Mounting lights into an Edge frame with MX7000 parts

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
For a Whelen Edge wrecker bar build I'm doing, I needed to figure out how to add S/T/T lights & keep cost down.

Instead of paying $17 - $20 ea. for Whelen's version of the 1157 bulb, I decided to use a set of MX7000 S/T/Ts I had laying around.

The factory MX S/T/T bracket wouldn't fit, so I removed it & happened to grab an MX7000 rotator deck plate bracket.

It fits great in the Edge's frame & is reversible to mount the lights further in or out (in my case I flipped them inward to keep the STT bulb away from the lens).

Wasn't sure if anyone had thought of this yet or not, but there are tons of these MX brackets out there & they are pretty ridgid.

Might be a good solution to those making their own custom Freedoms, 9Ms, 9000s, etc. using their own LEDs.

I double stacked a couple sho-me LEDs on 1 bracket & they fit.

Hopefully this will help somebody out.

e9mxb.JPG

e9mxb1.JPG

e9mxb2.JPG

Reactions: deputychief301

beavercorp

Aug 4, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
It looks like it has potential... and since LEDs generate next-to-no heat, unless they scratch up against the lens, it shouldn't be an issue how close they are, considering as S/T/Ts the shouldn't be on for any length anyway.

OTFD211

May 24, 2010
Cleveland,Oh
Charger, I di something similar a few years ago... used the same LED heads but mounted them to ABS plastic sheet. The same style that came in the old 9000 edge

NHFD104

May 25, 2010
Raleigh, NC
FYI - Levolor vertical blinds make great spacers for Edge bars. You just cut them to the length you need and trim about a quarter inch from the edge. I paint them with hammertone aluminum paint to make them look like a part of the bar. Then you just slide it into the grooves. You can get a set of blinds for about $11. It's enough to make spacers for about 20 bars. :)

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Thanks! I made an LED arrowstick w/the brackets but removed them from the bar for now. Its' another one of those back burner things until I get to it - again :)

The factory Edge plastics usually work pretty well, but the bars I've been getting lately were from down south & the plastic took a beating (in this case cracking / brittle) via the sun/heat.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
If anyone wants some of these, I have about 15-20.... I think. Didn't count exactly.

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
Mount a pair of the commonly-available "pillow lights' to the 9M-style blackout panels will also slide right into the channel. Wiring is obviously a piece of cake...

100_4985.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.