Mounting a Federal Q in a Ford C8000

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex
I am wondering if anyone happens to have any knowledge or experience on mounting a Federal Q into the grille of a Ford C8000. My engine (a 1985) originally came with a grille mounted CP100 which I have removed in hopes of retrofitting the mounting hole to accept the Q instead. The Q I purchased came off of a slightly newer (87 I believe) Ford C-Series so I know this is doable. The main body of the siren fits well, my struggle is in fitting the brake solenoid and making sure it is securely a-fixed to the truck. I have not been able to find any images of how these were originally mounted in this type of truck so hoping the hive mind will be able to help! I am attaching a couple shots of the hole where the CP100 was mounted as it exists right now, however I realize it may need to be altered.IMG_7663.jpg
IMG_7662.jpg

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
What style bracket is on the Q now? They make pedestal and then a “flush” mount bracketry for different applications

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex
Take a look at the link below and the Q-MT mount, that’s what you’ll need

https://www.fedsig.com/product/q-siren

Excellent, I saw this when I was looking at wiring diagrams but somehow blanked on it now that I have gotten around to installing. Do you know how the brake solenoid interfaces with the bracket? I haven't been able to find a picture or diagram showing the brake installed, only the Q itself.

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
The brake shouldn’t interfere with that mount at all, the brake typically mounts right to the side of the siren

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex
The brake shouldn’t interfere with that mount at all, the brake typically mounts right to the side of the siren
Okay, I'll have to just bite the bullet and get the bracket. In my understanding the brake is in the pedestal so the bolts and mounting for the Q-MT will use the mounting points for the brake/pedestal

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Hmmmmm Federal may have changed their design in the years, the current models the brake attached directly to the side of the motor of the siren

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex
Hmmmmm Federal may have changed their design in the years, the current models the brake attached directly to the side of the motor of the siren
I will have to get a look at a current one somehow and see how the brake solenoid works on it. I'll post updates here as I go just in case anyone else can someday benefit from it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.