my 1985 gmc sierra FF POV

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
IMG_1634.JPG[/attachment:1jz7kv0a]IMG_1635.JPG[/attachment:1jz7kv0a]IMG_1633.JPG[/attachment:1jz7kv0a]

signal strobes in the grill and the tail lights,LED outfitters interior lightbar, and wig-wag high beams.

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
not bad man mixing the old with the new looks pretty good. you should change the grill lights to led to would look nice

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
ill get day pics soon. i used to have a mini whelen responder on the rear bumper before i had the strobes.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Station 3 said:
TwinSonic baby

Do It :cool:
Not bad, but they're horrible for fuel economy, even on an old gas guzzler like that - I'd go for an AeroTwin. Or even one of the Jet series - Jetsonic for old-school, Jetstream for midrange, JetSolaris for modern lights in an old-school package. Or maybe even an LP...?

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
can't have exterior roof-mount lightbars on POVs at my station. kinda sucks because i was gonna mount a MX7000 all rotator until i found out

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
hitechrednex said:
can't have exterior roof-mount lightbars on POVs at my station. kinda sucks because i was gonna mount a MX7000 all rotator until i found out
oh, harsh...

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
hitechrednex said:
would they get mad at an old big beacon

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
florida highway patrol says that any light mounted to the top of a vehicle requires the vehicle to be labeled fire/rescue on all four sides, and the department name/emblem on the doors. really sucks, but FHP actually pulled the chief over a few years back and almost gave him a ticket for having a four bulb rotator without any labels.

medicandy

May 21, 2010
NC
hitechrednex said:
florida highway patrol says that any light mounted to the top of a vehicle requires the vehicle to be labeled fire/rescue on all four sides, and the department name/emblem on the doors. really sucks, but FHP actually pulled the chief over a few years back and almost gave him a ticket for having a four bulb rotator without any labels.

Reminde me not to move to Florida. :D

Truck looks good.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
BAKE19 said:
Looks good, but with an older truck like that... I would have settled for a mini rotator lightbar on a ladder rack or something.
He can't have external lights.

I'd prefer something that would match the time period, like maybe a red/white Code 3 Dashlaser M (standard speed) and a pair of red halogen grille lights, and a pair of red and amber halogen flashers in the rear headliner.

Does anyone know if strobe grille lights were common in '85?

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
hitechrednex said:

It doesn't cease to amaze me that patrol cops would actually have time and timely knowledge to bother with such things for a legit fire chief. I mean, those are regs you don't really refer to on a daily basis, compared to speeding, safety belts, burnt headlights, licence plates stickers and the likes...

dieselbear09

Jul 19, 2010
Florida
316.2398 Display or use of red warning signals; motor vehicles of volunteer firefighters or medical staff.--

(1) A privately owned vehicle belonging to an active firefighter member of a regularly organized volunteer firefighting company or association, while en route to the fire station for the purpose of proceeding to the scene of a fire or other emergency or while en route to the scene of a fire or other emergency in the line of duty as an active firefighter member of a regularly organized firefighting company or association, or a privately owned vehicle belonging to a medical staff physician or technician of a medical facility licensed by the state, while responding to an emergency in the line of duty, may display or use red warning signals visible from the front and from the rear of such vehicle, subject to the following restrictions and conditions:

(a) No more than two red warning signals may be displayed.

( B) No inscription of any kind may appear across the face of the lens of the red warning signal.

© In order for an active volunteer firefighter to display such red warning signals on his or her vehicle, the volunteer firefighter must first secure a written permit from the chief executive officers of the firefighting organization to use the red warning signals, and this permit must be carried by the volunteer firefighter at all times while the red warning signals are displayed.

(2) It is unlawful for any person who is not an active firefighter member of a regularly organized volunteer firefighting company or association or a physician or technician of the medical staff of a medical facility licensed by the state to display on any motor vehicle owned by him or her, at any time, any red warning signals as described in subsection (1).

(3) It is unlawful for an active volunteer firefighter to operate any red warning signals as authorized in subsection (1), except while en route to the fire station for the purpose of proceeding to the scene of a fire or other emergency, or while at or en route to the scene of a fire or other emergency, in the line of duty.

(4) It is unlawful for a physician or technician of the medical staff of a medical facility to operate any red warning signals as authorized in subsection (1), except when responding to an emergency in the line of duty.

(5) A violation of this section is a nonmoving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318. In addition, any volunteer firefighter shall be dismissed from membership in the firefighting organization by the chief executive officers thereof.

*I have never enforced this and most likely never will but I wanted to provide it for reference.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
so, being that my package has one internal lightbar, and one red strobe pack, would this technically be illegal as is?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
hitechrednex said:
so, being that my package has one internal lightbar, and one red strobe pack, would this technically be illegal as is?
I'd think so. It would be very illegal in Virginia.

Virginia allows a max of 2 red or red/white lights (FL doesn't seem to mention white) so most POVs just use a red mini bar. But I think a mini bar is too mundane and too widely use so my preference would be for:

- a two-rotator full size lightbar with cascade mirrors, or

- a red rotating roof beacon plus a red/white Code 3 Dashlaser M for the dash.

It really sucks that you can't use anything on the roof...

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
JLazz1524 said:
Just curious, where in FL are you located?

i am in fruitland park (lake county)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.