More International 4300 questions.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
New question, got the vehicle described below. I have it in the shop to be outfitted with lights now. What I need to know is, is there anyone that knows which wire I can hook to to be able to automatically shut off my clear lights when on scene(per NFPA)? This truck has the feature when you apply the parking brake the low beams(only) turn off and turn on when unengaged. I know how I can hook a relay up to this, if I could get to this wire/relay/fuse, just don't have any spot to hook to. I have checked the fuse panel and the distribution panel(under hood) and did not find anything about DRL or anything.

I even checked the connector to see if it was another wire ran to the headlight, and it isn't. Just activates the low beams when brake is unengaged.

This is a 2005 International 4300 DT466

(original post below)

We are looking at buying a 2005 International 4300 series chassis. We will be removing the tank from our current tanker and putting on this chassis. Then moving the tank from another truck and put on that chassis(moving tanks around to match the chassis they should be on, and not over loading it.)

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures of installs in these. Just wanting to put a basic system on it, not sure what I will be doing, not sure on budget yet.

Has anyone had problems out of these trucks/engines/chassis'?

This is just a basic single cab with a straight frame. Has a roll up delivery box(similar to a coke truck, was used to haul batteries).

The picture below is not of the actual truck, but is the same chassis and box.

I have a couple of Whelen 500,700 and 900 series lights sitting around, I know Whelen makes mounts for this truck. I see on the list price they are between $250-366.00. Is there any cheaper alternatives to these or am I stuck?

What type of head light flasher do these require?

What size lightbar do these require,seems that a 52" would even be a little small for these.

As far as NFPA rules, what rules do I need to follow as far as lighting this up? Do I go by the date of the truck or the date it is put into service? I know the 2010 rules says to put the chevron stripes in the red/neon yellow on the rear.(Or whatever colors that are required,only seen 4 trucks locally with the new stripes).

[Broken External Image]:http://carcoauto.com/userfiles/image/2225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 22, 2010
Central WV
This should help give you an idea of what you need.

http://tomar.com/products/vehsys/nfpa.htm

We have an international Tanker. It's an S&S (now Pierce owned, I think) elliptical tanker. It has grill strobe lights, intersection strobe lights on the font sides, rotator lightbar, strobe lights next to the rear tire, and strobe beacons on the top rear. I'll try to get some pictures posted of it. Doing something similar should pretty much get you covered.

You said you have some extra lights sitting around...here's what I would do with them:

Front:

Lightbar Take you pick of what you want...LED, halogen, or strobe. (just keep in mind I think that you are supposed to do all the same brand in the upper zone and the same brand in all lower zones, but both zones don't have to be the same brand. Same goes with the siren and the speaker...they must be the same brand.)

Grill lights 700 series

Side:

Intersection lights 500 series

Mid-ship lights 500 or 700 series

Rear upper lights 700 or 900 series

Rear:

Upper lights 900 series

lower lights 700 series

...also think you have to have an amber somewhere in the mix. If you have a TA that is activated automatically in warning mode when the warning equipment comes on, I think this works instead of having to have a dedicated amber warning light in the rear.

I'm sure there is someone here that knows more than I do about NFPA packages and hopefully the will chime in. All of what I said is just what I have been told or read.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I would do some consulting with a commercial tank builder / supplier, most of them will be willing to spend a little time to help you guys out . Just make sure that your existing tank isnt going to over load the new truck, often times the older tenders were severely over weight.

linemanjas

May 26, 2010
Layton, Utah
My truck is an 04 International 4300 bucket truck. I can say from experience that if you're gonna buy a Whelen lightbar you'll have to get a 60". I bought a 48" Liberty and the International strap kit only to find out that it won't work with a regular sized bar, the straps are too short. I'm working on having our mechanic modify the straps because we can't drill the cab.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
When I run a wrecker, I drive a 2004 International 4300 DT466. Good trucks. Rides rougher than a buckwagon but ours has the LP tires and suspension (no air brakes, under 26000 pounds). Yours will ride better with the bigger wheel/brake setup.

We've had some electrical quirks with ours but nothing serious (stereo worked intermittently, lightbar issues, upfitter issues).

In all they are very good, heavy-duty trucks. Very powerful and reliable.

FYI, this is a rollback wrecker. We had a 60" MX7000 mounted to the headache rack. It crapped the bed so we installed a new six-strobe 48" Edge on it. Pretty small for the truck, but serves our purposes well.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
linemanjas said:
My truck is an 04 International 4300 bucket truck. I can say from experience that if you're gonna buy a Whelen lightbar you'll have to get a 60". I bought a 48" Liberty and the International strap kit only to find out that it won't work with a regular sized bar, the straps are too short. I'm working on having our mechanic modify the straps because we can't drill the cab.

That's what I figured. I have an Excalibur lightbar that I believe is a 58-60 inch bar that I may put on this. The truck it was meant for, we're getting rid of.

The tank that we're putting on the 4300 is a 2,500 gallon tank, and it is way too much for the F-700 truck that it's on. The rear end got beefed up, but not the front. We have a smaller 2,000 gallon aluminum tank to put on the F-700.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
What engine is in it? We have an 2007 International 4400 series and the bottom end of the engine has already been rebuilt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.