Model 710 Flasher Steady Burn

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Hi all,
I’ve been working on an MX7000 for a while now and it’s pretty much complete except for one feature. I successfully wired the mode 1 flash pattern to one of the switches on my FS SW300 but was unsuccessful in wiring the steady burn feature on the unit. I attached pictures of my wiring below, whenever I flip the switch to activate steady burn, it blows the fuse on the SW300. If anyone can assist me in figuring out what the issue is I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Attachments

• 34D8CA84-1E92-46CC-B50A-72CC1A4A37C4.jpeg
    34D8CA84-1E92-46CC-B50A-72CC1A4A37C4.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 25

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Too many Amps... How many lights are you trying to steady burn

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Are you using 50 watt or 35 watt bulbs ?
At 50 watts, each bulb is pulling over 4 amps. That's close to the 20 amp
fuse limit on the SW300.
Like Jarred said, watch the amps.
Also, I don't think those Code 3 flasher units did well with more than 2 light heads.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
is that the only item on the switch? could be grounding issue

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Are you using 50 watt or 35 watt bulbs ?
At 50 watts, each bulb is pulling over 4 amps. That's close to the 20 amp
fuse limit on the SW300.
Like Jarred said, watch the amps.
Also, I don't think those Code 3 flasher units did well with more than 2 light heads.
I’m using 4 35 watt bulbs and this issue persists even when I don’t have them hooked up to the flasher

is that the only item on the switch? could be grounding issue
The mode 1 flash pattern has a dedicated switch and the steady burn has a dedicated switch

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
8084426757_d97da742a6_c.jpg[IMG]

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
My bad I put a wire in terminal F instead of E. The manual online is a little vague as it shows E in the diagram but says F in writing. I’ll try it now. Also, it mentions having +12V to terminal A but this isn’t really possible because terminal A with B jumped to it activates the flash pattern.

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Update: i wired up terminal G to see if the issue is in the wiring and as it should, it flashes mode 2 when mode 1 is going. Tried the same thing with steady burn and pause but to no avail, with the flasher continuing to flash and blowing another fuse. Any ideas?

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Alright I figured out the issue. There was a jumper connecting terminals E-H which was causing the short because of H being the ground and the other 3 being positive. I also got the steady burn to work however, a new problem was created. Now, when I activate mode 1, it will double wig-wag twice and instead of continuing with the pattern, it will steady burn and stop flashing. Ideas?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Now that you point it out, I see the jumper in the photo.

If the pattern stops, it's probably time to replace the flasher. These flashers really aren't serviceable unless you have a way to dissolve the potting.

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Now that you point it out, I see the jumper in the photo.

If the pattern stops, it's probably time to replace the flasher. These flashers really aren't serviceable unless you have a way to dissolve the potting.

Took the multimeter to the wires and found that approximately 2VDC goes through all wires hooked up to the SW300 whoever a switch is flipped, this may be triggering the steady burn on the flasher. Gonna probably have to get a resistor to two to eliminate it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.