My 2016 Interceptor Utility

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Here is my new 2016 Utility.

This replaced my 2010 Explorer - http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/my-issued-2010-ford-explorer.56147/#post-551434

Has less then 1000 on it right now. We have two 2016s in the fleet now. I have one, and my Sgt has the other.

Since our units are issued to us, they let me put in my own XTL5000 110 watt radio, and I also purchased the Gamber Johnson Console (other unit has a Jotto Desk, and a Kenwood dash mount.

2016 Ford Police Interceptor:
Dark Car
Ford Rear Warning with IONs in rear window and hatch
Rear Cargo Dome Light

Lightbar:
Code-3 21TR - Multicolor - R/B with all white to the front, and rear corners, and R/B/A TA.
Takedowns are corners, TD, and outboards. Center R/B stay flashing.
TA flashes R/A and B/A in warning and all Amber with direction turned on

Interior:
Setina front and rear cages
Gamber Johnson Utility Console - Personal
Motorola XTL5000 Radio - Personal
Rear Whelen IONs in rear window and hatch - Ford Rear Warning
Code-3 XT4? in rear Window - we added a switch to it to kill the light so you can look in cargo area without being blinded.
Whelen CenCom Sapphire
Horn Ring
Park Kill
CF-19 Dock
LED Littlite

Exterior:
Whelen Vertex C/C rear reverse lights and R/B in front corner
Code-3 3-LEDs in grill
No HLF, but I just ordered a Sound Off Signal for it today, so hopefully I can get it put in.

We put on the Graphics after we took delivery. Will add photos in a min.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks good Jason. Looking forward to a YouTube vid of everything.

I'm hoping that you'll consider adding stud mount ions to the upper grill (Such a huge improvement on the newer utility grill design!)

Reactions: Krsdog25

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Looks good. I second the stud mount ions. Those "grille" lights in there are just too low!

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Looks good Jason. Looking forward to a YouTube vid of everything.

I'm hoping that you'll consider adding stud mount ions to the upper grill (Such a huge improvement on the newer utility grill design!)

When my Sgt and I were getting the car finished putting on the graphics, video and radar, I showed him how the grille has the covers where the lights go. I told him there is a way to put LEDs in there. He seemed interested, so it may happen.

We may also add push bumpers to them, which means we will probably take the lights off and mount them to the push bumper.

The other unit is set up the same, only it has a Jotto Desk console.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Front

Rear with no XT6 bar

Rear with XT6

I ordered a Code3 FPP programmer and a Sound Off headlight flasher from SirenNet. That should be here Friday. So I plan on changing up the bar a little.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks good! When you get the stuff in the mail, I would def like to see some sync to the rear of the blue/Amber/red alternating in large footprints.
Also, if u get a PB, please put the small lightheads on the side of it and get larger grill lights for the front ;-)

Reactions: Storm4200

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Looks good! When you get the stuff in the mail, I would def like to see some sync to the rear of the blue/Amber/red alternating in large footprints.
Also, if u get a PB, please put the small lightheads on the side of it and get larger grill lights for the front ;-)

I actually like the rear how it is.

But I am one that uses the traffic advisor on everything. So rear warning flashing is not really an issue since the only cars that see it will be ones I am passing. Lol.

I do plan on trying to reduce the amount of rear warning in position one of I can. I am hoping the software will let me make just the rear corners and maybe one R/A and B/A alternate in the back. Kinda like Warn 1 on a SmartSiren.

For the push bumper, I have a set of split LIN6 R/B heads that I would put on the side and a pair of 400 series red over blue on a pedistal mount that will go to the front.

The smaller ones will probably go on the side and the front of the other unit so we don't have to buy more lights.

I do like the rear as it is now, just too much in 1 for sitting on the side of the road or out with another unit, especially since i don't have any free outputs on the CenCom to use for DIM

I will try to add to 2 steady burn red and blue with two heads also flashing, with no corners. Similar to my old bar.

3 will be everything.

Any installers hook up a HLF, where would be the easiest area to splice into the wiring?

Reactions: Storm4200

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
[QUOTE="PTRJason, post: 572409, member: 13968"

Any installers hook up a HLF, where would be the easiest area to splice into the wiring?[/QUOTE]

I spliced it in right at the headlights. Their is plenty of wire to going to the connectors to splice in a HLF after you undo the tape and remove the small piece of wire loom to expose the wires.

Reactions: PTRJason

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Sweet. Thank you! I love the front ends of the 2016. Just wish they would have got HLF. And Ford sucked at not saying what was included with the packages and if you want a HLF you have to order the front warning package.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Just a little more information to help you out and save some time looking for the correct wires. The positive wire for the high beam on the driver side is gray with a brown stripe and the passenger side is purple with a pink stripe. They are the middle wire on the bottom row of the black connector.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Just a little more information to help you out and save some time looking for the correct wires. The positive wire for the high beam on the driver side is gray with a brown stripe and the passenger side is purple with a pink stripe. They are the middle wire on the bottom row of the black connector.

Thank you so much. I was actually looking a little at it yesterday. Trying to figure out how I was going to run a trip wire.

It looks like the installers used the factory loom in the engine area that ends under the dash. Then they ran their own loom, like a light bar cable harness, to the rear for the CenCom. Looking at their loom, there are a few free wires and a few free ones in the factory unfit one.

So I just have to dig under the dash and connect another wire to each loom and then hook up the matching wire to the CenCom and I will be in business. Do not even have to run wires.

I am just not liking the tight fit behind the headlight.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Thank you so much. I was actually looking a little at it yesterday. Trying to figure out how I was going to run a trip wire.

It looks like the installers used the factory loom in the engine area that ends under the dash. Then they ran their own loom, like a light bar cable harness, to the rear for the CenCom. Looking at their loom, there are a few free wires and a few free ones in the factory unfit one.

So I just have to dig under the dash and connect another wire to each loom and then hook up the matching wire to the CenCom and I will be in business. Do not even have to run wires.

I am just not liking the tight fit behind the headlight.

So I tried to do a quick install before work. They used all the wires in their loom. So I ran a trip wire up to under the steering wheel. To connect to a free wire from Ford.

I tried to find the high beam wires. Are they in the black plug that goes to the drivers side headlight assembly or the huge plug below the two headlight plugs that looks like it has 30 wires in it.

I pulled the black plug off of the drivers side headlight, and checked the wires. Out of the six, I only found one that turned on and off with the high beams. It was the purple pink one.

I had to abondon the install until tomorrow probably. But at least the hard part of running the trip wire is done.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I tried to find the high beam wires. Are they in the black plug that goes to the drivers side headlight assembly or the huge plug below the two headlight plugs that looks like it has 30 wires in it.

I pulled the black plug off of the drivers side headlight, and checked the wires. Out of the six, I only found one that turned on and off with the high beams. It was the purple pink one.

They are the black plugs that goes into the back of both headlights. As I stated in the message you will have to splice the wire on each headlight. They are wired individually.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Here is the final version:

Code-3 sent me a wiring harness to make the steady burn hook up. I had to make it so it would work with the blue steady as well.

I changed the programming on the bar using the Code-3 FPP programmer, which was worth the cost, by the way.

I basically have 4 levels of lighting using just the 3 CenCom outputs. The 21-TR MC bar has basically 7 levels of programming with the three wires.

Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 1 + 2
Level 2 + 3
Level 1 + 3
Level 1 + 2 + 3

So wires for Level 1 are on output 1, 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 to make it progressive.

I made a spare button activate just output 2. The only thing on 2 is the Level 2 wire. For just Level 2, I made one pair of rear LEDs on a slow flash, and the front steady burns. Similar to Warn 1 on a SmartSiren.

Position 1 - is rear Corners on a 115FPM, and a pair of rear LEDs on 60 FPM, flashing color and amber.

Position 2 - is same with another pair of rear on 60 FPM, set to just amber only. Center Red and Blue are on 60 FPM.

Position 3 - Corners go to NFPA 75FPM, front alternate color and white. Front and Rear centers also flash at NFPA 75FPM. Flashing TD at double flash and alleys at quad flash (I think).

Takedown turns on TD and front center LEDs. Alleys turn on front and rear corners, and the alley.

I also programmed a spare button to turn on the outputs for TD, LA and RA. So I can hit one button and turn flood on.

Special thanks to buddek09 with the help for the HLF

I added a SoundOff HLF, which I think completes the whole package nicely.

Sorry for the dirty vehicle. As you can see its been snowing, and finally above freezing, so its making mud.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Love what you've done with your lighting patterns. We probably have the only two vehicles in NV that have steady red/blue. At least your vehicle doesn't show the mud as bad as an all white Tahoe.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Also forgot to mention I installed the gun rack. It's red. But was 127 on eBay and when I got it, it was brand new. The wiring for the locks still was factory stripped. It looks like it was NOS from a dept.

Yes we want to add a bumper to them. But unless I buy them, the department probably won't. So I may save for one.

And I love the steady burn. I know all of Carson City Sheriff units, or most of them have steady red. And I think a few other departments up north. Just because they border CA.

Unless I take 50 miles of back roads there are only two highways to get to the other end of the county. The north is about 100 miles from the county seat and the south way is about 75. The south way the highway goes into CA for 11 miles.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
So an update for everyone. I was issued a 2017 PIU last week. The 2016 only had about 46K on it, but I was given the new one so the 2016 could go to a new deputy that hit a cow with his 2014 PIU, and was in a CVPI now.

I was able to switch over my XLT5000 radio, and a few other things like my cargo box I paid for.

Only downside is that the 2017 is not the EcoBoost so it is SLOWWWWWWW.

But they were able to get a few extra things by not spending the extra money on EcoBoost, like the MirrorBeams, which required the front grille/speaker wiring which let me add the Whelen HLF to the unit, and just connect a wire under the dash. Works amazing!!!

The Code3 21TR Plus MC bar is having some issues with the secondary color LEDs coming on when the bar runs for awhile, but a C3 rep is going to send me all new modules, I guess they had a bad batch at one point.

I decided to not switch my Gamber Johnson console over, so I have a Jotto Desk like all of our other units, and while I like it, I can not mount my computer. And have to order a pole mount.

I am also switching out the CF-19 for a Toughpad FZ-G1, to make it a little bit lighter, and also allow me to flip up the keyboard, or flip the display down. And also allow me to detach the keyboard and use it more comfortably then trying to angle my body to type.

I didn't want the 2017 when I was offered it, but I have had issued with the 2016, including an entire new rear end, so I am hoping I can have a fresh start with the 2017.

I will try to post pics and a video when I get the new modules in.

The headlight flasher was well worth it and looks amazing.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Why do you ned to buy so much for an isued vehicle?

I never saw this. I know its a couple years late, but I like stuff set up a certain way. And it makes my life easier. Having a tablet lets me map cords for search and rescues and see where I need to go. Cell service sucks in our county, especially in the mountains and canyons, so being able to look up on a computer not dependent on the internet is worth its weight in gold.

I have my own radio as our neighboring agency is on Astro. I am the only one that can hear them or talk to them. A few other guys bought handhelds, but its annoying to try to listen to them in my ear when the car radio is better.

I have a storage rack and drawers because we have to be self reliant out here. I carry everything from body bags, to MREs for meals, evidence supplies, thermal camera, tools and pretty much everything in between. We cover 3,500 sq miles and usually only have one person on a time, or if there is another one, they are on the other end of the county.

So I normally get things that make my life easier, or fun.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Update March 2019.

I will be adding some pics and videos of the 2017 FPIU.

I will get getting a 2019 F150 Responder (at least it should be the responder) in the next month or two.

I will post pics of it when I get it.

I supplied a Gamber Johnson workstation console for it, so I could mount the tablet, along with a Mobile Mounts VPDU timer. The XTL5000 radio will be switched over, and I supplied a M/Acom 800 EDACS radio to listen to HP. A Pyramid SVR-250 in vehicle repeater will also be installed.

As for emergency lighting. It is supposed to have a SoundOff lightbar and controller. Hoping for the mPower bar and the controller should be the 400 series remote. Should have a Setina pushbar with LEDs.

Should have a full Setina cage, and gun rack.

After delivery, we will be installing a bed cover and a Decked bed drawer system. We will also be putting a spot light on the driver side, and if it goes well, I will put one on the passenger side.

We will be getting two of these trucks.

Reactions: Hollywood

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.