scanning(VHF low or high, uhf, 800, or a mix of all)? It will make a difference if your scanning low band stuff with a smaller antenna.

Chris

+1

I scan mostly 800mhz and use an Antenex 800mhz phantom on my truck. I can still pick up 400 and 150mhz signals with no problem as long as I am within a reasonable distance of the repeater.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
To be honest I got no clue. Scanners,radios and the like are out of my knowledge

I give my scanner to our radio guy and tell him who I want to hear and he programs it for you.

I know we run on 33.92 on our old radios the new ones are in the 400's

And a lot of the fire and ems I from 150's up so I think that's low band and high band.

Waterbury is 800mhz johnson but that's a pain to moniter cause you hear every idiot with a radio.

I know nothings digital except our pd but its encripted anyway so that's a waste anyway. Plus my fire radio scans them if I want to hear them.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Ok, the 33.92 is low band vhf. Smaller antennas can be "deaf" to this stuff at times depending how close you are to the transmitting antenna/ repeater .

If your mainly listening to vhf high(150's) and uhf(400's) a smaller antenna will serve the need.

If you aren't using the 33.92 anymore and have no need for it in the scanner, your antenna options are pretty much wide open.

I prefer MAXRAD or Larsen antennas myself. Remember with radio stuff, the taller the antenna, the better the performance.

Did you have something like this in mind?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NAGOYA-UT-102-BNC-Car-Magnetic-Radio-antenna-VHF-UHF-/350289979547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518ee8e89b

This was just a quick search find, I don't have this antenna, just seeing if this is the style your looking for.

I have used antennas like this one in the past and they do a good job. I have seperate antennas for VHF and UHF in my truck going to 2 seperate radios, but I transmit on those and it's what I prefer. Black powder coated antennas tend to "hide" themselves alittle better than chrome ones.

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.