MSP in NJ during Sandy Aftermath

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
ast123 said:
Isn't that what the blue (or red) blinkies are for???

Oh, I thought you meant like what is its function... The Michigan State Police is a very traditional organization, so that is why the fin is still on their cars along with the "bubble light" up top. Its old school....

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
[Broken External Image]:https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/521565_10151329672727216_977574764_n.jpg

Wow! I see MSP wasn't alone....

I found more on this:

New Jersey State Police - 2012 News Releases

Troopers deploying to New Jersey from multiple State Police agencies include:

Pennsylvania State Police - 105

Maryland State Police – 25

Mississippi Highway Patrol – 50

Michigan State Police – 24

Florida Highway Patrol – 25

Maine State Police – 15

Louisiana State Police – 25

Vermont State Police – 11

Last edited by a moderator:

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I figured I would email the links to OSHP and ask them why they weren't helping. I got this:

Thank you for your e-mail to the Ohio State Highway Patrol concerning our involvement with Hurricane Sandy relief. When the request came in last week regarding our assistance, a member of our staff contacted the person listed on the request. After careful consideration, both the New Jersey Emergency Management Agency (EMA) and the Patrol determined that at this time our department would stand down due to the distance between our state and the shoreline. Each state affected by Hurricane Sandy had several departments within their state and neighboring states who volunteered to assist. Due to the distance to travel and the assistance they had from closer agencies, we agreed to stand down. The offer was made but not accepted last week.

Sincerely,

Michele DeGraffinreed

OSHP/Public Affairs Unit

I sent them an email back making sure they new Michigan went.

I'm proud of those agencies that did send LEO's. Especially Louisiana. That was a long haul.

To those Michigan Troopers who passed through Ohio to help out, I salute you! :hail:

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Along with the fin and the bubble, another Michigan tradition--helping others in need. MSP and dozens of other Michigan agencies sent LEOs to help after Katrina.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

NJMedic

Mar 13, 2011
USA, New Jersey
I am a paramedic in Trenton, NJ and live in Camden County. We in my town were very lucky and had minimal damage. In 2005 I deployed with a 6 man decon team from the hospital that I work with. We worked with and assisted many NJ police units along with units of the NJSP. I wish to thank all the Troopers, Fire Fighters, EMT's and paramedics who have responded to New Jersey for assistance to our state. I worked 96 hours the week of the storm including a shift with the NJ EMS TF at the Mobile Emergency Dept. in Brick, NJ. To all who have sent units or equipment thank you very much.

Mark B.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Wow that's an awesome turnout, props to PASP, wish I was within reasonable distance to take a ride down and shoot some photos.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
OSP959®, its funny that OSHP will deploy Washington DC for the Presidential Inauguration but wont deploy to areas affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Their response about the distance is BS, pure and simple. This is evidenced by agencies presently in the area that drove from further distances. I look forward to their response about MSP and others going to help.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
FireEMSPolice said:
OSP959®, its funny that OSHP will deploy Washington DC for the Presidential Inauguration but wont deploy to areas affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Their response about the distance is BS, pure and simple. This is evidenced by agencies presently in the area that drove from further distances. I look forward to their response about MSP and others going to help.

Aww, I wouldn't harp on your state too much. Just like some of the newer methods of mutual aid in the fire service is to call for trucks from further away, rather than utilize all your resources in one area, kind of makes sense. Leave a few back home just "in-case".

Although if EMAC pays for everything, their reasoning for not coming is a little strange. Is OH hurting for Troopers?

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I went back and forth with the patrol over them not wanting to help people.

Once I was checking IS 90 EB in Lake County, and when I got to the Ashtabula County line, I saw cars a little way down the interstate in the median. Ashtabula's ODOT hadn't hit their section of the interstate yet, and I went to assist. My Sergeant ordered me back in to our post area since another post covered that area. I went back to the post and told him my car says State Trooper, not Lake County Trooper. When I saw a chance to retire I took it. I wish I would have found a way to keep my certification. Ohio doesn't have any recertification programs for LEO's after 2-years. You have to redo the whole thing.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious of those MSP guys.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
OSP959® said:

Once I was checking IS 90 EB in Lake County, and when I got to the Ashtabula County line, I saw cars a little way down the interstate in the median. Ashtabula's ODOT hadn't hit their section of the interstate yet, and I went to assist. My Sergeant ordered me back in to our post area since another post covered that area. I went back to the post and told him my car says State Trooper, not Lake County Trooper. When I saw a chance to retire I took it. I wish I would have found a way to keep my certification. Ohio doesn't have any recertification programs for LEO's after 2-years. You have to redo the whole thing.

Don't know how far into retirement you are, but the MSP is always looking for Motor Carrier officers!

MSP - Motor Carrier Officer Fact Sheet

Might be my ideal retirement job lol

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
mjMIff said:
Aww, I wouldn't harp on your state too much.

Like I said, OSHP will jump at the chance to go to Washington DC to assist with security for the Apologist-In-Chief but wont do something more helpful, useful and worthwhile, such as aid in a disaster.

mjMIff said:
Is OH hurting for Troopers?

They are always recruiting. Its a tough process. Hell, I cant even get a dispatcher job with OSHP and I know people with alot less experience have gotten those spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
OSP959® said:

How come this is the same sentiment I hear all the time from current or retired Troopers or OSHP personnel? Seems as they are more afraid of the politics and policies then anything else.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
How come this is the same sentiment I hear all the time from current or retired Troopers or OSHP personnel? Seems as they are more afraid of the politics and policies then anything else.

They like what they do, like working for the people, but hate the organization they do it for because of how they treat their employees, and the public.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
On another note, I drove the width of NJ a couple of times today on I-80 and the number of convoys of power company bucket trucks was mind boggling. Both east & west bound.

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Funny that Ohio was too far. I was working in the yard yesterday and I saw a collumn of patrol vehicles coming off the intersate. I looked closer and saw the Illinois State Police "yellow" stripe.... Considering I am over 4 miles inside Indiana, I though wow... Must be something huge going on... Com,e to later find out, the State of Illinois is deploying a Mobile Field Force consisting of ISP, Springfield PD, Champaign County Sheriff, and a couple other departments to assist for a week in NJ... I just figured they were coming to get cheaper gas LoL... Glad to see them headed to assist another agancy/state. Wish my agency would do things like this...

Dennis

resQyou

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
NPS Ranger said:
On another note, I drove the width of NJ a couple of times today on I-80 and the number of convoys of power company bucket trucks was mind boggling. Both east & west bound.

I know the company I do some work for his 2800 people up there right now...

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
Texas has a massive team in NY/NJ area as does Vermont CT rhode island i have seen a ton cant recall them all now

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
2000 out of state LE were sworn in at the same time in Ft. Dix about a week ago. I've worked with Maryland SP almost every night with with my PD, they are a good group of guys.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.