Motorola Astro?

firemedic3404

Jul 28, 2012
Texas, USA
Going to do an up fit on chiefs F250. He needs it badly. Gonna go with Feniex... siren, lights, controller... the works. He has this Motorola Astro on it now, and from what I can tell, all it controls is the siren (which is controlled by his Motorola APX O7 radio head). Am I missing anything or is it safe to remove this unit all together and simply use the radio as a radio and no longer as a controller/radio. Sorry I’m a light and siren guy, not well versed in communications equipment (although more versed than most FFs).

Motorola spectra Astro...

Attachments

• 9AD9ACAB-A472-44DB-9F54-19820D19F009.jpeg
    9AD9ACAB-A472-44DB-9F54-19820D19F009.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 39
  • D2DF02C2-E6DE-435B-B771-8E2EEA5AF21E.jpeg
    D2DF02C2-E6DE-435B-B771-8E2EEA5AF21E.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 41
  • F1555A94-7DB9-4237-A746-2BA127EFCA9E.png
    F1555A94-7DB9-4237-A746-2BA127EFCA9E.png
    683.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
You should be fine to disconnect the siren but he may get an error message when the radio starts up because it’ll look for the siren. A simple reprogramming can fix that. Or you can leave it all together n he can run dual tones off the radio n whatever u put in. It appears lighting is controlled via switch box vs the radio.
Hope that helps.
Seth

firemedic3404

Jul 28, 2012
Texas, USA
You should be fine to disconnect the siren but he may get an error message when the radio starts up because it’ll look for the siren. A simple reprogramming can fix that. Or you can leave it all together n he can run dual tones off the radio n whatever u put in. It appears lighting is controlled via switch box vs the radio.
Hope that helps.
Seth
Thanks for the info bud, Just wanted that reassurance lol

Reactions: C17LVFD

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Going to do an up fit on chiefs F250. He needs it badly. Gonna go with Feniex... siren, lights, controller... the works. He has this Motorola Astro on it now, and from what I can tell, all it controls is the siren (which is controlled by his Motorola APX O7 radio head). Am I missing anything or is it safe to remove this unit all together and simply use the radio as a radio and no longer as a controller/radio. Sorry I’m a light and siren guy, not well versed in communications equipment (although more versed than most FFs).

Motorola spectra Astro...
No problem, but you’ll need to reprogram the radio to delete the siren programming or it will show an error code on powerup. Another option might be to leave the siren intact and just pull the lighting switch box, then add the feniex with a seperate speaker. Would allow for two siren tones at the same time and Motorola pa and radio functions are almost always better than outboard siren amps

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
Don’t just disconnect the Motorola siren unless you plan to reprogram the radio right away. The radio control head will definitely look for the siren box and may act funky

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.