MONSTER SQUAD

shibby1952

May 8, 2013
Iowa
Spotted this beast at a rest stop on I80 the other day.  Of course having OD green CARC paint I figured it must be military.  Having served in a Seabee unit, I went over to check it out.  But the Russian truck driver insisted it was headed to a police department.  Now I thought I read that Obama was taking away a lot of the military gear from police departments because of these so called "alleged" abuses.  Wonder how this bad boy slipped past the bureaucrats?  It was COOOOOOL!  I see a hint of Ford parts in it's construction.  And I like the built in LED lighting.  But the most important question is...  What does a guy have to do to get a ride in one these?  It has to beat the pants off those old deuce and a halfs that I used to drive.  I bet you don't even have to wear ear plugs when you drive it...

0905150956a.jpg

0905150956.jpg

0905150955.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Lenco Bearcat I believe is the name of that vehicle.

It is purpose built for Law Enforcement not military use.

You are correct. Based on the Ford F-Series trucks they are built for LE and not part of the military surplus so the POTUS hasn't limited them...yet.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah.. no where near military rated.  Looks tough but not nearly enough for military spec.  Our agency has gone through two of them.  (one was sent back because it was horrible). It's not ideal for alot of situations but it helps. We had one take over 50 rounds with a full crew inside.  

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
When the Federal Government won't loan your dept a free MRAP that they have sitting around, this is what your dept has to go out and spend $800k+ on instead.  Isn't fear-mongering wonderful.

Reactions: 336

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Spotted this beast at a rest stop on I80 the other day.  Of course having OD green CARC paint I figured it must be military.  Having served in a Seabee unit, I went over to check it out.  But the Russian truck driver insisted it was headed to a police department.  Now I thought I read that Obama was taking away a lot of the military gear from police departments because of these so called "alleged" abuses.  Wonder how this bad boy slipped past the bureaucrats?  It was COOOOOOL!  I see a hint of Ford parts in it's construction.  And I like the built in LED lighting.  But the most important question is...  What does a guy have to do to get a ride in one these?  It has to beat the pants off those old deuce and a halfs that I used to drive.  I bet you don't even have to wear ear plugs when you drive it...

View attachment 144528

View attachment 144529

View attachment 144530

My city has an identical Lenco that they just purchased earlier this year (prior to that, they served all warrants and tactical deployments out of freightliner sprinters :-/).

They have several variations that avg about a quarter million dollars.  They're based on a F-550 chassis & are not ridiculously loud.  Because of the Whelen Lin6 lighting package on it & the tires used, I'm guessing this is a LEO build, not military use.  I was taught to use 2 hands opening/closing the door b/c they're friggin' heavy.

Reactions: tsquale

shibby1952

May 8, 2013
Iowa
The loud thing was just a reference to the deuce and a halfs I used to drive for the SeaBees.  They had a straight pipe on them right next to the cab and you really did have to wear hearing protection while driving one- especially if the cab was removed.  I'm sure this thing probably doesn't make much noise at all considering all the emissions steps the exhaust has to go through before hitting the atmosphere.  Probably rides like a Caddy.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Might be heading to a California Sheriff's Department. Outside of California you don't usually see Amber/Blue to the rear. Of course I really don't have any clue.

Reactions: Storm4200

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
Might be heading to a California Sheriff's Department. Outside of California you don't usually see Amber/Blue to the rear. Of course I really don't have any clue.
Based on that alone I figured the same thing. Ours arrived with Red Drivers Side front and back and Blue Passengers Side front and back.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Where I live the city PD has a truck that looks something like that.  They call it a rescue unit.

Mar 23, 2015
Valley View, PA
My office in Massachusetts is actually across the street from the Lenco plant. I see them doing shakedown drives of these things all the time. I just watched a delivery of 5 Ford F-550 chassis-cabs be delivered and a single chassis-cab being sent out. It's funny, I never really thought about it until I saw the OPs pics. Occasionally I'll see a few of them parked at the hotel I stay in. It's hilarious when you stroll into the parking lot and see 3 of these things sitting parked in the traffic circle. Everyone checking in has this look of "oh sh**, now what?" on their faces - meanwhile the 3 drivers are in the bar upstairs, they're just here to drive them home in the morning.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I have been in that model and it's a nice ride. But it has very thin armor.  it's just plate steel "Ballistic spec". I think it's only rated up to maybe a .50 cal.

I'm not swat or anything but my county sheriff s office has one and I'm a deputy constable and got to ride it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.