MX7000 strobe

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I am debating whether to try to save this somewhat oddly setup MX7000 strobe bar when this reserve truck becomes someone's painter's van...

It has 5 top linear strobes, front flashers, takedowns and alleys. The linear reflector have a little blackening, not bad based on the age of the vehicle.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_mxstrb.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_mxstrb2.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_mxstrb3.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hoser said:
Go for it, looks like it has alot of potential.

Basically I think it will come down to how hard it is to get off the roof w/o damaging the fiberglass....

NCICUSA

Jan 8, 2012
S. SHORE /LAKE ERIE/Oh
On most of the ambulances I have been in, there is some access panel(s) in the cab, in the headliner, to get to the antenna and lights on top.

Take a look inside and see if there is anything that looks like it will simply unscrew or unbolt.

There should be an access space in between the outside roof and the headliner.

The legs of the lightbar may even have a reinforcement under the fiberglass, as well as the antenna, for grounding.

I have even had soft headliners with zippers down the center to access as well as velcro.

Fiberglass or metal bodies , will need rubber plugs after the items are removed.

They are available in several sizes to stop leakage.

That light seems to have a lot of uses in a second life.

Good luck.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Get it! I have a 3 rotator, 4 strobe with sweeps,quad td, alley, and arrow.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
NCICUSA said:
On most of the ambulances I have been in, there is some access panel(s) in the cab, in the headliner, to get to the antenna and lights on top.

Take a look inside and see if there is anything that looks like it will simply unscrew or unbolt.

There should be an access space in between the outside roof and the headliner.

The legs of the lightbar may even have a reinforcement under the fiberglass, as well as the antenna, for grounding.

I have even had soft headliners with zippers down the center to access as well as velcro.

Fiberglass or metal bodies , will need rubber plugs after the items are removed.

They are available in several sizes to stop leakage.

That light seems to have a lot of uses in a second life.

Good luck.

Yeah, I can see where to disconnect it, but the bolts are so rusted I'll have to cut them, which I am worried about doing in the area up over he cab.... I pulled the same bar off this truck's twin (not in good shape) and it was a lot of trouble because of rusted bolts in a tight space. There is a panel in the interior roof to get to the bolts, and I was pretty successful plugging the holes last time (the only easy part). My concern is just how much worse these bolts look than the ones I did last time. I am considering pulling the bar and leaving the mounts, the painter or plumber won't care. I'm just not sure I want to go through the hassle of all this and still technically have to go through the trouble of "bidding $1" when I'm done (county policy). If it were a type of bar I really collect I'd go for it no questioned asked.....

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I like it. You should definitely try and save it if the opportunity presents itself. I have five MX7000's. Three of them have strobes in the lower level. I don't have one that has strobes on the upper level like that. I am a fan of halogen/strobe combo bars.

NCICUSA

Jan 8, 2012
S. SHORE /LAKE ERIE/Oh
JohnMarcson said:
Yeah, I can see where to disconnect it, but the bolts are so rusted I'll have to cut them, which I am worried about doing in the area up over he cab.... I pulled the same bar off this truck's twin (not in good shape) and it was a lot of trouble because of rusted bolts in a tight space. There is a panel in the interior roof to get to the bolts, and I was pretty successful plugging the holes last time (the only easy part). My concern is just how much worse these bolts look than the ones I did last time. I am considering pulling the bar and leaving the mounts, the painter or plumber won't care. I'm just not sure I want to go through the hassle of all this and still technically have to go through the trouble of "bidding $1" when I'm done (county policy). If it were a type of bar I really collect I'd go for it no questioned asked.....

John,

Look into picking up a "nut cracker" for your ratchet set.

It makes the old rusty nuts easier to removed without a lot of damage.

They surround the rusty nut, and apply pressure to the nut with points of metal, that cut the nut into two or more parts.

I "borrowed" one from my local repair shop what I had to do this with fibergalss cabs in the past, wayyyy in the past.

Before that I had use products like WD-40 but they were must more effctive than the WD.

I just don't remember their product name.

I got them at auto parts stores.

Is the Lightbar for sale or the entire squad?

Sure looks like a good Ohio flea market vehicle.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
NCICUSA said:
John,

Look into picking up a "nut cracker" for your ratchet set.

It makes the old rusty nuts easier to removed without a lot of damage.

They surround the rusty nut, and apply pressure to the nut with points of metal, that cut the nut into two or more parts.

I "borrowed" one from my local repair shop what I had to do this with fibergalss cabs in the past, wayyyy in the past.

Before that I had use products like WD-40 but they were must more effctive than the WD.

I just don't remember their product name.

I got them at auto parts stores.

Is the Lightbar for sale or the entire squad?

Sure looks like a good Ohio flea market vehicle.

I need to update my "stuck fastener kit"... but I'm sure I could get the bar off, but I'm just not sure it's worth it. Sometime in the near future the squad will be auctioned... usually when the units are this old we strip the emergency equipment and sell them as non-emergency vehicles. Sometimes if they are new enough to be put into service we auction them with everything intact. This one will most likely have everything stripped or at least have the colored lenses removed.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
thefiredogg said:
i just put that exact setup bar on our dept chiefs car. the only difference is the center is a rotator not a strobe.

i say get it.

I hope yours has rear lights of some type.... this one had a center oscilaser at one point, but was replaced with the strobe when the gears failed.

NCICUSA

Jan 8, 2012
S. SHORE /LAKE ERIE/Oh
JohnMarcson said:
I need to update my "stuck fastener kit"... but I'm sure I could get the bar off, but I'm just not sure it's worth it. Sometime in the near future the squad will be auctioned... usually when the units are this old we strip the emergency equipment and sell them as non-emergency vehicles. Sometimes if they are new enough to be put into service we auction them with everything intact. This one will most likely have everything stripped or at least have the colored lenses removed.

If you do take it off, and need help doing so, let us know and the Mrs and I will pack a picnic (or McDonalds) and head over to help you out , on a dry & uncold day.

Just need a zip code to get an idea of where.

Lorain County here. 44035 zip.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.