MX7000 Intersection Sweepers

Ferbert

Mar 1, 2019
Birmingham, AL
Hello All,
I currently have an MX7000 mounted on top of my Fire Truck. I want to add intersection lights to the ends, and I found a pair to buy. Is it a really easy add on? Do I need a wiring diagram to connect them? What kind of screws are required - sheet metal or machine? Sorry - just ignorant here.....

Thanks Everyone!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
It depends on how you want to do this and what your bar is set up like now. Some photos would help. Your bar may have a harness pre-prepped to hook in to so you don't have to run a full new wire; or it may not and it may be easier to tie in to something else depending on how you want your light to function.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
They typically just mount to a riser on the frame rail with 2 screws each. (I likely have some if needed, I also have good condition sweeps if you have not picked them up yet). You will need to remove the top plate to get to where you can mount them. I have only seen 2 types of MX7000 bars, older ones where the motor for the upper rotators sits below a flat plate with only the reflector visible and newer where the upper plate has a recessed trough that the upper rotators sit in (these are quicker to remove too).

The 2 types of bars will mount the sweep the same but be completely different on how to get inside them.

As tsquale said it may or may not have the wiring. Typically they do have additional unused wires. Feel free to pm me with questions or for more info. I am sure I have plenty of pix of opened up bars too.

Reactions: Pete L.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
I believe C3 had 2 versions of sweeps. One did a wider sweep and the other Did a shorter degree range with more forward. May have been faster also

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
the other Did a shorter degree range with more forward.

I think those are known as "pursuit" sweeps. I believe they are also the style that can be found inside of some SlickStik models.

The earliest intersection sweeping lights had a metal arm connecting the gear to the reflector instead of an arm made of plastic.

Ferbert

Mar 1, 2019
Birmingham, AL
Hey Everyone..... OK... I have 2 intersectors - and I cannot - for the life of me - figure out how you mount them. I have attached 2 pictures of my bar and what I see. Please help. And give me lots of detail on this so I can figure it out.

NOW... I have another problem, and I think I know that I did to mess it up. Since I had the bar taken apart, I said hey - lets lube the rotators. So - I squirted lube on the top and bottom part of the rotator. Well... now they do not work at all. For a while, they slowly turned and the lamps were very dim. Now - there is nothing. Did I short them out with the lube?

Call me an idiot... ha ha!

Greg

Attachments

• Lightbar2.jpg
    Lightbar2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Lightbar1.jpg
    Lightbar1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 28
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
For the intersection sweeps, there should be a white with black wire on the far ends by the alley lights.......the white with black wires get connected to the sweeps.

As for the rotator issue.......I'm clueless.

Ferbert

Mar 1, 2019
Birmingham, AL
OK... well.. I can't even figure out where the thing mounts in the bar. It seems that there is no place for it to mount. I tried it in several places. If you can tell me - or send me a pic - that would be great.

Greg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Granted what's pictured is a smart intersecion light, but the mounting is the same:

d7502616-09a6-45e7-8efc-b9f651ecd76f.JPG

Photo credit: @Phoenix_Rising from an old Panjo listing

Ferbert

Mar 1, 2019
Birmingham, AL
Ok.... thanks for that pic. I will give it a shot next weekend. I tried to mount them that way, but it seemed the holes in the bar didn't match the holes in the intersector. There will probably be more to come.

Thanks again!

Greg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Yes, there are right and left intersection lights.

One kind fits in the driver's side front position or in the passenger's side rear position. The other kind is the mirror image of the first, and fits the in passenger's side front position or the driver's side rear position.

Ferbert

Mar 1, 2019
Birmingham, AL
OK... how do I know what Intersectors I have? So they should be mirror images - or I have 2 of the same.

Also - on my rotator problem... I have figured out that the rotators are fine - so it must be something in the wiring harness? Do you have a wiring diagram - or do I need one to troubleshoot this wiring/power problem? This is a bar on a fire truck. It has 2 rotators on each end, and 2 rotators in the center. Right now, the center rotators are working ok. Both sides are not working at all. Any ideas on what to test? I am guessing that the power coming into the bar is ok... it is something in the bar that is hosed up. Is there a board in the bar - or is it just wires running around? Thanks for all of your help - I really do appreciate it. Greg

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
You can convert them but it is not easy. If you look at your 120 degree sweeps, there are several things you will need to do. On the Light Module, the pin where the plastic arm is, you would need to remove it and reinstall (Which usually it can't after you remove it) it on the small hole to the rear of the light module about 1/2" from where you removed it from. Then once you do that you'll need to drill out the rivets of the light module and then rivit it in the different holes where the module will not hit the base while oscillating. Its a job but I've done it before.

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
OK... how do I know what Intersectors I have? So they should be mirror images - or I have 2 of the same.

Also - on my rotator problem... I have figured out that the rotators are fine - so it must be something in the wiring harness? Do you have a wiring diagram - or do I need one to troubleshoot this wiring/power problem? This is a bar on a fire truck. It has 2 rotators on each end, and 2 rotators in the center. Right now, the center rotators are working ok. Both sides are not working at all. Any ideas on what to test? I am guessing that the power coming into the bar is ok... it is something in the bar that is hosed up. Is there a board in the bar - or is it just wires running around? Thanks for all of your help - I really do appreciate it. Greg

The MX7000 Fire Bars had either a 9 or 11 conductor wiring harness coming up and into the lightbar. Then an internal harness what
EHFD_Tower_75, said look for a white wire with black stripe these should be at each end. Also what SHUES said is also true, there is a left & right side intersection light. Both motors face towards the front of the lightbar the holes in the base are to the rear. If you do have a left and right side intersector lights you just slide the base over the mounting holes until two lineup but make sure ther light module is clear not striking or hitting anything inside the lightbar. You can test this once you mount it, turn the gear on the motor and watch the light module ends if it hits anything you'll need to move the enter light to the next set of holes that line up with the base.

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA

PS; This happens a lot when you lift up the mid-plate where the rotators are mounted, then you "remount" the midplate, the rotator wiring gets caught between the black mid-plate and the mount causing it to short. First check make sure the wiring is not pinched there. Also, the motors are not designed for wet lube like WD40 or similar lubricant.

Ferbert

Mar 1, 2019
Birmingham, AL
Ok... it was a wiring problem on the rotators. One wire was hot, and the other one that used to be hot - wasn't any more. I tried tracing the wire, but it ended going into a black hole. So, I tapped the hot wire to run everything in the light. Seems to be working ok.

As far as the intersectors - they installed fine after I was told how they go in. Thanks to everyone that helped me. They are working great - the driver side one mounted in the front, and the passenger side mounted in the back. Thanks again everyone.

tlfd40

Jul 3, 2021
Tupper Lake NY
Our used engine we bought from another department has a 7000 on the roof, the right intersection light is out. Is the bulb replaceable or the whole assembly. Thanks for the help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.