Motorola Public Safety Mic 800mhz XTS5000

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
The search function didn't turn up anything on this, so sorry if I'm duplicating. The office I work for operates an 800mhz Moto system. They are changing over to APX7000, but most of the radios on the system are still XTS5000s. In the area we work in (mountains), digital reception can be complete crap to nonexistent in several areas, so I've often thought that moving the antenna up to my shoulder would be helpful. I've actually used 800mhz XTS5000 radios set up by the office with a public safety mic, RF adapter, and antenna on the mic. The problem is, I can only find public safety mics from motorola online that are UHF. Obviously they will reproduce the audio from the XTS5000 just fine, but I can't find anywhere that says you would get any benefit from the antenna. So are the radios I've used before just set up for show with incompatible equipment? Or can you actually attach an 800mhz antenna to the mic and get some benefit? Or am I just SOL on this? Thanks for any insight.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
AZEMT said:
The search function didn't turn up anything on this, so sorry if I'm duplicating. The office I work for operates an 800mhz Moto system. They are changing over to APX7000, but most of the radios on the system are still XTS5000s. In the area we work in (mountains), digital reception can be complete crap to nonexistent in several areas, so I've often thought that moving the antenna up to my shoulder would be helpful. I've actually used 800mhz XTS5000 radios set up by the office with a public safety mic, RF adapter, and antenna on the mic. The problem is, I can only find public safety mics from motorola online that are UHF. Obviously they will reproduce the audio from the XTS5000 just fine, but I can't find anywhere that says you would get any benefit from the antenna. So are the radios I've used before just set up for show with incompatible equipment? Or can you actually attach an 800mhz antenna to the mic and get some benefit? Or am I just SOL on this? Thanks for any insight.

You can definitely use these with an 800 MHz antenna on the mic. Most folks use as tubby but a regular antenna would work too (probably a little better). I think I may have one of these (straight cable) around but probably not with the antenna. Have. Great weekend

Bill

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.