motorola cm300 transmit issue

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
ive got a motorola cm300. i can transmit clearly and be received clearly on county radio channels. when transmitting on local channels i can only be heard on portables or pagers and not in headquarters. any1 got any ideas

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
emtfirebug said:
ive got a motorola cm300. i can transmit clearly and be received clearly on county radio channels. when transmitting on local channels i can only be heard on portables or pagers and not in headquarters. any1 got any ideas

Check the power output of the radio with a watt meter. There's a chance that the power output on your radio is very low, maybe due to a blown power amplifier. Pagers and radios nearby could still receive your transmission, while a distant headquarters building would not.

Also, pagers won't expect a PL tone, so they'll receive all transmissions on their set frequency regardless of the absence or presence of a PL tone. Check your PL tone (CTCSS tone) setting in the programming.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
emtfirebug said:
Your explanation of the problem is kind of apples and orange. You're describing how the radio works on county channels, sort of, and how it doesn't work on local channels, sort of.

How about you tell us what frequencies and PLs you're supposed to transmit and what frequencies and PL's the dispatch expects to hear. All of them, please, and which are giving you problems. Then we need to know exactly how your radio is programmed.

Sounds like a frequency or PL issue. If you can reach the dispatcher on county channels but not on local ones, then it has to be programming related.

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Are they repeated channels with a different transmit and receive frequency? Check the display and see if there is a little arrow between two lines on the screen. Our guys often put their repeated channel in talk around mode and can not reach dispatch. Think the default button is p3.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_13_edy3u8eg.jpg

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
ok to clearify the issue. i had the radio checked out by 2 different repair shops. when tested all channels are functioning as the should. on ce put back into my truck and re hardwired it doesnt always transmit. programming was double checked as well and all pls and everything match. portables and pagers can be up to a quarter mile away and pick up. after going on a call yesterday radio was not heard by apparatus in service but heard by headquarters a total of twice. none of the channels are in talkaround either

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
emtfirebug said:
ok to clearify the issue. i had the radio checked out by 2 different repair shops. when tested all channels are functioning as the should. on ce put back into my truck and re hardwired it doesnt always transmit. programming was double checked as well and all pls and everything match. portables and pagers can be up to a quarter mile away and pick up. after going on a call yesterday radio was not heard by apparatus in service but heard by headquarters a total of twice. none of the channels are in talkaround either
Thanks for answering all my questions. It makes it so much easier to help you.

Since the radio has been checked by two different shops, have you considered a bad antenna install or power cable problems? Based on your answers and since you had it checked in a shop, I can only presume that the programming is 100%, both frequency and PL.

Rather than have any of us speculate any more about the problem, take the car to a shop and have them check the whole install.

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
the 2nd shop that i brought it to checked everything including my setup. got a brand new whip plus base. after some thought im thinking it may actually be a combination of things not positive though. i think the wire that i used to hardwire might actually be smaller therefore not giving a good power/ground. the 2nd thing is it may possibly be the progamming. if any1 is in the jersey area that can take a look at programming that would be awesome.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.