Mounting 47" Code3 in place of 52" Whelen

rustycan_7.3

Mar 12, 2023
Massachusetts
I have a 1988 F350, came from the fire dept with a 52" Whelen Edge 9000. Few months ago I bought an amber 47" Code3 MX7000 to replace it for street use.

Right now I have it mocked up with some 90lb magnets from home depot. They work ok, but I wouldn't trust them over 30mph..

My question is, is there any way to mount the 47" using the existing brackets?

Obviously they're a few inches short of being able to clamp onto the door gutters, but I'm not opposed to having to do some modification to the brackets if its possible to make them work.

Thanks

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You should really go with a longer bar so the feet rest on the curved portion of the roof. A 58" MX7000 would be far better than a 47" MX7000.

I have answered similar questions before. Please have a look:

A 49" Patriot is too short for your application. Even if you move the feet out to their widest spacing, they won't rest on the curved portion of the roof where they belong. Either a 52" or 55" version would be a good fit for your full-size truck. Strobes N' More has compiled a useful list of strap kits and suggested lengths.

Borrowed from the Code 3 MX7000 installation manual:

ai-imgur-com_506zpao-png.196766

Borrowed from the Whelen Liberty installation manual:

ai-imgur-com_wwtuufk-png.196767

A 48" bar is too narrow compared to the width of the cab roof, especially if you intend to install it using straps that hook onto the rain gutters. If you try install a 48" bar, you will find yourself unable to set the feet wide enough so they land on the curved portion of the roof.

A 55" bar is probably what Whelen recommends, but I think a 60" bar looks best. In fact, you'll find that the cab roof measures 60" door seal to door seal.

With that said, the correct Whelen straps are marked with drawing number 60911. They are part of strap kit STPKT6 or MKEZ6. These straps are longer than most, at about 9-1/4" long:

bHj16rA.jpg

CZaeOvT.jpg

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have seen long bolts/threaded rods from the gutter hook to the bar used. Can't say I would trust or want the liability of magnets on a fullsize bar. Maybe for a parade but not for shuttling to or from the route.

Reactions: Dave F

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Long carriage bolts have been used for extending clamps. I can't say they are my first choice, but I have personally seen some so long I wonder where they were purchased.

Reactions: fp13-2 and Dave F

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.