MSP Charger With half breed Beacons..................................

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Here is some pictures of the Chargers with the new expensive Whelen/Unity housing. No wonder our state is broke when they pay

$1,000 a piece and really are'nt as bright as the older style. The talons in the back window are really bright compared top the beacons.

ai67.photobucket.com_albums_h292_deputychief_MspCharger001.jpg

ai67.photobucket.com_albums_h292_deputychief_MspCharger007.jpg

Jim Rogers

deputyhief301

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Skip Goulet

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
I would have to agree, these are not near as bright as the old style. I am not sure why they are putting these on the chargers, they look a lot cooler and a lot sleeker with out

them. As for the Michigan budget problem... There are plenty of ways to cut back, but that's not going to happen, even now after "Holy Mole-ie" is gone.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
ai67.photobucket.com_albums_h292_deputychief_MspCharger001.jpg

LMFAO!!!! You've gotta be kidding me?!! How the hell do they expect to gain any respect with that ridiculous looking car?

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
I totally agree, this thing is ugly as hell with that big half breed beacon. The slick tops are sleek but

someone in our capital has close friends.Funny thing is this charger is assigned to a post commander .

And just think Michigan is broke but paying out alot of cash for this junk beacon

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I guess Chrysler added some support beams to the roof of the new Charger!

Single colored beacon, shark fin on the hood, score 1 for tradition. And it works. I think its cool.

Does anyone have any paper work backing up the high cost? I'm sure back in 2008 when they first started switching over, it was expensive, but didnt they get some sweet deal for a retro fit kit?

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
HILO said:
I guess Chrysler added some support beams to the roof of the new Charger!

Single colored beacon, shark fin on the hood, score 1 for tradition. And it works. I think its cool.

Does anyone have any paper work backing up the high cost? I'm sure back in 2008 when they first started switching over, it was expensive, but didnt they get some sweet deal for a retro fit kit?

I still think it would have looked cooler with the modules installed vertically and set to a chase pattern that emulated a rotator!

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Back before 2008 I was actually at the place where they were being put together and was told by the

person putting them together that the cost was $1,000 each. He also said that they were buying

the housings off of unity and installing their (Whelen) leds in the unity housing. I sorta believed him

as he is a Whelen Rep for Michigan but then again he could have been bull shitting me like he has

others. Michigan has a tendency to pay alot for equipment as the important people in Michigan

have deep pockets. To answer your question,No I never actually seen a bill or paper work on the

price. I was just going by what the Michigan Whelen Rep told me.

I was also told these beacons has many flash patterns but a commanding official for the Michigan state police

picked the flash pattern and that the single wire that changes the flash pattern was cut on all beacons

preventing troopers from changing the flash patterns.

Jim Rogers

deputycheif301

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
For Michigan being broke, they sure can find redicilous money for these stupid things. That money could EASILY buy a decent lightbar.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
There was a video that someone put out earlier. Its basically just a slow flasher pattern. Nothing impressive.

Only thing impressive is that someone made alot of money for junk. I talked to alot of troopers and they

are very disappointed in this led beacon and liked the older ones. The state is sticking by the story that

its going to save them alot of money from buying bulbs for the older style beacons, but the typical story

from Michigan as their is some deep pockets being stuffed with money in Lansing our Capital.

Things are so Bad here that they are closing 12 state police post many stuffing their officers into mini

stations where ever they can find free space for the troops. Were even going to have a mini station in

the state prison where I work. In our county we have two state troopers assigned here and they had to

rent house with garages so they could hide the cars on their off days.If anyone wants more info about these

terrible looking things can contact the Michigan Whelen rep.

I am not bashing anyone for making alot of money as whelen for making these leds beacons

Jim Rogers

deputycheif301

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
The slick tops are really impressive with the leds on the mirrors and push bumpers and look awesome.

I believe if they would make more slick tops vics, alot troopers would be happy with the out come

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Keith K. said:
GIve it a few years and Federal Signal will have a retrofit LED rotator like the Vision SLR.

Someone needs to make a super big "SLR-Style" LED rotator retrofit with spitfire........ that would be almost be worth it.

Detroit VAP

Jan 16, 2011
US Michigan
The state is not buying new housing from Unity for the LED lights. What they are doing is when a light stops working (which is one of the reasons for the change), they are taking the old works out and putting the Whelen module in. When a new car is upfitted, they are changing out the inner works and not waiting for the old one to stop working. Several of the local upfitters in SE Michigan have been making repairs on the old lights. Sometimes the same light breaks within a few days of being repaired. Unity no longer makes the light is the main reason for the change. MSP begged them to continue to make them and they did for a couple of years, but MSP was the only one buying them. I agree the flash pattern sucks. They are bright, but not as bright they could be.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I have to agree w/the patterns being not the greatest on this light.

As far as a cost, I haven't asked anyone in a while. Last year, I checked 2 or 3 different sources & one could be had for around $1000 - $1300 range. That was for me as an individual though; I have no idea what the state actually pays.

But, $200 for a new halogen non-Spitfire RV26 would seem to make more sense for a "broke" state like this one.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
ChargerLighting said:
But, $200 for a new halogen non-Spitfire RV26 would seem to make more sense for a "broke" state like this one.

Or even half that for a Model 14...

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
I just got back from a week long drive school at the MSP facility where I drove one of the 2011 Chargers with the LED beacon. There were also several other cars there with the traditional RV-26 using both Spitfire and solid domes. All 9 students in the class who are LEO's with careers ranging from 3 years to 20+ years agreed hands down the LED beacon was far more visible. We were there this past week when there practically wasn't a cloud in the sky most days and temps were over 100 degrees in bright sunlight. The track covers about 42 acres so the cars ended up being a good distance away and were still very visible. Keep in mind, these lights are on a on-off-on rocker switch that allows for high power or low power operation. There is a significant difference in the two intensity levels and when switched to low power mode during the day it is very noticeable. It is certainly a different look, no arguing that, and probably not appealing to some. Personally it is growing on me. I like the look of the old Spitfire with its pinkish hue, but I would feel just as safe using the LED beacon as the next guy with a full lightbar on the roads I have in my patrol area.

Most of the cars had the beacons set to differnt flash patterns at the track. They used the track as a place to see what looked good and what did not work as well. Several were set to rotator pattern. Everyone will have their own preference on patterns...some looked good to me...some did not.

They said that the MSP has about 630 marked patrol cars across the state. Most of which have the beacon on the roof, so thats around 1200 bulbs. I asked what annual costs were for replacing the ligthbulbs and was told typically they have averaged about $60,000 a year in replacement bulbs. Since they have begun phasing in the LED beacons on new cars and on old lights that have failed that cost has been reduced. They spent about $30,000 in replacement bulbs last year. Is it a good choice financially for the State? Not my place to say, I don't know. I can see how after phasing out the old lights there is a potential to save a large amount of money. Depends on what they do with the saved money I think to show if its a smart move.

Just like each member here prefers their favorite brand/light, MSP likes their tradition and found a way to modernize the light while maintaining the traditional look of their agency. I say good for them.

I uploaded a video I took with my phone from the last day showing a couple of the beacons. This was the really the only cloudy day there, but it still gives a good idea of the light. The second video shows the rotator pattern in use....

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I've seen these LED beacon retrofits in videos and up close in-person. The LED flash is PROFOUNDLY brighter than the original rotator. And I admit this being a huge fan of the classic Unity RV-26 on MSP cars. Like someone else here said, it would be awesome if they would design a rotating LED beacon that, like the Federal Vision SLR, uses an upward-facing LED ring under a moving reflector. ANYWAY.... watch this video which features both the LED RV-26 and the original rotating RV-26 side-by-side (fast-forward the video to 7:28).

cory y

May 21, 2010
LRGJr72 said:
Pretty sure that is the 2012 model by looking at the grill, side panels and taillights.

Nope its a 2011. 2012s have not hit the production line. Besides there's nothing different externally between the 2011 and the 2012

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
LRGJr72 said:
Pretty sure that is the 2012 model by looking at the grill, side panels and taillights.

2011 was the big body update across most of the Chrysler/Dodge line. The only noticeable body changes for the 2012 Chargers will be on the SRT8, it gets a really obnoxious grill, in keeping with the SRT8 attitude. :)

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
I agree with Andy. The LED beacons are brighter hands down. I think the OP just has a slight bit of bias going on here though. I'm not a fan of the beacons, but it's tradition and that's what MSP is sticking to. I say good for them.

Although it is sad to see MSP posts being shut down and making the officers resort to "their patrol cars are mobile offices". Atleast they are keeping officers on the road comapred to Ingham county who is down from 48 to 16 officers.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I agree that the LED beacon is brighter than the sealed beam version, but the LED lacks the visual "pop" of a sealed beam spot light. Other than being brighter, the LED has the advantage of being able to alter the flash rate/pattern.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
the second video on the track, with the rotating pattern, it gave a nice pop, I think it is better than the blinding blur of full bars.

I'd like to see one of the companies go retro modern and make a 2 beacon bar with rotator patterns.

And sure enough, no brake lights with the back up flashers....

Great video's Andy L, cant get much better than that!

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Great videos DeputyChief! I have been hearing about the rotating pattern, but I have not seen it until now. I like the rotating pattern much better, there isn't any dead time on the light. With the blinking pattern there are moments where there is no light present while the car is moving at fast pace. We call them trouble bubbles!!!

The LED version comes in at a cost of $985.00 and the halogen verson is about $380.00 so don't for one moment let MSP tell you they are doing this because of "cost". In no way are bulb costs the main factor. Yes, bulbs on these DO go out quite often, but not enough to justify the cost of going to LED. Like other departments they see that LED's have their benefits.

The expensive parts to fix are the gear trains ($75.00) and motors ($30.00). Yes, MSP is using the old base and red domes, but they are also buying the base ($85.00) and domes ($45.00) for their current new builds. According to the conversation I had with Unity Corp today, the RV-26 is still in production, but mainly for parts. They are working on an LED bulb that will fit into the bulb housing of these lights. But their main priority is their new LED spotlights and rooflights, which is their big money maker since the beacons aren't big on the list of sales.

262428_10150346207302216_114238542215_9925727_8182350_n.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
HILO said:
I'd like to see one of the companies go retro modern and make a 2 beacon bar with rotator patterns.

I was thinking of doing something like that with SLR single pods. They are just so got dang expensive!

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
I dunno, I know many think they're hideous, but I like the nod to the departments tradition. Yeah, there are more effective light systems out there and the current roof setup precludes takedowns and alleys (which I wholeheartedly support after driving cruisers without takedowns for 11 years - and no, a spotlight is not the "do-all" illumination tool.... it's beam is more narrowly focused and at a much lower level while takedowns provide a flood pattern much higher up that illumiates the entire suspect vehicle much more effectively), but I still have a warm spot for the "tradition" aspect.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Why are they paying $985.00 for this abortion when they can get Whelen L-31's for a third of the price?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
badge22 said:
Why are they paying $985.00 for this abortion when they can get Whelen L-31's for a third of the price?

Tradition man. They have been passing those lights down and down for a long time. Can't mistake a MSP for anyone else once you see that light on top.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lafd55 said:
Tradition man. They have been passing those lights down and down for a long time. Can't mistake a MSP for anyone else once you see that light on top.
They're the only police force of any appreciable size (this one, for example, is too small to count in this case) that uses a round beacon as their rooftop warning light. I hardly think it'd be any different if they switched to L31's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.