Montgomery County Texas Dodge Charger...what is it?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
VolEms said:
It looks like its doing a nice job blocking the lightbar.
...and it would be ugly as hell even if it wasn't. I much prefer them to be hidden somewhere - on the dashboard, mounted on a push bumper, inside the grille... hell, even a cutout in the middle of the bumper...

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Looks like ANPR hardware to me: Automated Number Plate Recognition system.

They come in different shape and form, this notbeing the most subtle one.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
More discreet in the UK, where they run ANPR Interceptor Teams.4814614689_c17b22e9df_b.jpg[/attachment:1q2363iz]4814614689_c17b22e9df_b.jpg[/attachment:1q2363iz]

4814614689_c17b22e9df_b.jpg

2332087548_8a033a237f_b.jpg

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Seems like everyone up here has them mounted on the rear trunk. They are out of the way, so they are less likely to get smacked by stuff, and are not as obvious.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
file.php

JIZZ!!!!

Where are the cameras for it though?

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
I think they are behind the mirror and on the deck.

But it does say "ANPR Interception Team" on the back of the car.

cory y

May 21, 2010
I love the battenburg. A normal use (non slick top) police patrol car shouldn't be stealthy. You want people to know you're around to obtain voluntary compliance by mere presence

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I think the tech flip-flopped the brackets - they were most likely supposed to be behind the bar and angled out.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
The plate readers are popping up all over my area and are being purchased with homeland security grants. I've only seen the cameras mounted on the trunk lid. Blocking the lightbar seems crazy. I saw some dirtybutt get pulled over and arrested in my area the other day. I talked to the officer later, and she said his warrant popped up as she was driving by and the reader signaled her. Pretty cool. He had a felony warrant for a gun violation, and she wouldn't have known otherwise. The ACLU types are screaming, I'm sure, but I love it. If you have nothing to hide, who cares?

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Stendec said:
I think the tech flip-flopped the brackets - they were most likely supposed to be behind the bar and angled out.
I'm just back from Spain, where I've seen ANPR cams mounted INSIDE the bar... Really cool.

Sorry no pics, Madrid cops were not in a happy mood.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
crescentstar69 said:
The ACLU types are screaming, I'm sure, but I love it. If you have nothing to hide, who cares?

The standard response is that vehicles don't have the same privacy expectations as persons or structures, and that the purpose of license plates is to be visible and legible in public. You hear the same specious crap about red-light cameras, speed cameras, and CCTV cameras in public spaces.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
It should be the concern of every citizen, that government might be storing information, like where you were and when you were there. Yes, plates are in public view and are public record. There is no legal issue with running plates for no reason (probable cause, reasonable susp, etc). The legal issue, is what useful purpose is there in saving the plate information that was ran? You may not agree with everything the ACLU does, but without them, we wouldn't have the freedoms we exercise everyday, and on this board.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
A rather less ugly way to do it (if you ignore the TOMAR lightbar)

P1000891[1].jpg

P1000892[1].jpg

P1000893[1].jpg

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
There are obviously different companies making these units but how is there such a disparity in the sizes of the cameras!? The CVPI above has small ones but the Charger's are huge, not to mention in a really stupid spot.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
DEPUTYSTEPHENSON said:
The main bitch, grip, and moan here by the ACLU is that the information collected saves to a database for a short amount of time (2-3 days).

That's funny, when you consider that the information is already on file, essentially permanently.

If i was an administrator in a Big City, I'd try to figure out some way to get ALPRs loaned to malls, schools, colleges and hospitals for mounting on their cars, so they could be trolling for hits while running around parking lots. They'd need to be dumbed down versions that wouldn't disclose sensitive information like registrations, but just signal a hit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.