Mock-up of Whelen R316 and L31 cross bar style lights

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Out of curiousity, I threw a pair of R316 Rota-Beams and a pair of L31s on a crossbar I had. Not sure what I think, though figured I'd share. I say a bit more in the YouTube video descriptions and also include a link to a video showing several Saginaw County (MI) cars with their Arch beacon setups.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Both look good. The 316s look better imo. The rotate patterns are much smoother than the 31s. But the 31s punch better. I've never seen the full range of flash patterns on the 316. Impressive, especially the sweep and adjusting rotor rate patterns.

Reactions: firebuff17

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Both look good. The 316s look better imo. The rotate patterns are much smoother than the 31s. But the 31s punch better. I've never seen the full range of flash patterns on the 316. Impressive, especially the sweep and adjusting rotor rate patterns.

Yeah the L31 rotation patterns aren't worth much and I suspect were an afterthought, whereas the Rota-Beams were obviously designed to be simulated rotators. The RBs look great and have an undeniable cool factor, but I don't think that translates into more effectiveness. If it did - and I wish it did - I think we'd see more in service.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.