My 2009 Tahoe PPV - Strip out Red/White LEDS & Install my gear.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I know many of you saw my for sale listing raising some cash to buy a vehicle and than buying it and selling the equipment from it. Well here it is, a 2009 Tahoe PPV bought used from a dealer with 30k miles that was privately owned. This was a trade in, but I do not know what he traded it for and does not really matter. This was a FF/EMT Fire Marshal & Deputy Chief from a small local Dallas/Fort Worth Texas town. Since it was privately owned it only had one driver and was well taken care of and not driven like a rental car. He must of has kids, because there is a DVD screen in the back headliner. There are only a few scuffs in the rear cargo area, likely from his FF gear. No lightbar or holes from one, just two antenna for the department radios. Otherwise it looks brand new and most of my friends thought it was new and wondered how I got a new PPV, LOL!!

Well I removed all the lights & siren that would be illegal for me to have as I am not a Firefighter or Peace Officer. I did added my scanner, GPS, MP3 player and will add my CB & HAM radio soon. I also added a cheap switch box for misc equipment, LED fog driving lights, HAW strobes (Legal ones), rear amber Talons (coming soon) and for anything else. I am a freelance news Videographer so there are some occasions I need rear lighting if I am stopped on the side of the road. This is not uncommon as some of the local stations have arrow lights & HAW strobes in their vehicles. I removed the Whelen Siren, kept the speaker and added a Whelen PAP112 with floor pedal switch. I also have a small SD camcorder to record other drivers habits, but I have to remember to keep the battery charged. I added a factory leather wrap steering wheel with radio controls, works great and much safer controlling the radio. I am looking for carpet as the next purchase as I really do not like the rubber floor, but not going to spend $300 on one.

The day I bought it from the dealer. Normally they would disconnect everything, but I am a repeat customer and they knew I was going to remove it. This is my third Tahoe I have bought from them in the last two years. This one I am keeping, the other two I sold. Yes it is a "Chevy Defender" from the dealer here in Texas that came up with the name, Holiday Chevrolet.

Video before I removed the lights:

YouTube - ‪2009 Tahoe PPV‬‏

aimages15.fotki.com_v230_photos_9_14219_9880354_2009Tahoe_PPVJuly603_vi.jpg

aimages58.fotki.com_v511_photos_9_14219_9880354_2009Tahoe_PPVJuly613_vi.jpg

Equipment removed and mine added. The Talons below the Whelen arrow were removed and the 911EP was swapped with amber modules. The cargo trunk is still there and perfect for my camera gear.

aimages55.fotki.com_v1603_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV11_vi.jpg

aimages49.fotki.com_v1507_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV03_vi.jpg

aimages17.fotki.com_v529_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV06_vi.jpg

aimages115.fotki.com_v607_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV07_vi.jpg

aimages112.fotki.com_v355_photos_9_14219_9897743_4e1cb776_vi.jpg

aimages55.fotki.com_v268_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV18_vi.jpg

aimages15.fotki.com_v246_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV20_vi.jpg

aimages12.fotki.com_v616_photos_9_14219_9897743_09TahoePPV17_vi.jpg

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Well here goes....I have no doubt my reply will not be popular, but I will tell it like I see it.....

2009 Chevy Defender = 2009 Police Impersonator SUV.

I've worked in the Emergency Services Industry for the past 12 years beside numerous high ranking professional photo/videographer(s) from all of our Countries top news stations (radio/television) in addition to print. I've never once seen the necessity to have HAW's, Talon's, Traffic Advisor(s), and or rear LED's. While I have seen the appropriate use of a single can strobe by itself or in addition to traffic advisor, I don't see the requirement for so much lighting. Now before we travel down the garden path of "well I take photos of emergency scenes/incidents, and I want to be seen/safe", let's re-analyze your role. It isn't to protect life, property and/or render assistance. It is to obtain video footage, for journalistic purposes. Does obtaining footage of such "dangerous" incident require you to be in precarious locations/situations/positions, I'll again ask what your role is, and quite frankly state you just might not have to put yourself in that position.

While the media (all forms) does have a vital role to play, one will argue, no one, wishes/expects (minus some drooling at the tooth editor) a photo/videographer to place themselves in harms way to score the perfect frame/footage.

Then we have the air horn, and the small SD camcorder to record other drivers habits. What in the world requires you to need an electronic air horn that can't be accomplished with the standard factory/OEM horn. Aside from garnering some unwanted attention, I'd pretty much say nothing unless your operating an emergency vehicle or driving through a farm/zoo where you might wish for the animals to clear the right of way.

Regarding the recording of other drivers habits, unless I'm out of touch with reality/current practices (American LEO's, correct me if I'm wrong), you'd want a trailing/paced history of other drivers behaviour, driving in a care/reckless manner which can truly only be achieved in a couple of manners; following in a Police vehicle for an extended period of time, aerial support, or break the laws yourself and act in a similar manner in which your observing in order to record the offence(s). That, in addition to a formal written manner of driving statement, and potentially verbal testimony required in court, can you successfully prosecute for traffic offences.

I applaud you on your purchase, and believe you've done a bang up job on installing your equipment. I just question it's necessity. I'd recommend you purchase yourself a good 360 degree amber beacon (Code 3 550 or FS Sentry) if you really need to park in hazardous situations, maybe even consider putting some reflective stripping (white reflective 3M or white paint/tail gate/bumper) to add a more subtle approach.

Sorry if I offended you, but I call what I see.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Thank you TJW for being my meatshield, didn't want to be the first jeer. OP, you would look 50% the whacker with this post if your entertainment center wasn't showing the intro to COPS.

I got the same vibe. Although I don't really have a problem with having ambers equipped, at all, the fact that you explicitly intended to use it professionally has be a bit teetered. As for the SD Camcorder, please do. The more people with dash cams the better, but it is very important to remember to use a wired auxiliary recorder (try to hide the video cable with the power cable, I use an additional sheath over them). If someone did something worth hiding, they will most definitely try to destroy evidence of it. As for the talons, no, not necessary. MAYBE two singles, but not two duals, that's just unnecessary and definitely pushing into whacktown territory. HAW+Traffic Advisor should do the job just fine.

The air horn, yeah, that's where you lost me. Just makes me think that someone wanted to look like that had a siren. Unless you just wanted better horn with PA functionality (which outside of a state of emergency, I doubt you'd get to use).

In the end, I prefer amber runners who admit they just want blinkies over ones who try to justify it. As long as you don't abuse them, I really wouldn't care even if you kept the R/W installed (though since you said you wanted to use the amber blinkies, R/W use would be abuse...).

Remember, police impersonation can't be accidental, it requires intent.

And not all media is vital. We would be better off without 99% of it, for that 99% is crap that doesn't deserve to be called news.

Last edited by a moderator:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Not sure where anyone had the idea that there are R/W LED lights in my Tahoe other then the corner strobes I mentioned that I actually have been keeping disconnected because they are really not needed. I said I removed and sold what ever was not legal for me to have in Texas, that was the siren and LED that were Red & white. Everything other then the mini camcorder was already installed and the dual Talons in the rear were removed as I said and blacked out to indicate they were not there anymore. The headlight and tail light flasher was disconnected as it alternated and the backup lights flashed, illegal in Texas. I may install two single Talons in the rear because those 5mm LED do not push through the tint well, but I am probably going to change the 5mm for CON3 LEDs.

If one does not understand the importance of a video system to provide documentation of other bad drivers habits if they hit you, then nothing I can say will make it clear.

The Driver Safety and Driver Productivity System | Driver Risk Management

This was my 2008 Tahoe PPV that I had for about 6 months and sold with 103k miles last year. I probably should have kept it, but it had 100k+ miles and was city owned. The only equipment I had was the airhorn with speaker, the aux PAR36 white LED driving lights and my scanners. Installed a factory center console so I had cup holders and storage. No lights as it did not have any when I bought it and I did not install any. The 2005 Tahoe SSV I traded in had no lights in it, just my airhorn setup and same SD camera. Only reason my 2009 has them is that the ones I would be allowed to use were already installed.

[Broken External Image]:http://images30.fotki.com/v42/photos/9/14219/8678919/4bd7574d-vi.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://images38.fotki.com/v1222/photos/9/14219/9133622/2008Tahoe_17-vi.jpg

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
K9Vic said:
Not sure where anyone had the idea that there are R/W LED lights in my Tahoe other then the corner strobes I mentioned that I actually have been keeping disconnected because they are really not needed. I said I removed and sold what ever was not legal for me to have in Texas, that was the siren and LED that were Red & white. Everything other then the mini camcorder was already installed and the dual Talons in the rear were removed as I said and blacked out to indicate they were not there anymore. The headlight and tail light flasher was disconnected as it alternated and the backup lights flashed, illegal in Texas. I may install two single Talons in the rear because those 5mm LED do not push through the tint well, but I am probably going to change the 5mm for CON3 LEDs.

K9Vic said:
I also added a cheap switch box for misc equipment, LED fog driving lights, HAW strobes (Legal ones), rear amber Talons (coming soon) and for anything else.
No one said anything about still having R/W, and I know all I said is that IDC but law's the law.

As for the talons, yes, I had forgotten about rear flasher laws in Texas. Two rear talons w/o HAWs, that I can get behind. And just to throw in some ELB support, consider getting one of Microman's new 3w 4" bars.

Overall very nice vehicle. and /support for pretty much it all, even the airhorn. If you feel you have a good enough and it's legal, that should be enough reason. Just saying if you were around here, you'd get harassed all day every day.

cory y

May 21, 2010
I know K9Vic personally and I can say with 100% assurity that he is NOT a whacker, nor does he attempt to BE a whacker.

As for the AMBER lighting, so fucking what? if you have seen some of the Media trucks here in the area, nearly every single one has amber, amber/blue, or amber/white lighting, LED and Strobes. Shooting Video on the side of our major Highways is quite commonplace here. be it for fatality scenes, weather, or other special interest stories. Now keep in mind when they do that, they are always up on the frontage roads, overpasses or other side street NEVER actually ON the highway. I dont mind then sitting on a Frontage road with their lights flashing or arrow... arrowing.

there are far too many whacker hunters here on this board. things are not always "oh look hes got lights hes impersonating"

And big deal hes got a tahoe... This is freaking Dallas/Ft Worth, TEXAS. Tahoes are so commonplace that they dont stick out in any way shape or form... Hell in the time its taken me to type this response Ive seen 6 tahoes pass by my window. The general public is not going to see this Vehicle and automatically scream.. "OMG its a COP!"

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
TJW said:
I'd recommend you purchase yourself a good 360 degree amber beacon (Code 3 550 or FS Sentry)

A beacon would be smart.. but at the same time I think he should keep the talons. With SUVs it can at times be hard to see bars or beacons on the top.

If he had a TD in the back I would disagree completely but I think a beacon and those 2 single talons would be perfect for his needs.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
cory y said:
I know K9Vic personally and I can say with 100% assurity that he is NOT a whacker, nor does he attempt to BE a whacker.

As for the AMBER lighting, so fucking what? if you have seen some of the Media trucks here in the area, nearly every single one has amber, amber/blue, or amber/white lighting, LED and Strobes. Shooting Video on the side of our major Highways is quite commonplace here. be it for fatality scenes, weather, or other special interest stories. Now keep in mind when they do that, they are always up on the frontage roads, overpasses or other side street NEVER actually ON the highway. I dont mind then sitting on a Frontage road with their lights flashing or arrow... arrowing.

there are far too many whacker hunters here on this board. things are not always "oh look hes got lights hes impersonating"

And big deal hes got a tahoe... This is freaking Dallas/Ft Worth, TEXAS. Tahoes are so commonplace that they dont stick out in any way shape or form... Hell in the time its taken me to type this response Ive seen 6 tahoes pass by my window. The general public is not going to see this Vehicle and automatically scream.. "OMG its a COP!"

Quite the overreactionary. I used the word "whacker" twice in my post, and in both they were really only situational. I don't personally have a problem with any of his equipment, I just find that it just barely fits the definition, objectively speaking. I can't imagine anyone who would disagree that the entertainment console with the "COPS" intro doesn't help, and I specifically said HAW+Talons are unnecessary. Probably should have said one or the other, but I just said Talons are unnecessary with HAW (which itself is basically saying 75% of HAW or Talons, not both).

Hell, I have a dash-mounted camera too (albeit it's on a tan subcompact that really cannot be mistaken for any GOV). Only use it because I can't stand philly cops (who just LOVE to harass those who CC) or the PPA, and it helps a lot when getting things overturned. Your word vs meter maid or your camera vs meter maid, take your pick. Amazon.com solar trickle chargers keep the battery from going dead, and voila. Just my $0.02.

EDIT: Done with this thread unless something of significance happens

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
I record COPS on my DVR and watch it very regularly. It's entertaining, exciting, and often times humorous. There is a reason the show has been in production for as long as it has...because police officers have a front row ticket to the best show on earth.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
TJW said:
Well here goes....I have no doubt my reply will not be popular, but I will tell it like I see it.....

2009 Chevy Defender = 2009 Police Impersonator SUV.

I've worked in the Emergency Services Industry for the past 12 years beside numerous high ranking professional photo/videographer(s) from all of our Countries top news stations (radio/television) in addition to print. I've never once seen the necessity to have HAW's, Talon's, Traffic Advisor(s), and or rear LED's. While I have seen the appropriate use of a single can strobe by itself or in addition to traffic advisor, I don't see the requirement for so much lighting. Now before we travel down the garden path of "well I take photos of emergency scenes/incidents, and I want to be seen/safe", let's re-analyze your role. It isn't to protect life, property and/or render assistance. It is to obtain video footage, for journalistic purposes. Does obtaining footage of such "dangerous" incident require you to be in precarious locations/situations/positions, I'll again ask what your role is, and quite frankly state you just might not have to put yourself in that position.

While the media (all forms) does have a vital role to play, one will argue, no one, wishes/expects (minus some drooling at the tooth editor) a photo/videographer to place themselves in harms way to score the perfect frame/footage.

Then we have the air horn, and the small SD camcorder to record other drivers habits. What in the world requires you to need an electronic air horn that can't be accomplished with the standard factory/OEM horn. Aside from garnering some unwanted attention, I'd pretty much say nothing unless your operating an emergency vehicle or driving through a farm/zoo where you might wish for the animals to clear the right of way.

Regarding the recording of other drivers habits, unless I'm out of touch with reality/current practices (American LEO's, correct me if I'm wrong), you'd want a trailing/paced history of other drivers behaviour, driving in a care/reckless manner which can truly only be achieved in a couple of manners; following in a Police vehicle for an extended period of time, aerial support, or break the laws yourself and act in a similar manner in which your observing in order to record the offence(s). That, in addition to a formal written manner of driving statement, and potentially verbal testimony required in court, can you successfully prosecute for traffic offences.

I applaud you on your purchase, and believe you've done a bang up job on installing your equipment. I just question it's necessity. I'd recommend you purchase yourself a good 360 degree amber beacon (Code 3 550 or FS Sentry) if you really need to park in hazardous situations, maybe even consider putting some reflective stripping (white reflective 3M or white paint/tail gate/bumper) to add a more subtle approach.

Sorry if I offended you, but I call what I see.

What does necessity have to do with anything? No one, including yourself buys what they need, people buy what they like.

Does he need any of this, including the vehicle.......no. But he wanted it, bought it, and has it set up in compliance with the laws of the State where he resides.

What kind of car or truck do you own?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Its a Chevrolet Tahoe, not a Chevy Defender. A plastic badge does not make it so! That was gay then and is gay now!

Very few of the station photo journalists have warning lights. None have blue. The 1 truck with the arrow is the father of an ex board member, and he was affiliated with the local fox news station. It is his own truck. It used to be all the major news stations provided Caprice's and crown vic's so the photographers could blend into a crime scene, and could haul ass to the next breaking story. No doubt that will help K9Vic's thoughts as a stringer.

K9vic is a good guy, and while his intentions might be good, the vehicle is a cop look alike. It would make a great LEO vehicle, but it's not, it just looks like one. It makes for a dangerous situation when a bad guy decides he is going to shoot the next cop he see's and we have that sickness going on in our part of the State. But its his money, and it will cause security gaurds all over to be sooo jealous.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ISU_Cyclone said:
I record COPS on my DVR and watch it very regularly. It's entertaining, exciting, and often times humorous. There is a reason the show has been in production for as long as it has...because police officers have a front row ticket to the best show on earth.

lol I do the same.. My DVR is set to record all episodes of COPS, K9 Cops of St. Paul MN, K9 of Broward County, & Police Women of Broward County. So when I am actually off from the Fire Dept or Sheriff Dept i have something to watch.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
For the record, I have never, EVER, seen the following news headline: "Civilian Shot and Killed in Case of Mistaken Identity with Vehicle that Resembled Patrol Vehicle". Ever.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
fireman616wfd said:
lol I do the same.. My DVR is set to record all episodes of COPS, K9 Cops of St. Paul MN, K9 of Broward County, & Police Women of Broward County. So when I am actually off from the Fire Dept or Sheriff Dept i have something to watch.

You I could share the remote with. Haha.

K9 of Broward County still on? Saw a couple episodes, but nothing in awhile.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
HILO said:
Its a Chevrolet Tahoe, not a Chevy Defender. A plastic badge does not make it so! That was gay then and is gay now!

Very few of the station photo journalists have warning lights. None have blue. The 1 truck with the arrow is the father of an ex board member, and he was affiliated with the local fox news station. It is his own truck. It used to be all the major news stations provided Caprice's and crown vic's so the photographers could blend into a crime scene, and could haul ass to the next breaking story. No doubt that will help K9Vic's thoughts as a stringer.

K9vic is a good guy, and while his intentions might be good, the vehicle is a cop look alike. It would make a great LEO vehicle, but it's not, it just looks like one. It makes for a dangerous situation when a bad guy decides he is going to shoot the next cop he see's and we have that sickness going on in our part of the State. But its his money, and it will cause security gaurds all over to be sooo jealous.

Yeah I know you do not like the "Chevy Defender" name being that you had some input on the older B-Body Caprice PPV & Tahoe PPV development.

I have never seen a media SUV or car with blue lights, but the local CBS station has a few Tahoe SUVs with the rear arrow lights. I know who you are talking about, the father of the x-ELB board member. His truck has more then just an arrow light with LED in front and rear with a Ranch Hand bull bar. I have seen it a few times, but never took any pictures of it out of respect to his privacy. If he or his son wanted to post pictures of it, they would have been posted. My choice of vehicle is simply what I have been buying and selling for the last 12 years, x-cop cars because they are cheap to buy an easy to turn. I do avoid the CVPI now as there are way too many of these vomit commits on the streets and auction prices are ridiculous after it was announced production would end. This 09 just happen to be a good vehicle to keep for 5+ years with the low miles and private use.

I am what you would call a extremely part time stringer, last police chase that ended near my house I just stayed home watching it on TV. If it is not 5-10 miles from my location, I do not go and definitely do not speed and drive reckless getting there. Last speeding ticket I got was in 2003 in a speed trap that was later called one by the state of Texas with invalid speeds per state regulations of a highway. I deferentially stay away from violent crime scenes, let the full time news crews handle them.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ISU_Cyclone said:
You I could share the remote with. Haha.

K9 of Broward County still on? Saw a couple episodes, but nothing in awhile.

No it's not and I'm pissed about it, I emailed them to ask what was up lol. Waiting on a reply... But I have k9 of St. Paul to hold me over.

L

lvlr_Regulator

My two cents…

K9Vic, who I do not know mind you, has striped this vehicle to be legal as per Texas Transportation Code. Section 547.305 statute, providing that he is, in fact, running amber prerequisites to allow for safety covering a moving or still occurrence. Some may say that the DFW media on their vehicles don’t have that much lighting, and I have to be honest, they don’t, in fact I haven’t seen no more than a triple flash strobe can atop of their satellite boom. But some of us forget that this is his personal vehicle, he can do what he wants with it, so long that the actions and in this case, equipment, are permissible to the cities agency and/or municipality standard(s). Its his money and more importantly, his choice…

Aside from the fact that he operated this vehicle in its emergency state at the dealership and however long or far there after his purchase, does not mean that it is an emergency vehicle at the current.

As for dangerous situations, that could be anywhere, and at any given time. Some of you haven’t taken a stroll on Texas freeways and in cities streets lately… I certainly can’t pass judgment to how much equipment he needs to use, but for Fort Worth, his current equipment isn’t enough...

The air horn, could be useful where the factory horn would fail to reach out and touch someone. It’s there if needed and if warranted.

As I have not interest in videoing habits of any other driver in Texas. He does. However, I don’t see where he made the comment of following anyone to achieve this task, or even driving for that matter. Can he not be stationary to do this? Does the circumstance have to be wreckless? Does the police have to be involved? Or did you perhaps take his contributing topic out of context?

The fact that he did so happen to purchase a PPV and it did so happen to have red, blue and white lighting make it looks like an official unmarked vehicle. I have a virgin 2010 Tahoe PPV also. Its our money, can we not purchase these types of vehicles for our own use, much less getting criticized on how we dress it up if it falls within legal/legitimate standards?

BTW, nice rig K9Vic. :thumbsup:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
cory y said:

I too know K9Vic. I have even ridden in his new Tahoe. He is not a whacker! An eccentric hobbyist or enthusiast would be my description. I liken his interest to that of some private pilot buying an ex-military plane and flying it. K9Vic goes to great lengths to insure that his vehicles are completely legally equipped.

I suggest that the critics look elsewhere for a valued forum member to find fault with.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
lvlr_Regulator said:
Aside from the fact that he operated this vehicle in its emergency state at the dealership and however long or far there after his purchase, does not mean that it is an emergency vehicle at the current.

Drove it back home and stopped by Retired1 place to show it to him and we went to dinner, than after I went home and parked it in my driveway. Woke up the next morning and stripped everything out of it that was not legal for me to have.

lvlr_Regulator said:
As I have not interest in videoing habits of any other driver in Texas. He does. However, I don’t see where he made the comment of following anyone to achieve this task, or even driving for that matter. Can he not be stationary to do this? Does the circumstance have to be wreckless? Does the police have to be involved? Or did you perhaps take his contributing topic out of context?

With fuel at $3.60 a gallon and a 15mpg city, I drove as little as possible in my past 4 Tahoes I have owned in the last 2 years. I drive my 85 diesel military K5 Blazer more that is about 20mpg, but right now it is too hot as it has no A/C. Most of the time my battery is dead, SD card is full or I just forget to hit record. It is more there if I run across a drunk for the police to use as evidence, but as sated before I do not go searching for anything.

lvlr_Regulator said:
I certainly can’t pass judgment to how much equipment he needs to use, but for Fort Worth, his current equipment isn’t enough...

True, but I do not want to be tagged as a whacker and my city has a few of them that are major over board. One guy has a Whelen 12 strobe duplex on his S10 Blazer and TIR3 on the rear tail gate, but he just moved to McKinney, I am sure Plano and Allen will love him, LOL. Then there are the Auto Rescue nuts that have illegal lightbars on their vehicles, but one of the was busted by Fort Worth and took it off.

Retired1 said:
I too know K9Vic. I have even ridden in his new Tahoe. He is not a whacker! An eccentric hobbyist or enthusiast would be my description. I liken his interest to that of some private pilot buying an ex-military plane and flying it. K9Vic goes to great lengths to insure that his vehicles are completely legally equipped.

I suggest that the critics look elsewhere for a valued forum member to find fault with.

Thank you, this is coming from a Police Officer that I purchased a vehicle from and removed the siren and Whelen red/blue lightbar the day I got it home (well changed it to all amber). I do my best to know the laws and comply with the laws and that is amber and no siren of any kind that can be turned on accidentally. If I cannot disable the siren tones like with a Cencom Gold, it is not going in my vehicle.

I probably will take out the equipment console and install the same factory console in time as the 2008 Tahoe picture I posted. I do have the Jotto desk top console that I can install my scanner, arrow controller and HAM radio or something else. There really is no need for the equipment console, but it was there and right now I am making use of it. I prefer the factory console, but right now I do not have the spare cash to get one. Plus I want to get the carpet first as I hate the rubber floor.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
ISU_Cyclone said:

Cops DO have a front row ticket to the best show on earth. however... FIREFIGHTERS ARE THE BEST SHOW!!!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
NCFD43 said:
Cops DO have a front row ticket to the best show on earth. however... FIREFIGHTERS ARE THE BEST SHOW!!!

Most folks go to work, then come home and WATCH the news.

Police, FireFighters, and EMS go to work and ARE the news!

NHFD104

May 25, 2010
Raleigh, NC
You know, it's a sweet ride. It's legal to own. You didn't use a dime of my money to buy it. What you do with it is your business. If the local police have an issue with it, I am quite sure they will let you know.

Is it a bit whacker? Yes, it is. But, it's yours to do with as you please. Every single one of us on this board (whether they admit or not) has done something that was over the top. Pretty much all of us have more lights than we really need. Anybody that has responded via POV for more than five years can remember responding with nothing more than a single rotating halogen dash light. How many of us still respond that way? Very few I am sure. If we do, it's probably because it's all we can afford....for the moment.

I have owned three Crown Victoria former police cars. I bought them because they were priced right, could stand up to the way I drive, and they were what I wanted. It was my money. I spent it the way I saw fit. They were great cars, right up to the point they got totaled. For some reason, they all seemed to be magnets for idiot drivers. Oh well....

Enjoy your Tahoe.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
lvlr_Regulator said:
. Some may say that the DFW media on their vehicles don’t have that much lighting, and I have to be honest, they don’t, in fact I haven’t seen no more than a triple flash strobe can atop of their satellite boom.

Oh so FAIL! I know for a fact, as I did the installs, of 3 ENG vans with Strobe HAW's in the parking/tail lights, strobe roof beacons. 1 ENG with LED HAW's, and 2 LED roof beacons. 2 ENG vans with Code 3 XT3 LED's front and rear, and strobe roof beacons. There are also a dozen mixed year Explorers with TLF's or strobe HAWS, or behind the glass LED's that the photographers drive.

AS for the metroplex highways, K9Vic is smart enough to stay off them in in situations where lights migt be needed, as he has seen some of the same wrecks I have. So his lights are plenty, I have less lights in my car now, and they are still more than enough.

It's a sharp looking tahoe. I would love to have a PPV and put some real sport rims, no spotlight or push bumper, carpet, console, leather, and make it as real of a SS Tahoe as there is.

I know his intentions are good, but it looks to much like a LEO car for my comfort. All it takes is one jack ass to ruin it for the good intentioned people. That too, I know for a fact.

cory y

May 21, 2010
HILO said:
I know his intentions are good, but it looks to much like a LEO car for my comfort. All it takes is one jack ass to ruin it for the good intentioned people. That too, I know for a fact.

Coughdougcough

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
HILO said:
It's a sharp looking tahoe. I would love to have a PPV and put some real sport rims, no spotlight or push bumper, carpet, console, leather, and make it as real of a SS Tahoe as there is.

Spotlights on a 07+ Tahoe are annoying, they get in the way of your view to the left when stowed down. This is why you almost always see Tahoe with the spotlight up and even with the A-Pillar, so you can see to the left.

Because of this, I removed it this afternoon for that reason and another one. At the car wash the cloth top brushes snag on the spot light and today one of the broke off. This also happened on my 08 Tahoe once as well. Since I plan to keep this a long time and use the car wash in addition being able to see to the left, I removed it (Keeping the spotlight up all the time is whacker in my opinion). The other stuff will stay and as much as I like nice allow wheels, the black steel wheel look I actually like on a white vehicle. though the SS Tahoe is a good idea and being a PPV it is already lowered with the high performance programming.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Retired1 said:
He didn't mean K9Vic. I know - I asked

I knew as well he was not referring to myself, I know HILO and we often talk about the local whackers that get busted with illegal lights and equipment. It is a competition for either of us to be first to post the news links here, LOL!!!

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I can't stand wacktards and this truck does not appear imho a wacktardmobile. I love it. Looks awesome and I am totally jealous. I'd get rid of the speaker on the bumper and hide it. Just my opinion and not giving you any shit. I just think it looks stupid on there like, say...hmmmm........aHUGE spoiler on a Honda Civic.....or keep it as you may like it.....when you're done with the truck please send it to MA. Thanks, Steve

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
WS224 said:
What does necessity have to do with anything? No one, including yourself buys what they need, people buy what they like.

Does he need any of this, including the vehicle.......no. But he wanted it, bought it, and has it set up in compliance with the laws of the State where he resides.

What kind of car or truck do you own?

WS224,

I own a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero, and a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander (neither of which have any emergency lighting/siren). Still can't figure out what that question has to do with my comments/thread, but there is your answer.

Also, does anyone have a quick link to the State of Texas Motor Vehicle regulations/legislation pertaining to regulations?

Good dialogue so far everybody.

Thanks,

TJ

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Windows were tinted today, looks much better and will help with these 100+ degree heat days we have been having for the last month. My tint guy is very good at matching the rear tint and I have been using him for 4 years now. I have never had a problem with the tint and he does offer free fixes if does not set right.

aimages58.fotki.com_v154_photos_9_14219_9897743_IMG_1145_vi.jpg

aimages18.fotki.com_v87_photos_9_14219_9897743_IMG_1148_vi.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.