MX7000 Strobe Bar

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Today I picked up some Code 3 MX7000 lightbars with the center clear rotator and intersection sweeps. All had nice long harnesses except one. It didn't have a harness at all. When I got home and looked at it closer, I realized it was a strobe bar with (8) strobe heads, center rotator, intersection sweeps, and halogen flashers.

I'm expecting that this bar isn't going to work since the harness is missing. I've seen tons of halogen bars. How common are these strobe bars? Are the strobe power supplies easy to find used to get it working? Can these power supplies be replaces with the ones you see in here all the time to power remote strobes? I haven't taken it apart yet, does the original harness plug in to the power pack somewhere, and how hard are the harnesses to find?

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do with this and how much work/money I want to put in to it.

Sorry for all the newb questions.

mx_strobe-2.JPG

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The power supplies should work. If they don't, the fuse is probably just blown. If the exterior cable is missing, just go out and buy a new one, they're not terribly expensive.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
EL1998P71 said:
Are you talking about the harness inside the bar from the strobe tubes to the power supply or the cable that exits out the bottom?

There isn't a cable coming out of the bottom of the lightbar. I don't understand why it would have been removed if the lightbar was functioning properly. I haven't looked at it close enough yet to see how to get in where the cable goes and power it up.

LightBars4Sale.com

Dec 9, 2010
Norton Ohio 44203
OSP959® said:
There isn't a cable coming out of the bottom of the lightbar. I don't understand why it would have been removed if the lightbar was functioning properly. I haven't looked at it close enough yet to see how to get in where the cable goes and power it up.

i have cables - parts etc for these

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
It shouldn't be too hard to build a harness for it...then again I've never worked on a strobe MX. I never cared much for the light throw those had.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
While the output is less than desirable, this bar, I think, is worth having in the collection for its collectible traits. I have 5 MX's in the collection, and a couple of parts bars, and I would love to have a strobe MX in the collection. I think the major companies really tried to make strobe technology in full size bars take off (JetStrobe, StrobeHawk, strobe MX, etc.), but that was Whelen's bread and butter. There's something about the Edge series that just seemed to work. I think since the Edge is sealed off from the top with the aluminum base, it doesn't allow the washing out of the strobes firing with an open lensed lightbar. I can only assume it was a matter of design and more powerful strobe tubes.

It shouldn't be too hard to get to where the lightbar's wiring harness goes. The strobes sit on a deck. There should be screws you can undo. You can then lift the deck out of the way. There should be a junction where the wiring harness meets up with the other wires in the bar. All you'd have to do is get the lightbar cable. I'm sure someone on here can help you with obtaining one of those.

That junction should be over the passenger side of the lightbar. There should be a hole underneath the passenger side where you can run the lightbar cable to.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
So, a little update.....

I finally got around to messing with this bar. I had initially tried to get the strobe to fire, but I was only getting (1) strobe to flash, so I gutted the bar. I eventually started messing with the strobes again on my bench and realized that I could only get (1) side to flash (rear). So I took each side (right - left), moved (1) strobe from the back to the front, and set it up with (2) strobes on each side instead of (4). I then added a fast rotator to the ends and installed it in another MX7000.

I now have a bar setup with a fast outboard rotator, front and rear inboard strobes, center clearing light, intersection sweeps, take downs, alleys, and front and rear flashers.

Now I'm split on if I want to keep it. I had put together a MX7000 for my own collection, but I personally have never seen a strobe MX7000 before. Maybe I'll tell the wife I couldn't find anyone who wanted to buy it. :bonk:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
OSP959® said:
I now have a bar setup with a fast outboard rotator, front and rear inboard strobes, center clearing light, intersection sweeps, take downs, alleys, and front and rear flashers.

That sounds like a really good setup...video???

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
PJD642 said:
That sounds like a really good setup...video???
I have found, in the past, that Code 3's strobes were tricky to work with and very easy to burn up. The Intensity aka xs 8000 was horrible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.