MVA, person trapped, extrication. Ok where is thier PPE and command?

jswwjw

Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
I snipped this photo from a local news source. I have a firefighting past as well and ALWAYS wore and demanded that my firefighters wear the proper PPE for the task. I give this about a 1/2 the effort.

Your comments?

extrication.jpg

blulytes

Jan 25, 2013
Chester County PA
Ugh...

where to start.

1. PPE use: Nobody is in full gear.

2. Stabilization of the vehicle... can't see but it does not look like there is any cribbing visible under the rockers.

3. Guy standing on car? really? Haven't we learned better? unless you absolutely cant get to the other side...

4. Is that a RAM in the passenger footwell? interesting... what could they push from there?

5. Hazards (OK, lets assume they disconnected the 12v battery and no fuels) probably not as that may be the headlight shining on the tree.

6. Access - Doesn't seem to be an issue as the leading edge of the back door was not crimped and glass is intact.

7. Glass - If you are cutting... take all the glass, it appears none has been taken

8. Doors. why wouldn't you have taken them to get out of the way?

9. Roof cuts... It looks like they are flapping the roof towards the woods? That B post and door needs to go.

Its also really easy to critique a picture for something i wasn't at or don't know the circumstances... regardless there is NO excuse for not wearing full PPE on any call. :bonk:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I think that 1/2 effort is generous; I'd give them a 1/10 just for showing up & that's it. While there are a boatload of problems with regards to the extrication operation itself, my biggest concern is PPE...At ANY extrication call, EVERY member should have the following on BEFORE they even get out of the truck: helmet, proper eyewear protection (minimum of extrication glasses, goggles, or defenders; 4" face shields are not sufficient by themselves), FULL PPE, proper gloves, & vests. And, if you have to cut windows, i always have my hood ready for basic resp. protection & my ear flaps down. Now, we all take our jackets off towards the end of the call, but that's when we're done with the vehicle & waiting for the wrecker to take it away (not when we still have the hydraulic tools deployed & are still climbing around jagged metal & glass edges.

$10 bucks says they don't even have an engine/pumper anywhere on scene or a properly-protected "work zone."

jswwjw

Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
We always dispatched an additional engine and deployed a line when an extrication was taking place. We had some FF'rs show up and not be properly dressed and incident command took care of that.

I liked the fact that we followed the safety protocol when conducting extrications. I was a Volunteer and then career in S. Florida so we did a LOT of extrications.

keep the comments going. Lets all learn from this.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
"But it was an emergency. We had to get in there fast."

I've had that told to me.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
We have a town that is close to us that pulls the same crap with lack of PPE. And they laugh at us because we wear vests, full PPE, SCBA's longer and are very strict on our rules. Unfortunately for them, they were taken off our mutual aid plan due to their lack of safety and care.

On a side note, they are also a department that will send the truck to every structure fire when the Engine and Tanker were requested.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
I'm trying to list things you all haven't pointed out. The picture makes me cringe and pray nobody got hurt. Also, I resent the white helmet comment above:haha:

- Lighting: use it. Not flashlights, use whatever BIG lights you have.

- Technique: there is none being used. Maybe consider a side out? Or if you need to, make it a convertible!

- Patient care: seems like too many people on and shoving the car (bending doors, standing on hood, etc) You need good spinal immobilization. Then ABC's, vitals and basic management until removed.

- Airbags: NEVER position yourself inside of a compartment with an airbag that hasn't deployed (guy in front passenger seat.)

- Command: someone needs to take a step back and look at the scene. Control the operations. Too much tunnel vision going on here.

- Safety Officer: Not command. A dedicated safety officer just to look at the things you're all calling out. He/She can also get closer than command and watch for dangers. Remember the key word "FREEZE!" That means all Ops stop.

I'm sure there's more points...but wow. Someone needs to talk to their department before they get someone killed. There are a LOT of good extrication books and even companies that will come to your dept and train on this. Be safe guys...

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
That picture makes you "cringe"?

Good grief safety Susie's.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Flashguy said:
AAAAAAnd your attitude is why people get hurt and killed. Keep up the great work:duh: :hopeless: :suicide:
FREEEEEZE!!!!

I am not dead, not ate any of those photographed since the incident.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nosajj