Movies & Television: Police, Fire & EMS Vehicles

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I am still not knowing how a Pulsator sounds or should sound because I have never heard one.

I know that the little metal spring that make the ”flapper” move quite often broke.

I have a recording from a rid-along in an RMP that a reporter from the Svedish Radio did in early 70s and that one sounds like a normal electro mechanical siren.

The recording on the web site policeny.com sounds also quite normal, in my opinion.

Regardless, what can we expect from a restored vehicle that has a normal 175 with a clear sealed beam mixed in with the reds and the amber one.

Michel

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@dmathieu
Good, I had not seen that clip.
It is clear how the sound is when working. At least at close range.

The early 70s recording I have do not sound like that.
The recording was made inside the RMP when responding to a call.

I guess that the spring was broken as to what I have understand was very common and the siren sounded as a normal model 66.

Michael

Reactions: dmathieu

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Wow!! The Other.Persons.Property Police.... if that aint Nosey I dont Know what is!

So you're down with O.P.P? As a service, they can be pretty naughty by nature.

From the Canadian sketch comedy show The Kids in the Hall. Guys go from OPP constables in late 80s OPP cruisers with DA crossbars, to driving late 80s Toronto Metro cruisers while still wearing OPP uniforms and policing Toronto (OPP has provincial jurisdiction, though) then to wearing Toronto Metro uniforms and driving Toronto cruisers.

Is that a Dominion Automotive or D&R take on an LP6000? Profile doesn't look quite right for an LP, nor does the shape of the rotators. Or the red lenses, for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nolines

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
From Beverly Hills Cop. Did Detroit Police use PA Lights in 1984? I have no clue.

But I sure as heck know the Pointer Sisters when I hear them. The Neutron Dance!

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Another from The Kids in The Hall. At 1:20 in you can see an amber Twin 12X (i think..) and what looks like a pair of Dominion Auto beacons (unsure if they're DA or what model).

Catchy song, though. Who are the Daves that you know?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I am still not knowing how a Pulsator sounds or should sound because I have never heard one.

I know that the little metal spring that make the ”flapper” move quite often broke.

I have a recording from a rid-along in an RMP that a reporter from the Svedish Radio did in early 70s and that one sounds like a normal electro mechanical siren.

The recording on the web site policeny.com sounds also quite normal, in my opinion.

Regardless, what can we expect from a restored vehicle that has a normal 175 with a clear sealed beam mixed in with the reds and the amber one.

Michel

You have to peak and hold it to get the full effect, the NYPD installation had an on/off switch, I forget if it was one on/off & one manual momentary (plus horn ring) or an on/off/man switch. It sounds to me that the MIB RMP activated it manually and didn't give it a chance to fully wind up.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
From The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!

Looks like a Fireball on Drebin's car in the one scene and a lot of Cal Spec Aerodynic 24 EAH's.

Great movie series and a great TV show! Sledgehammer! is another goodie.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Another from The Kids in The Hall. At 1:20 in you can see an amber Twin 12X (i think..) and what looks like a pair of Dominion Auto beacons (unsure if they're DA or what model).

Catchy song, though. Who are the Daves that you know?

The amber lightbar.. definitely a Sireno Condor. On a sidenote: one of my best friends got to party with all five of the Kids in the Hall troupe about five years ago on their travel bus. His name.. Dave. Completely true.

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The amber lightbar.. definitely a Sireno Condor. On a sidenote: one of my best friends got to party with all five of the Kids in the Hall troupe about five years ago on their travel bus. His name.. Dave. Completely true.

But was it he Dave they know they know?

Clearly not a Dave they know they know. Or a Dave they don't remember they don't remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRGJr72

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Apparently Federal Power Lights are still going to be in use in our future world of 1997
Specifically to warn humans of the dangers of infrared parasite removal lasers inside of Class M-3 Model B-9 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robots......

Lost in Space episode (season 2, episode 26)
Trip Through The Robot

First appearance about 21 minutes in

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Here's one from behind the Berlin Wall. A short documentary about the East German Volkspolizei. Filmed in a style like The Police Tapes (inspiration for Cocaine Blues and later on, COPS). About as exciting as something you'd expect out of East Germany.

Skip to 12:35 or so to see the odd crossbars they used on their patrol cars. You'll see/hear them in action a few moments later. They didn't use a Hi-Lo tone, but a yelp of some sort. Now *this* equipment is likely tough to find!

Reactions: JazzDad

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The revolving lights are East German FER 8562.5 and the siren is a Hungarian Elektris Presston 7512.

A siren also used was Elektris Eriston 150 with hi-lo, slow yelp and fast yelp.

Between the two speakers is an FER (unknown model number) electro-mechanical (motor) siren that was connected to a flasher relay FER/AKA Electric 8901.4 to have an automatic wail.
Unfortunatly they did not use that one.

Michael

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I think you mean Hill Street Blues

Correct. Forgot about HSB. That style of filming was only used for the briefing scenes, IIRC. The pilot episode and first seasons used this best. I personally found that they refined it a bit in the mid to later seasons. This wasn't necessarily a good thing. Wish that Micheal Conrad was with the show until the end of its run. Shame what happened. Esterhaus was always more likeable than Jablonski and "Let's be careful out there" better than "Let's do it to them before they do it to us."

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I sort of copied those guys. After I held roll call I always ended with, "don't get hurt, don't break anything."

It's pretty good, but did you use the massive vocabulary that Esterhaus did? I remember one line from season 1 or 2: "Such are the vicissitudes of police work."

Do roll calls usually end with any sort of ending phrase these days? It reminds me of what an older Sergeant or Staff Sergeant would say and has a warmer sound to it that showed that they truly cared about each and every one of their officers in a fatherly way. I'm not saying that they don't nowadays, but it just seems like something that only officers from an older era would say. I say this in the best way possible. As I said, it sounds very fatherly. In the army, the older sergeants and warrant officers, while quite stern at times, would sometimes also have catchphrases like that. Those same SNCOs were always the ones that were most like father figures; not only to the troops, but to the subalterns as well as their platoon commanders.

Reactions: Phillyrube

Impala9C1

Sep 28, 2018
Arizona
Return of the Living Dead 1985

When two bumbling employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air, the vapors cause the dead to rise again as zombies

Attachments

• rotld amb.JPG
    rotld amb.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 20
  • rotld amb 2.JPG
    rotld amb 2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 18
  • rotld cop 1.JPG
    rotld cop 1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 20
  • rotld cop 2.JPG
    rotld cop 2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 19
  • rotld cop 3.JPG
    rotld cop 3.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 18
  • rotld cop 6.JPG
    rotld cop 6.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 21
  • rotld cop 5.JPG
    rotld cop 5.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 22
  • rotld cop 4.JPG
    rotld cop 4.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
  • rotld cop 7.JPG
    rotld cop 7.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 21
  • rotld cop 8.JPG
    rotld cop 8.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 18
  • rotld cop 9.JPG
    rotld cop 9.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 15
  • rotld cop 10.JPG
    rotld cop 10.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 15

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Return of the Living Dead 1985

When two bumbling employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air, the vapors cause the dead to rise again as zombies

That's one messed up warehouse! I would have never guessed that a medical supply warehouse would be stocking chemical/biological warfare agents. Good thing that the ones that I know if only stock dressings, splints, meds, etc otherwise we'd be cooked. I'm buying a few extra boxes of 00 buck just to be on the safe side though.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
It's pretty good, but did you use the massive vocabulary that Esterhaus did? I remember one line from season 1 or 2: "Such are the vicissitudes of police work."

Do roll calls usually end with any sort of ending phrase these days? It reminds me of what an older Sergeant or Staff Sergeant would say and has a warmer sound to it that showed that they truly cared about each and every one of their officers in a fatherly way. I'm not saying that they don't nowadays, but it just seems like something that only officers from an older era would say. I say this in the best way possible. As I said, it sounds very fatherly. In the army, the older sergeants and warrant officers, while quite stern at times, would sometimes also have catchphrases like that. Those same SNCOs were always the ones that were most like father figures; not only to the troops, but to the subalterns as well as their platoon commanders.

I didn't have Phil Esterhaus' eloquence, heheh. I was a Navy Chief Petty Officer, then went on the cops. Picked up a little leadership there.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Dexter the TV series. FS Model 100s on a crossbar?
They had the aerohawk style rotors not sealed beam. 217990

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I didn't have Phil Esterhaus' eloquence, heheh. I was a Navy Chief Petty Officer, then went on the cops. Picked up a little leadership there.

You'd pick up more than just a little leadership as an SNCO ;) . Not just a little leadership, but *proper* leadership. That distinct form of leadership that *always* mentored the troops and gave them guidance. Granted, just like there are lousy officers, there are sadly crappy SNCOs, but they're almost entirely in the Reserves, ime.

As a commissioned officer, I always had to maintain that certain degree of distance from the troops in terms of leadership style. I can tell you this though: I *always* and I mean ALWAYS turned to my SNCOs and NCOs for advice, guidance and recommendations first. They had the expertise, experience, skills and knowledge to guide me as a junior officer. Only an utter fool of an officer, regardless of rank, doesn't turn to his SNCOs and Warrant Officers for guidance, recommendations, advice and wisdom. As one SNCO told us as junior officers on a career course: "We as senior NCOs can do your job as officers, but you sure as hell can't do ours."

Reactions: Phillyrube

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Someone has a big one for sale on ebay, only $300. I was looking to buy one to put on a trailer nd haul it in parades a few years back.

Wish I knew how to take screen shots. Was watching an old Deep Space 9 episode," Far Beyond the Stars", set in the 50s. Ambulance was shown, red, with a propelloray on the roof between two steady burning reds, and a Mars wig wag on the bumper, with a red lens that said FIRE. Was on the screen for maybe 2 seconds.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Someone has a big one for sale on ebay, only $300. I was looking to buy one to put on a trailer nd haul it in parades a few years back.

Wish I knew how to take screen shots. Was watching an old Deep Space 9 episode," Far Beyond the Stars", set in the 50s. Ambulance was shown, red, with a propelloray on the roof between two steady burning reds, and a Mars wig wag on the bumper, with a red lens that said FIRE. Was on the screen for maybe 2 seconds.

2184211557167551468.png

Thanks, Skull.....didn't see the big siren on the right fender until now.....

Dec 17, 2018
TX, USA
i748250.jpg
i001233680.jpg

i753793.jpg

i999796.jpg

All from the show Supernatural. From what I can tell, an MX7000, Edge 9000, Aerodynic, and an older one I don't recognize (can't recall the make/model).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.