Motorcade video

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
There were a few things about this video that made me post it. First, there seem to be a ton more motorcycles than normal; second, the SUV at 0:20 and the car after it are perfect examples of sync vs non-sync; and third, I thought it was funny that the 'president ambulance' (I guess FDNY One when he's in it) is unit 001.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OVyrlySH-a4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
Most of that (Like the infinate cycles, along with one ESU Truck and one FDNY vehicle) looks to be for show. Also, you can definately tell what vehicles are based in NY and what ones are Gov. cars from USSS (Red/White vs. Red/Blue).

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
That SUV at 0:20 is the one with all the grill lights people were discussing in the pics of the NYC helicopter crash. Someone mentioned it was the Commish's vehicle. Looks sweet.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
EVT said:
So much money wasted on this guy, makes me sick.

Remember to say that when the next President (Republican or Democrat) is elected and they use the same amount of equipment or more.

And the motorcades have actually gotten smaller from the past, we had as many as 18 - 20 USSS/WHCA vehicles for Bush #1 and Clinton, but both averaged about 12-14 and that doesn't count the press vans. I counted 8 USSS/WHCA vehicles in this one, and a basic motorcade around here is about 6-8 then the press vans.

NYC wasn't required to have 20+ motor units at the beginning, the commissioner and staff had no need to be in the motorcade, and the additional follow-on vehicles above the basic 2 -3 where not required.

If you don't like it then complain to the USSS, as the President has no say in what he gets.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Maybe this was for the VP?

Too bad that our society isn't like the royalty of Denmark. There's I believe, only 1 or 2 assistant/bodyguard whenever they are out in public. And I'm talking about MINGLING among the public and they don't get hounded on. Damn Booth, who got it all started.

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
ISU_Cyclone said:
That SUV at 0:20 is the one with all the grill lights people were discussing in the pics of the NYC helicopter crash. Someone mentioned it was the Commish's vehicle. Looks sweet.

No its not the PC's suv. The PC has a Chevrolet Suburban. Thats was a ford. The PC's suv has more lights than I have ever seen on an suv. Its unmistakeable.

This is the PC's car. Dont know what the video is supposed to mean....just posting for the image.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
one11sgt said:
No its not the PC's suv. The PC has a Chevrolet Suburban. Thats was a ford. The PC's suv has more lights than I have ever seen on an suv. Its unmistakeable.

This is the PC's car. Dont know what the video is supposed to mean....just posting for the image.

He can't have more than 1 vehicle? Or could he maybe have gotten a new vehicle since the Suburban?

buddabean

Mar 24, 2011
St Amant La
Last time the President came to Louisiana multiple agency's assisted in the motorcade. They shut down I 10 from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. Come to find out, the President wasn't even in any of the vehicle's in the motor pool. He was on an aircraft and flew from one air port to the other.

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
FDNY Ambulance 001 is dedicated only for the President. Ambulance 002 is for the VP. Ambulances 003-010 are for other dignitaries. They are bought new every so many years, and never go on any calls (just motorcades/standbys). Only the USSS, Fire HQ & Fleet Services have keys.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
FDNY 10-75 said:
FDNY Ambulance 001 is dedicated only for the President. Ambulance 002 is for the VP. Ambulances 003-010 are for other dignitaries. They are bought new every so many years, and never go on any calls (just motorcades/standbys). Only the USSS, Fire HQ & Fleet Services have keys.

I hope when they buy new ones, they atleast put the "old" units in service somewhere else in NYC. They cant have that many miles on them. Otherwise, what a friggin waste.

Also, are they staffed by FDNY Paramedics? How are they selected?

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
FireEMSPolice said:
I hope when they buy new ones, they atleast put the "old" units in service somewhere else in NYC. They cant have that many miles on them. Otherwise, what a friggin waste.

Also, are they staffed by FDNY Paramedics? How are they selected?

They are staffed by Paramedics of the FDNY EMS Dignitary Protection Unit (DPU). The ambulances are stripped and auctioned off after a few years of use. They don't go into the rest of the fleet due to how they are set up. They are bullet resistant and have a number of other features to protect dignitaries.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
FDNY 10-75 said:
They are staffed by Paramedics of the FDNY EMS Dignitary Protection Unit (DPU). The ambulances are stripped and auctioned off after a few years of use. They don't go into the rest of the fleet due to how they are set up. They are bullet resistant and have a number of other features to protect dignitaries.

New goal in life... Own a bullet proof ambulance. It's practically the ultimate Bug-Out Vehicle... :haha:

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
ISU_Cyclone said:
He can't have more than 1 vehicle? Or could he maybe have gotten a new vehicle since the Suburban?

No he does not have more than 1 vehicle. No he has not gotten a new one. Nor would the PC ever be in the Presidential Motorcade. I am quite positive of this.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
FDNY 10-75 said:

Still wasteful use of taxpayer dollars. I dont think any other city has EMS units set aside for dignitaries. NYC doesnt need them.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
FireEMSPolice said:
Still wasteful use of taxpayer dollars. I dont think any other city has EMS units set aside for dignitaries. NYC doesnt need them.

I can see how they could actually be used quite often, with the UN and what not being there. I don't think they need ten units, but one or two is understandable.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Having Ambo's like that are a waste of money for any city. The SS now brings its own black armored Ambo staffed with its own surgeons to Dallas. Even so, Dallas always includes an Ambulance and an Engine. There is no requirement for cities to provide any special vehicles. The SS handles all of that. They are also slick about putting on a long distance convoy while the POTUS is in a plain armored vehicle ahead of all the hoopla, or flown. They ran a rolling wall of 18 wheelers surrounding the limo a few years ago with Bush in town going to Ft. worth. Shut down both directions of teh freeway, and all over/underpasses. Bush rode in a different vehicle, on a different highway.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
RL1 said:
I can see how they could actually be used quite often, with the UN and what not being there. I don't think they need ten units, but one or two is understandable.

Yea, you never know, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad might keel over after his anti-US speech. I wish the UN would leave our soil, but thats for another thread.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
FireEMSPolice said:
Also, what makes the medics in this unit so special?

Background checks for security clearances I am guessing. I know the military medics and docs that were at the OEOB (Old Executive Office Building) on the White House grounds had to have the same security clearance that I had as a communications guy. Security clearance was required for anyone that had or may have first person contact with POTUS, VPOTUS, etc.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
SlickTop Solutions said:
Security clearance was required for anyone that had or may have first person contact with POTUS, VPOTUS, etc.

Unless of course you are one of Obama's thug cronies or union-brass idiots.

May 22, 2010
New York City
FDNY 10-75 said:

one of the former presidental units, was at division 22 shop, not too long ago, and was being used by the 22 batallion ems......... :thumbsup:

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
stfd1911 said:
at least the past presidents didnt spend a million dollars for a friggin bulletproof bus

Neither did this one...The USSS did.

And the USSS spent well over $1M in leasing/upfitting/downfitting busses for the last President and Candidates as well as the President and candidates before that one as well.

Presidents ask for funding for their Cabinet officials that run the government (in this case Dept. of Treasury), The US Congress and US Senate (your Congressman and two Senators) approve the request, NOT the President. The Treasury )in this case USSS) spends the money on the buses. If you want to blame someone, as your Congressman and Two Senators why they approve the expendatures for the buses?

Here ends the lesson...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.